The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2024, 08:00 PM
Running On Empty

Kenneth - I'll mention this, where golf courses obtain there water (aside from geographic location) is highly dependent on the age of the golf course. Golf courses are rated, as well. The scale is difficult to follow but does demonstrate one significant development which has changed throughout the years; and, that is "design". Lakes can have a different meaning to many folks, but in terms of a golf course, golf course designs have changed throughout the years (as they should). Older golf courses were horribly/terribly designed w/ little or no consideration(s) for ecology, topography and the like. Today, we find many older courses are continually changing/improving their designs (very costly) to be more eco-friendly and less dependent on extraneous sources of water. So, in reference to "lakes", most/any new golf course designs use (more accurately) catchment ponds/lakes - whatever you want to call them. They are designed to catch storm water runoff to fill the lakes located on the property. They may or may not be good solutions again depending on geology/geographic location(s). You have to have an impenetrable basement bed layer to contain and hold this water. Expensive to redesign older courses and some new courses you have to create an impenetrable layer if you don't have some form of bedrock foundation (e.g. WHATEVER!)
Old May 5th, 2024, 08:22 PM
Running On Empty

Bore holes are extremely effective as a source of golf course water. You can call them a well if you like, but a well is constructed from a bore hole. There are some legal ramifications regarding the use of bore holes as a source of water for a golf course. As you can imagine, in some locations this can require a permit - which can be costly since it might require local, municipal & state authorization based on governance. Aquifers are a fragile water resource and many municipalities obtain their potable water from aquifers. The hydrology of an area may not be conducive as a source of water for a golf course. Here again golf course design is a key element in satisfying where and how a golf course obtains its water. The two courses I play use a system of both bore holes & (storm water runoff) lakes. When the lakes get too low, they are replenished from the bore holes. There are tradeoffs (by design of the golf course). They pay a premium to move water around to the various lakes on a golf course if they use bore holes, since they must employ lift stations to move the water high enough to fill the lakes. Most courses (of good design) employ a series of lakes & bore holes where they transfer water from one lake to the next throughout the landscape to maintain water coverage for the elaborate sprinkler systems. It resembles/reminds me of the manner in which they irrigate potatoes, cabbage etc. A series of dykes and dams amongst several hundreds of acres which obtain their water source(s) from bore holes.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; May 5th, 2024 at 08:24 PM.
Old May 6th, 2024, 01:02 AM

My course has 2 lakes, a river and 2 wells. of course, every time the drill a well they buy another fan TO DRY OFF THE GREENS HEY WATER. ITS A BALANCING ACT
Old May 6th, 2024, 01:10 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Boy I must really be touched. Another week starting out with overtime. I usually get up at 215 but today I woke up at 2 and decided what the heck. Actually had breakfast, Tiger had breakfast, and we got to Mom's and I put gas in the car all by 330. And I was the first person into work. Wow. I do like the expressway better at 330.

Mowed yesterday. Wasn't going to but we're supposed to get a lot of rain this week and I'm gonna be gone this weekend. The yard actually looks nice. I still have to put down fertilizer. I supposed it's too late now but hey it can't hurt. I'm worlds ahead of where the yard was when I moved in.

Got some wheels already. Actually they are holdovers from Saturday. That's okay, I'll take care of them and then go see someone in the hangar. Hope everyone has a good start to the week.

Old May 6th, 2024, 01:15 AM
Always room for one more

Hey Norm, I bet you'd know how to do this. How can I get my avatar picture sent somewhere that I can get it copied into a print? I want to hang it on the wall in my house.
Old May 6th, 2024, 04:41 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by slantflat
Hey Norm, I bet you'd know how to do this. How can I get my avatar picture sent somewhere that I can get it copied into a print? I want to hang it on the wall in my house.
Mike - Your Avatar is a picture of a file you uploaded from a computer, phone or mobile device. When you bought your new laptop, did you not transfer any of your files from your old laptop to your new laptop? Good possibility if you have the same phone from which you took the original picture that picture file is still on your phone. If the reason you're asking is because you don't know where the hell that picture is located, you'll have to d/l your Avatar picture. I can show you how to do it, but I'm heading out for a golf tournament. I'll show you how later this afternoon. The issue is going to be sizing the Avatar appropriately so it displays a good image. I have several imaging s/w programs we may be able to blow it up (zoom) to get good quality. See if you can find your original picture file.
Old May 6th, 2024, 05:53 AM
Always room for one more

Norm that picture was taken in 2009, by a woman that was hooked up with the rescue those dogs came from. She must have emailed me that picture, because at that time I would have still had my flip open phone, and I don't remember trying to navigate that to get the picture to show up here. Nevertheless that phone, that computer, long gone. I don't actually remember uploading that picture to CO, and what's funny it magically appeared as my avatar on the Plymouth forum I look at.

I thought if I could retrieve the picture from the website I'd like to have it hanging up in my house. That's the only picture of the three of us.

Old May 6th, 2024, 06:19 AM

Mike - Here's the pic. Maybe Norm can help ya later to enhance the quality with his special software.

Old May 6th, 2024, 06:26 AM
Always room for one more

Thanks Chris.

Old May 6th, 2024, 06:31 AM

Good morning guys,

Got out and mowed yesterday and sure glad I did. Started raining about 8pm last night and rained all night. We're suppossed to continue to have showers thru the morning. More rain in the forecast tomorrow and Wednesday, then we'll finally get a break for a few days. I hope!

Hope ya'll have a great day!
Old May 6th, 2024, 06:34 AM

Thanks Chris.
You're welcome. Just hope Norm can help ya blow it up without losing anymore image quality. Good luck!
Old May 6th, 2024, 01:15 PM

Got 3.125" of rain since last Thursday, and things are finally starting to green up. The dandilions are doing great *&%$!, even though I put pre-emergent weed control on the lawn 3 weeks ago. Cut the grass last weds. I'll have to cut it again real quick. Rain forecast for the next couple of days.
Old May 6th, 2024, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Got 3.125" of rain since last Thursday, and things are finally starting to green up. The dandilions are doing great *&%$!, even though I put pre-emergent weed control on the lawn 3 weeks ago. Cut the grass last weds. I'll have to cut it again real quick. Rain forecast for the next couple of days.
Dan - I believe every damn inch of it. I don’t know how much we've got over the last 3-days, but it's been a bunch, and like I said, more on the way. I'll be bitching I have to irrigate by June!

Edit - I know it has been very wet here for a week, but I wasn't sure how wet so I looked it up. 4.22-inches since May 1st.

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; May 6th, 2024 at 02:11 PM.
Old May 6th, 2024, 02:21 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - My image editing s/w are free versions. There are strikes against you: (1) You don't have the original image file which would retain the best quality regardless of format (.png, .jpg, .jpeg, etc); (2) The only image available is your current Avatar which is (a) a .jpg file (fine for the web, bad for creating a duplicate image); and, (b) CO has already ran their compression algorithm so it's lost significant detail(s) - very difficult to enhance; and, (3) I own free s/w not professional version of imaging s/w. I'll see how well I can enhance your Avatar. This will take several attempts over a couple/several days. I've attempted a couple already and there may be the off-chance you'd like the image in B&W instead of color. When you run compression on an image file on someone's (ClassicOldsmobile) website, you're left at the mercy of the website's compression algorithm (ClassicOldsmobile). We'll just have to see how it plays out. I'll use our NGMT as a test bed - we'll see...we'll see.

Old May 6th, 2024, 02:22 PM

Mike, without the original JPEG or RAW file, you may not be bale to enlarge that pic without serious blurring. I tried with outlook Photo and had no luck. Maybe Norm has a certain skill set.
Old May 6th, 2024, 02:34 PM
Running On Empty

This is a very rough idea of the quality you can expect w/ some very basic s/w maneuvering of the compressed Avatar file. You don't have the original therefore don't expect good detailed quality. I'll try several other attempts when I get more time & we'll see what happens. I'm trying to create image files which demonstrate what the image will look like when it's sent to a printer for photographic paper which you can use in a picture frame.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; May 6th, 2024 at 02:38 PM.
Old May 6th, 2024, 02:55 PM

Norm, you're doing a decent job with the pic. An 8x10 might be out of the question, but a 5x7 might be the ticket.
Old May 6th, 2024, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
This is a very rough idea of the quality you can expect w/ some very basic s/w maneuvering of the compressed Avatar file.
Norm - That already really looks better than I thought it would.
Old May 6th, 2024, 03:09 PM
Running On Empty

Scientergic Renoberation...

Old May 6th, 2024, 03:12 PM
Running On Empty

Another Renoberation...

Old May 6th, 2024, 03:13 PM
Always room for one more

Well thanks guys. If it can't be done that's okay, just thought I'd ask. Actually the picture above is the biggest I've ever seen it, looks okay to me. I had the dogs less than a week when that picture was taken. What if I went to Wolf Camera and showed them the picture Chris posted earlier. Do they have some magic equipment that could do something?

Got home from work and saw that the Chevy was gone. Just then my neighbor called and said he picked it up and was going to do front end bushings and some light electrical. I might get to drive it this month!

We ended work somewhere around last break, because suddenly I noticed no one was working, and at 220 the lead came up and said thanks for doing a great job today. I signed 12 wheels between 4 and 6, and 9 between 6 and 2. So someone was working.

Old May 6th, 2024, 03:18 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - There is nothing mysterious about saving an image - ANY image. You right click on the image (in this case your Avatar - exactly how Chris got the image), and click "Save Image As".
Old May 6th, 2024, 03:25 PM
Always room for one more

It's all PFM to me.

Old May 6th, 2024, 04:12 PM

It's all PFM to me.
I used that phrase on my hygienist friend. She said "porcelain fused metallic....as in crowns?"

You and I speak industrial though, so I know what it really means.
Old May 6th, 2024, 04:29 PM
Running On Empty

Dan - Thanks
Mike - I figured you weren't referring to probability mass function so I had to look it up. You crack me up.
I shot an average game of golf during tournament play. One mild rain shower otherwise a gorgeous day.
Found only one (live) Agkistrodon piscivorus ~3' in length. He was about to make a meal of a little turtle so he wasn't real pleased w/ our intrusion. The course we played today has numerous no shoulder varieties.
Old May 6th, 2024, 04:33 PM

Here's Phoenix rainfall totals for last year and so far this year:

https://www.weather.gov/psr/PRI

Old May 6th, 2024, 04:42 PM
Running On Empty

~0.50" more rainfall this year than last year-to-date. You're on a roll.
Old May 6th, 2024, 04:46 PM
Running On Empty

We avg. ~60"/yr

Old May 6th, 2024, 04:52 PM

Found only one (live) Agkistrodon piscivorus ~3' in length. He was about to make a meal of a little turtle so he wasn't real pleased w/ our intrusion.
The dreaded Cottonmouth! My Ex's Dad was from the Boothill of Missouri, the town of Fagus to be exact, only a mile or two from the Arkansas line. They had over 1000 acres in primarily Rice and commercial Catfish farming. Talk about a Cottonmouth heaven, the SOB's were everywhere!
Old May 6th, 2024, 05:03 PM
Running On Empty

I neither love serpents nor do I have a strong aversion to them. One guy in our foursome says "You want me to kill it?" I said "why"? Same guy sees a grounds keeper & tells him we saw a Water Moccasin (Cottonmouth) & tells him where it is. I mean the frick'n thing is on the edge of a dismal swamp area with at least most likely another 1,000 Cottonmouths in the swamp areas. Get over it.
Old May 6th, 2024, 05:37 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - You may need to put ear muffs on your dogs & have the meds ready - could get rocky for you early morning.
Old May 6th, 2024, 05:48 PM

I neither love serpents nor do I have a strong aversion to them.
I had a boyhood love of snakes. Used to catch them and keep them as short term (few days, week at most) pet and then set them free. Not much danger doing that in Michigan with there being only one venomous species, the Eastern Massasauga Rattlesnake, and they are few and far between, and reclusive. All the time I spent in the woods hunting and/or actually looking for snakes, I never saw one. Missouri is a whole other animal. At my last house my backyard was adjacent to a heavily wooded, rocky hillside. Copperheads would regularly come into the yard and onto the pool deck or the asphalt driveway in the Spring and Fall to sun themselves. As much as I hated to do so, they were dead meat if I could get to them soon enough. With my kids and their friends always in the pool or playing in the yard, I just couldn't take a chance of just trying to relocate them.
Old May 6th, 2024, 06:34 PM

Chris - You may need to put ear muffs on your dogs & have the meds ready - could get rocky for you early morning.
Yep, that's what I've been seeing. We just keep getting pummeled. Hoping it doesn't get too hairy!
Old May 6th, 2024, 07:09 PM

We avg. ~60"/yr
Slightly less (by about a foot) than where I grew up on the Gulf Coast.
Old May 6th, 2024, 07:19 PM

We avg. ~60"/yr
If I'd have guessed, I would have said we average somewhere around 50", and I'd have been way off. Apparently we only average 34"/year. Sure seems like a helluva lot more than that.
Old May 6th, 2024, 07:39 PM

Evansville has had 14" of rain this year, but really only in Jan and Apr.

I leave non-poisonous snakes alone. Most snakes in Indiana are that way. In Florida, though, it was 50/50. Rattlers, water moccasins, and coral snakes got war brought to them on sight.

My old man, we were hunting, and driving down a gravel road and he sees a 2 foot snake and decides to run it over. So we do (he may have seen it was what it was prior, this was 30 years ago) and get out and observe a small diamondback still alive. So, he, and this is the only thing this miserable excuse for a pistol has ever killed, pulls out this North American Arms product, I don't want to call it a pocket pistol as it's not that big, this BELT BUCKLE pistol, and uses a .22 mag shot shell of rat shot into the semi-conscious snake's dome. That did it, and he picks it up with a stick and, of course, I'M the one that has to hold the gallon ziplock open for it, and into the cooler it goes; later, the freezer.

He got it stuffed and it sits on his mantle, coiled up, fangs bared, rattle up. Cute little thing.
Old May 6th, 2024, 09:24 PM

I’m surprised that run over and perforated carcass was still in good enough condition for a taxidermist to salvage it.
Old May 7th, 2024, 12:41 AM

I've got a 6' diamond back on a board at the lake. While quail hunting around Thomasville I shot him twice after running over him 5 times with a K 6. Also have a few smaller ones ( 3/4 '). I've stepped on 2 ,one with boots on 1 barefoot. Had to change my drawers
Old May 7th, 2024, 12:58 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

You guys are making me twitch with all your snake talk. I never have liked snakes. I wouldn't ordinarily go out of my way to harm one, but I sure don't enjoy seeing one. We have several varieties of water snakes around the lake, once in a while one will be in the yard and Tiger will bark at it. One time a big ol' black snake was in the yard and Sparky grabbed it in the middle and flung it up in the air. I went out to see what the commotion was and here's this black snake, bleeding from the middle, with a rather odd look on his face. I took the poop shovel and put him over the fence, then told Sparky we had to go in so the snake could do whatever it is that snakes do with a chunk out of its middle. About an hour later I went out and the snake was gone. He must have got better.

I think I'm almost getting used to this getting up extra early and going to work. I don't see the value in doing this, but if the company wants to pay me to do this, then I'll keep it up for the foreseeable future. That word doesn't look right.

Got 5 cards sitting on my desk. That will get me started. Hope everyone has a good day.

Old May 7th, 2024, 06:33 AM

Good morning guys,

Well the front that went thru at 4am this morning wasn't too bad. I don’t think the dogs even woke up the few mild thunder claps I heard, and the wind and rain were not too bad either. Supposedly more in the forecast tonight.

Heading into one of the more hectic periods on my annual calendar. I have our Wedding Anniversary, Mothers Day, my Wife's b-day, and one of my daughter's b-day all in a span of 3-weeks. First I have to go to the Credit Union and drain my Money Market account to prepare!

Hope ya'll have a great day!