The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old January 30th, 2015, 07:55 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Cool!
Old January 30th, 2015, 08:06 AM
Captain Starfire

Mornin', all....

A little nippier today than it's been. Bought tickets to see American Sniper tomorrow. Ain't been to the movies in a year or two.

Whelpt, lotz 2 do today. Had me big brekfist and now da' chores call.

Y'all have a great weekend.
Old January 30th, 2015, 09:02 AM

Well, here we go again, those dang women folk at work want a tailgate party lunch tonight, arrg! I wrapped some Smokie Links® with applewood bacon, 'n sprinkled some brown sugar over the mess, once they come out of the oven, I'll stick 'em with a toothpick, so's they kin grab 'em. I'll take an electric griddle with me to warm 'em up later. Of course in a couple of weeks, they'll want something for Valentines Day.
Old January 30th, 2015, 10:47 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Bee-Oh-Pee
Bought tickets to see American Sniper tomorrow. Ain't been to the movies in a year or two.
John, you'll enjoy that show - I thought it was fantastic!! You might also like to see 'The Imitation Game' and 'Fury' - they were also really good. Unforgiven was a bit lame IMO.

How much does it cost for movies where you are?
Old January 30th, 2015, 10:58 AM
Cutlass Lover

Afternoon all!

Snowy and friggin cold here today. Temp at 15* right now and dropping through the day. Wind is whipping and blowing the snow. We had a pretty good rain falling last evening, it was 36*, but it turned to snow around 7:00, and the temps started falling. So we had ice under the snow this morning. Schools were delayed 2 hrs in Twinsburg. They hadn't ran a plow down our street when I left this morning. It was messy.

I told Larry I don't want to go out shopping tonight in this cold so well go tomorrow. Sunday we're supposed to get another storm. Have I ever mentioned I hate winter???

The **** one came in here in a mood this morning. I started reciting Joel teachings to myself, lol. Some days its not worth chewing through the restraints......

I don't have anything planned this weekend. Gonna clean the house I guess and fill the bird feeders. Poor birds were out there this morning and I felt bad cause all the feeders were empty. I didn't have time to fill them cause I wanted to stop at the bank on my way in to work. Guess they won't starve, lol.

I chased 3 deer out from under the one bird feeder the other night. Damned things.....

We had our monthly get together at Bellacinos last night! I went over right from work. It was nice to see my friends. Had a couple drinks. Not a bunch of people there, I think the weather scared them. Pam came. We used our free pizza coupons and I had a few drinks. Headed home 7:30ish since it was snowing. But if was fun.

Well I better do something so you all have a great afternoon!!
Old January 30th, 2015, 12:25 PM
Captain Starfire

Allan, that's good news
I bought them online and the Saturday "after 4" price was $12.50 + $1.25 "sucker fee" for buying online.

Originally Posted by Allan R
John, you'll enjoy that show - I thought it was fantastic!! You might also like to see 'The Imitation Game' and 'Fury' - they were also really good. Unforgiven was a bit lame IMO.

How much does it cost for movies where you are?
Old January 30th, 2015, 02:44 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Breezy to say the least here. But it is sunny out so that helps.

John I couldn't tell you the last movie I saw in the theatre. I'm thinking it was Love The Beast when I was in Australia around 2009. And to think back in the day I saw Back to the Future in the theatre about 8 times and Christine about a dozen.

Darrell my neighbor's car is a 79 280ZX. He went out looking for a 57 Chevy and came home with this. He keeps telling me that it is worth 14K, maybe he's trying to justify to himself that he paid 8K for it and has put another 3K into it. Why I don't know, the car was pretty clean to begin with. He's one of those that if he sees a car like his go for stupid money at an auction thinks every car is worth the same. I just listen to him and don't give my opinion.

Jamesbo that's a pretty cool gadget. It looks though like you could put that bracelet around anything and the images would just be projected onto that. I thought the Google glasses were cool but boy did people have a fit about them.

Allan I don't know why we were weighing the plane last night. Usually if there is a major reconfiguration the plane gets weighed to make sure the CG is still where it's supposed to be. The latest mod to the 767-400 was new seats in First Class. Seems strange to me because the engineers know the weight of every piece on an airplane, maybe this was just to check their math. We don't have to weigh every plane, just one of a type.

Jeff get you a VW Bus. Though, they are going for stupid money these days. Good, all around and versatile vehicle if you ask me, I've owned several.

I took next week off, so since this is Friday for me, it's big Friday. I actually began by wanting tonight off, but then kept tonight in lieu of next week.

My neighbor wants to go to some car auction in Byron tomorrow. I told him I have to sleep a little and that won't give us much time. If I get off a little early that will help, but I can never count on that. Hope they don't have any Datsuns.

Okay have a good evening everyone. Enjoy your weekend.
Old January 30th, 2015, 08:48 PM

That Cicret is pretty cool! Allan, I plan on renting "Fury" for Sat. night, I plan on going down to Pigeon Hill micro brewery and get myself a growler of beer, then over to a newly opened Artisan pizza place, for a "pie", then home for the video.
Old January 30th, 2015, 09:56 PM

http://www.snopes.com/photos/technology/cicret.asp When I went to search for this website, I noticed a Snopes one for it as well, to good to be true.
Old January 31st, 2015, 04:22 AM

Mawn'in all

Nice day [so fer] in de mountains

Got sum left over grits fry'in up in de skillet

Enjoy de weekend Olds friends
Old January 31st, 2015, 05:40 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Miserably cold last night, so I'm glad I didn't have to stay out in it too long. Worked inside but ran into one problem after another and didn't even leave until almost 730. Glad days like that don't come around too often.

So I'll sleep a little bit this morning and get up and go to the auction with my neighbor. Should be a good time. Maybe I'll find a new daily driver. We aren't going to have a lot of time to spend, which is okay because I have a feeling it will be a lot of walking and that's something he isn't up to.

Jamesbo what's a good neighborhood up your way for a singular-type woman to stay in? My sister just got a job with a place in Alpharetta and will be in training for several months. She will stay up there during the week and then commute home to Jacksonville on the weekends.

Well have a good day everyone. Sunny here.
Old January 31st, 2015, 05:45 AM

Mike, There are a bunch of extended stays round ere. Windward exit off Ga 400 is nicer dan McFarland. If she wants I'd be happy to check sum out fer her
Old January 31st, 2015, 06:35 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Good Mawnin All

Looks like another nice day before we get a chance of the wet stuff

Whelp I settled on a one owner '98 Corolla for the second oldest. Great little car. Has 150k miles and after changing the valve cover gasket, I determined it has in fact been maintained properly just like the previous owner stated. Clean as a whistle on the top end and has a golden hue to it with zero sludge.

Today I will change the plugs, wires, air filter and give it a good once over before I turn it loose.

Whelp I best get crackin' She is dying to have a ride of her own again after her fiasco with the crapalier...
Old January 31st, 2015, 06:48 AM
Captain Starfire

Jamesbo, "Grits is good," to quote a waitress at a breakfast cafe we once ate at. ;-)
This morning, I had turkey salad & Swiss on toast 'cause we had it, it was easy, and it's delicious -- even fer b'fast; and I then with the coffee for dessert, I had a piece of the pecan roll we brought home from Heavenly Bake Shop in Young Harris. Wow... sure glad there's no 'HBS' down here. I'd be 300 lbs & broke.

Right at freezin' this morning.

Mike, sounds like you know how to deal with those guys; you just listen (or not) and don't comment. It took me many years to learn that, and I don't have it down pat just yet. Enjoy your week off!

Whelpt, we're leaving at 2:15 for the S. Shore, so let me get crackin' with the chores.

Have a great weekend, Oldsmofriends.
Old January 31st, 2015, 07:34 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Morning everyone
Clear and cold, smowed bouda ninch last night. Spoda stay like this foe a bit. Good time to stay inside sept I gotta game tonight at 6.

Mike, that's what I thought about weighing those suckers.

Scot, good job.

John, stuff like that is off my radar. Need to be careful of food thats got high cholesterol. Food road has a lot of different side paths Huh?

Jim, enjoy de mountains wit red dog. I'm settling fer almond oat crisp fer brekky.

Enjoy your day
Old January 31st, 2015, 09:04 AM

Winter

After only a few really cold (0 ish) overnights, and several Alberta clippers (2-4 " of dry snow each), winter hasn't been too bad so far. Welcome to reality-we're supposed to get 5-7" overnight. Just hope we don't get into another "polar vortex".
Allan, the Cutlass is stored, so a firewall stamp photo will have to wait.
An Accepted Offer sign is up on the south neighbor's house. The place to the north has had a fill the dumpster clean out going on since late summer, so it looks like we'll be getting new neighbors.
I'll post tomorrow after shoveling.
Old January 31st, 2015, 04:33 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Had a good time at the auction this afternoon. I was a little surprised at the offerings. I don't think I saw any car there that didn't need some sort of paint freshening, or interior work, or parts replaced. A couple nice ones, though. Wasn't real high paced or frantic. A good time.

Gonna take it easy tonight. Got only a couple hours sleep this morning but I've been doing pretty well. Not much on TV that I'd watch on a Saturday night, so I'm guessing I'll spend the evening looking at cars. Found a shorty Dodge B150 with a Slant 6. Sounds cool, too bad it's almost two hours away.

Thanks Jamesbo. When she gets more information about start dates and the like I may run up there for a look and you can show me around. We'll start out at the Awful house.

Well enjoy the evening everyone. Need to go get some firewood so it will warm up a little in here.
Old January 31st, 2015, 05:42 PM
GM Enthusiast

Evening everyone. Made it to 19 here today, and we're getting ready for the next round of snow on Sunday night. Supposed to get another 4 to 8 inches. Can't wait. LOL

John - we want to see American Sniper too. Hopefully we can get a babysitter so we can go and see it. Supposed to be a really good movie, regardless of what the hollywood critics think.

Jamesbo - thanks for getting me the info on the paint additive. I will check my local hardware store for it.

Mike - I like that vintage 280Z. I have no idea what they're worth but I agree with you that it sounds kinda high. I know people who think like he does too, and I would do the same thing you're doing.

I'm sure you'll all be jealous to hear this, but I'm watching Tom & Jerry with my little guy right now. Enjoy the night everyone.
Old February 1st, 2015, 04:35 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Didn't last long enough last night for firewood. Went to bed early and was out like a light.

Now time for the Awful house. Gotta get the scoop on a guy that died last week. Sort of a bum that hung around all the time, from the sounds of it he drank himself to death. Too bad. Anyway, I'm rumbly in my tumbly.

Have a good day everyone. Rain here this afternoon. Yick.
Old February 1st, 2015, 05:26 AM

Mawn'in all

Spose to come up a cloud later in de day

Mike, Jes give me a shout an I'd be happy to show you around

Gotta get breakfast gong

Enjoy de rest of de weekend Olds friends
Old February 1st, 2015, 05:41 AM

Looks like I'll be brushing a bit of snow off of the car before going into work today.
Old February 1st, 2015, 06:47 AM
Captain Starfire

Happy Superbowl Sunday

Rained a few hours during the night; things really soggy & more muggy than cold. Harder rain spose to start real soon and last most o'day.

American Sniper didn't disappoint. A few things jump out at you, one being the language. Not for the faint of ear; pretty much continuous F-bombs from start to finish. I guess it's in the name of "reality," cause if it's for effect, the effect wears off after a little while.

The second thing is graphic intensity. You really feel like you're on the battlefields of Iraq, witnessing the events firsthand,for better or worse. When people get shot (the good and the bad), you feel it yourself.

I thought the acting was excellent; generally, I found all the characters believable. The casting, too, was great. Bradley & Sienna pulled it off well.

I had no idea how it was going to end, and that was good; so if you haven't seen it and don't know how it ends, that's good. I was the only one of our group who didn't know, however.

And remember to potty before, as it's about 2:15 long. My **** was numb by the end and it felt great to stand.

One final note: whilst checking out the web site for the St. Ignace Antiques on the Bay for details on the show we're going to in June, I stumbled across a pic of the cars my friend, Gene, brought up there in '13. It shows his '55 Coupé de Ville in the foreground, flanked by his '55 Century. Both are extraordinary, low-mile cars I've had the pleasure of driving to various shows thru the years. Not sure which ones we'll be taking in June. But you can see the Caddy & the Buick if you click here and scroll down to the pictures, 3rd one in top row.

Whelpt, have a great Superbowl Sunday. I'm pulling for Donny Osmond -- I mean Tom Brady.

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; February 1st, 2015 at 08:43 AM.
Old February 1st, 2015, 08:21 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Super Bowl today and I'm gonna miss it cause I'll be curling. We won our game last night quite handily.

John, I know what you mean. I had already been desensitized by watching The Drop and Fury. Like you, I didn't know how The sniper ended and I was quite taken back by it. If you want a great thriller without a lot of F bombs, check out The Equalizer with Denzel Washington. It will amaze and captivate at the same time, and it keeps you in tune with the characters at all times. Some of the action parts are a bit unbelievable, but certainly possible. The Imitation Game is powerful with absolutely no foul language, and the characters are totally believable. It's plot follows factual devopment from the original story. Those last 2 movies I'd give 3 thumbs up. Must see.

Mike, didn't know you were on the prowl again for another car. Where do you get all that money?

Jerry, no worries.

Darrell, I bermember those kinda days with my son. Enjoy them while you can.

Dan, brushed that stuff yesterday. Be careful on the roads.

Only 7* here. Clear and cold. Yay, the koffee is ready! Enjoy your day.
Old February 1st, 2015, 08:44 AM
Captain Starfire

Anybody having trouble....

... editing a post this morning? Every time I try to edit the one before Allan, I get a blank post to edit. But this one edits perfectly I can edit it by copying & pasting the original post, but nuttin's in the edit box after I hit "Edit."

Very strange... did a reboot --> Sam Ting. Switched to I.E. from my Mozilla --> Sam Ting. I tried to do a "Quote" and it doesn't even copy the text into the new message. Sumpin' weird goin' on....

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; February 1st, 2015 at 09:03 AM.
Old February 1st, 2015, 09:37 AM

Super Bowl IMHO is sooooooooooo much hype, it ruins de game. BTW, I feel de exact same way about de 15th hole at Scottsdale. PGA tournament. It jes ain't fitt'in
Old February 1st, 2015, 11:45 AM
Captain Starfire

Yup...

I agree, Jamesbo... But it's so overdone, it's almost amusing... really, I couldn't care less who wins or loses, or anything about the "game." But the hype is like a tidal wave that you know is coming; so I figure I might as well derive some pleasure from it. I guess that's in contrast, for me, to things like the Grammy's or the Golden Globes, a glimpse of which nowadays makes me nauseous. (Sorry!) The Superbowl stuff does seem a tad healthier culturally than those, although I think the last halftime show I enjoyed watching was The Who in '10.

Case in point: This morning at Zero-D-30 on NBC, Al Roker is broadcasting from Phoenix on Today/Weekend to give the stinkin' weather report. The whole Today Show (which better half likes, but I shun at all costs) is 100% consumed with promotion of NBC's biggest network event of the year. No bones made.

Turned on the Groove Tube again at noon to catch a weather update. NBC (shock of all shocks!) is already broadcasting live network 'Bowl crap. I thank our maker we we don't have to absorb it or relish it... but it's sure there.

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Super Bowl IMHO is sooooooooooo much hype, it ruins de game. BTW, I feel de exact same way about de 15th hole at Scottsdale. PGA tournament. It jes ain't fitt'in
Old February 1st, 2015, 01:11 PM
Just an Olds Guy

For you, John

... editing a post this morning? Every time I try to edit the one before Allan, I get a blank post to edit. But this one edits perfectly I can edit it by copying & pasting the original post, but nuttin's in the edit box after I hit "Edit."
Must be de puter Gods rainin on yer parade John. Works fine for me

Very strange... did a reboot --> Sam Ting. Switched to I.E. from my Mozilla --> Sam Ting.
Sam Ting huh? Then this is for you! Recognize this guy?

If you said 'Sam Ting' you'd be half right. His given name is Dymitri Jablonski, even though his REAL name is Sam Ting. I can hear you asking WTH is going on wit dat. Here's the story. His real name IS Sam Ting. When he arrived in America in the early 1900's from China he was in line at immigration waiting for clearance to enter. The young immigrant in front of him was from the Ottoman Empire and when the Immigration officer asked his name, he said "Dymitri Jablonski". Immigration wrote that down, stamped his entry papers and sent him on his way. "NEXT!!" yells the Immigration officer. Up steps Sam Ting. What's your name? asks the Immigration officer. "Sam Ting" says Sam Ting. Immigration writes down Dymitri Jablonski on the papers and sends him on his way. (Sam Ting?? = Same thing???) Only in America you say.
Old February 1st, 2015, 01:26 PM
Always room for one more

Well the rain doth cometh. Not hard, but enough to put the kybosh on outside activities. Earlier I went over to the shop to clean up a little and bring home some trash.

Allan I've been looking for a new daily driver because I don't want to drive the Saturn much anymore. Two hundred thousand was the goal, and now that we're past that, I'm giving it a rest. Besides, how long can you nurse a bad head gasket along before you cause real trouble? I don't need a lot of money, most of what I buy are wrecks, figuratively.

John, the "effect" of a movie is sometimes dictated by the director. I read once that Alec Baldwin was cast to play Juan Trippe in a movie about Pan American Airways. Mr. Trippe was gone by this time so AB spent a lot of time with the family going over personal effects and hearing stories. Juan Trippe was a quiet and reserved man, but when the movie came out the family was horrified to see AB portray him as a loud, foul-mouthed tyrant. AB was very apologetic to the family, saying that the director felt quiet and reserved wouldn't make for a good movie.

The Superbowl won't be shown in my house today. In fact I don't even know when it's on. I agree it's all hype, because heck it's just another ball game. The last, and only, time I saw the Superbowl was 1986. The Bears played I don't remember who. Funny thing at work the other day. Delta has been flying copious amounts of charters into and out of Phoenix for Superbowl people and reasons, and the Patriots were delayed at one point because of a pressurization problem with their airplane. I said, that's apropos, their footballs were deflated, their plane might as well be, too.

Okay gonna find something to do inside. Probably sit and look at the computer the rest of the day.
Old February 1st, 2015, 01:44 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by slantflat
Allan I've been looking for a new daily driver because I don't want to drive the Saturn much anymore. ...Besides, how long can you nurse a bad head gasket along before you cause real trouble?
LOL Mike, I don't want to drive our Saturn much more myself. BUT, I thought your high Saturn was the DOHC 1.9?? It's only the SOHC that was plagued with bad head gaskets IIRC. Hmmm, maybe if your trans is good, I should sell you our 'low Saturn' and you could swap out the trans from yours to ours and it would be good for another 120K??? I think I pin pointed the oil leak on ours - not the head gasket in spite of what Saturn told us 14 years ago - it's the oil sending switch. If the HG was actually leaking there would be evidence in the oil I think. It always looks normal or dark when I check it, just low sometimes as it does use some when it doesn't leak.
Old February 1st, 2015, 02:33 PM

John, those are some beautiful cars, I see that this year it is the same weekend as Homecoming, too bad as I wouldn't mind heading up there some time to check it out. I believe, from what I've been told in the past that hotel rooms are already booked well in advance. By the way, they have the temperature on that site...1°.
Old February 1st, 2015, 02:36 PM

Weird, I was going to correct some punctuation on my post above, and when I hit edit, it gave me a blank page...no post showing, so I hit cancel, and there it is, I'll leave well enough alone.
Old February 1st, 2015, 03:29 PM
Always room for one more

Allan my car is indeed the 1.9 . I have not taken the car to a mechanic and had it officially diagnosed as a bad head gasket, but I just have this feeling. It has some characteristics. The trans isn't terrific, either. Both will be rebuilt.

Jamesbo I talked to my sister this afternoon. She's on her way up to Alpharetta now, and starts her new job tomorrow. She's set up at the Extended Stay and said she'd probably look for a room to rent for the next three months. Though she said ES isn't terribly expensive. I wish I weren't an hour and a half she could stay here for nuthin'.

Haven't gotten much done. I found some old magazines and sat down to read them. That and reading the captions on my digital music stations on my cable TV.
Old February 1st, 2015, 06:03 PM
Always room for one more

Found this in my email. A guy sent me this a few weeks ago and I forgot about it. I know these guys; the guy driving owns the car. They are in California.

Old February 1st, 2015, 07:33 PM
Just an Olds Guy

How does the exhaust on that thing work?? Is it like a snorkel that gets attached before the car goes in the water?
Old February 1st, 2015, 07:36 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Thumbs up

...and how do you steer, and do they recommend you drive it around after being in the water to dry brakes etc, before parking it?
Old February 1st, 2015, 07:56 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Ted, my best guess is the front wheels are used like rudders at the front of the car. Why dry the brakes off? Makes it more fun guessing how far you'll go when you hit the whoa!!!! pedal.
Old February 1st, 2015, 08:09 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Ha, ha! i noticed in the vid that the driver leaned forward as he was driving into the water as if to engage something...wondering if it was rudder control?....or he had bad gas
Old February 1st, 2015, 08:33 PM
Always room for one more

The exhaust exits above water. The chrome exhaust tip is to the left of the license plate.

The front wheels act as rudders, and the lever to engage the props is on the floor, and that's what he's reaching down for when they enter the water.

Basically what you are doing is driving the car in the water. The only thing different is you don't have brakes. The brake linings were advertised as being waterproof, but dragging the brakes a few seconds once you exit the water is prudent, or you get grabbing from the shoes.

I've been doing Amphi club stuff all night and I'm tired of it. I can finish it up tomorrow. So off to bed, good night everyone.

Last edited by slantflat; February 1st, 2015 at 08:36 PM.
Old February 2nd, 2015, 04:21 AM
CQR

Mornin all. Cold and clear this morning. Big bright moonbeams hitting the snow makes it real bright out.

Allan, Yea, ok I guess. How'd you curl?

John, how was the movie. Thats one I want to see (I don't need to see much coming out of hollywood) I also want to see generation War. And Fury road if it ever is released.

Dan, the post looks fine. At least this early in the morning.

Sandy glad to see you stop in every once in a while. I hate winter too.

Scott make sure she checks the oil at every fill up until you see if it will use any. Those 1.8's are notorious for burning oil with higher mileage on them. They can run great and not smoke and still burn so much oil to get you into trouble if you don't keep an eye on it.

I didn't have a dog in yesterdays fight but the last 5 minutes was fun to watch. I guess I would have liked to see the hawks win.

Well, we had an indoor race on Saturday. My arms and shoulders are screaming at me. It was a good time but a long day and really fumey. It was nice all day but started snowing and by then time we were ready to load it was flat coming down. It caught the plows off guard and wasn't much fun dragging the trailer through all that heavy wet stuff to get home. Ended up with about 5-6" but the sun came out yesterday and melted the walks and drive clean. I did some shoveling then came in and rested my bones.

Have a Monday all.
Old February 2nd, 2015, 05:02 AM

Mawn'in all

Kinda windy but I'm gonna go smack whitey anywho

Mike, I want an Amphi BAD. AX your sister if I can be of any help. I'd be glad to help her look fer a place

Glad de Super bowl madness is over. We can go back to our normal crazy American way.

Enjoy de week Olds friends