The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old January 18th, 2015, 08:57 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Morning Rocketeers

The curling game for tonight got deferred but I'm still planning to practice instead of doing nothing. George said he'd show for that too, but he front end isn't interested. That's one reasoN they don't get any better.

Continues to be unseasonably warm up here. Makes it impossible to keep the car clean.

I think the new glasses are too heavy on the nose pads. Prolly have toe change them for something lighter. That's the only thing I don't like about web orders.

Enjoy your day. Koffee awaits (yeah, late start)
Old January 18th, 2015, 11:38 AM
Just an Olds Guy

You're welcome. Hope it helps. In the meantime I'm still waiting to see if Paul gets back to me. The site used to post all new and recently viewed info using the "New Posts" header the way the "Quick Links" and 'Today's Posts' do now. I'd like to see it go back to that because it makes more sense.

I looked at the thread you mentioned and can understand your frustration. You do post a lot of cool stuff there.
Old January 18th, 2015, 03:00 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Another beauty. If this keeps up I'll have all my projects done and won't know what to do. Ha fat chance of that.

Running a little late, so off I go. It wasn't too long ago that it was dark when I left for work, now there's still a fair amount of light out. I don't mind.

Hope everyone has a nice Sunday evening and a good start to the week. It's Friday for me, well deserved I might add.
Old January 19th, 2015, 04:13 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Mike, I sure wish I could catch up on some of my projects. at least one or two maybe.

I took Brit up to the warehouse yesterday. Needed some working room in the garage. The missus is making a Brooder for the chicks they are selling at the store this year. and I have a guy coming this morning to put up a real wall and sliding barn door for the dog area of the garage.

Spose to be nice today then get cold tomorrow of course when Tor is showing at the National Western . I have to try to go down tomorrow and watch her.

Have a Monday all

Last edited by CQR; January 19th, 2015 at 06:55 AM.
Old January 19th, 2015, 04:23 AM

Mawn'in all

Chili but spose to be nicer later in de day

Gonna go smack whitey 'round

Clint, Remember, They'll be plenty of work left to do when you're gone.
Old January 19th, 2015, 06:45 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Morning Rocketeers

Practice went well last night. Afterwards one of the other teams contributed to our thirst quenching with half a pitcher of big rock honey brown.

Freezing rain here thIs mawnin and snow expected later in de day.

Clint, hope all goes well. Must have felt nice to take Brit out for a run. How many chicks is she bringing in?

Jim, whackin whitey in Jan just seems wrong to me.

Mike, ifn you run out of projects it sounds like your neighbor will keep ya hoppin. How many miles did the high Saturn turn?

Coughee, I need koffee! Enjoy your day.
Old January 19th, 2015, 08:31 AM
Captain Starfire

Mornin', all.. A mite brisk 31* again this mornin' at The Plantation, but spose to flirt w/ 70* today and the following 2 afternoons. Welcome, spring!

Weekend flew by whilst better half visited Mom. Cleaned gutters for 2 days... what a barrel of monkeys that is. I have no business having about half those gutters. Trees are way taller than the house around here. The gutter (60') on the south side of the garage fills to overflowing seemingly once a month. Unfortunately, the offending trees are on my neighbor's property. I think I'm just going to take that whole run down. They serve no purpose but to make my life miserable. The others are more or less manageable.

Anyhoots, let me go put the finishing touches on my honeydew list before I go picks 'er up at "Moisant," as I grew up calling the illustrious N.O. airport (now, Armstrong).

Mike, enjoy yer Saturday, & Jamesbo, leave some skin on da' *****. Sandy, glad the health seems to be movin' in the right direction. Hope all the job woes are resolved for the better in the near future.
Old January 19th, 2015, 09:33 AM
Just an Olds Guy

John, any branches of the neighbors trees that overhang your moms property you can chop off and the neighbor can't do anything about it. Might be safer than removing the drainage the house is Spoda have.
Old January 19th, 2015, 12:10 PM

Allan, I got off early and it was still a mite chili but when I was finish'in up I saw 2 dudes wearing shorts
Old January 19th, 2015, 01:05 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Beautiful out, and of course I slept most of the day and wasted it all. I got home late but figured I could be up by noon. Nope, my boy was nervous and needy all morning and after getting up two or three times during the morning I thought, just a little while longer and I'll get up and get going. Well, at 3 I wake up. Oh well. I can still get some prep done for a big day of concrete tomorrow.

John have you thought about gutter guards? I tell you that's one job I hate, cleaning out the gutters. Although when I got new ones a couple years ago I got 6" gutters to replace 4" ones, and man does that take a load off. Even when they're full they flow better and I don't have to go up quite as often. My bane is pine needles.

Allan the Saturn is a little over 199800. It'll be next week some time I'll need to start bringing a camera so I can take a picture. Hope I'm not beebopping to some oldies and miss it.

Clint I was just being a wiseguy. I'll never get all my projects done. I think too much. I get carried away with the MAWs.

I found some metal rod at the shop one day so I'm gonna go over and get that, and use it as rebar in the wall. Gotta find some plywood or similar to make forms. I'll be as pleased as punch if I get any of this done.

Okay see you all later, must do something during this daylight. It's over 60.
Old January 19th, 2015, 07:42 PM
GM Enthusiast

Hi all. It rained here yesterday and cleaned all the salt off the roads so today was my chance to dust off the old rides. I took the Cutlass and the 63 Riv out and I brought my son as my co-pilot. I think he was enjoying the ride as much as I was.

I went to look at the Regal today. It was amusing to say the least. The guy who was selling it was a dealer. The dude looked like Vanilla Ice, the white rapper from the 90's. Flat billed hat on backwards, earings, long black jacket and of course the baggy pants down past his ***. Also had a real attitude problem. I started the car, it had an exhaust leak and the floor was completely soaked on the passenger side. (He said he left a window down but who knows, after I drive it away it's my problem if he lied) Every panel was either dented or scraped and the overall description was "MINT". I told him it was far from mint and he said, "Do you expect a show car for for 2k?" I said no but this is certainly far from mint! I found a 98 Riviera and a 01 Regal GS that are both for sale by the same guy and supposedly really clean. I'm going to see them tomorrow morning so we'll see.

John - I hear ya about cleaning the gutters. I thought I'd put in gutter guards and within a year, I had a huge yellow jacket nest inside of one of them. Was almost impossible to get rid of them until winter cam and then I ripped them all out.

Have a good night all.

Last edited by OLD SKL 69; January 19th, 2015 at 07:50 PM.
Old January 20th, 2015, 03:40 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

John, Darrell seems theres always an issue. On the north side of the garage the gutters freeze and dam since the garage is heated. So I ran one of those heat cables in it. You can only buy pre made lengths and of course its longer than the run I have for it so I had it looped back and forth. Well that just gives the leaves something to hold onto. and the cable always seemed to make its way out of the spout and into the lawn. So this year I ran it along the east side of the house and then the north side of the garage. that was perfect except it didn't travel thru the downspout. So during our cold snap (Below 0F) that melty water filled up the downspout and then froze and burst it. Ugh.

Jamesbo, It was almost nice enough here yesterday with 60's but last night it skiffed some snow. back to cold weather.

Mike. If I actually spent the time to make the honey do list, that would just put me further behind. Hope the wall works out for you.

The kid is showing her horse today at the Stock show. Gonna try to get down and hopefully see one of her classes.

Have a day all.
Old January 20th, 2015, 03:56 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Slept through TV last night and couldn't get to sleep later, then was up before the chickens. Eh, Awful house early then a full day to do stuff.

It's pretty nice out now, even though it's still dark. I don't mind dark in the morning. I still wish it was light at 9pm every night. Don't go crazy Jeff.

Hope the kid does well with the horse, Clint. Did I ever tell you guys that I was named after a horse? My Mom hates when I say that.

Darrell I've looked at plenty of cars over the years that were not up to par, and had many "discussions" on the seller's advertising capabilities. I learned to just say thanks, not what I'm looking for. That usually gets an odd look but it keeps tempers down. Go find something with a Slant 6.

Sandy why don't you take a page from Brian's book and bend the ears of the office in Houston? Maybe you can get some things done you're way for a change.

Okay early to Awful house then concrete all day. I'm giddy with anticipation. Happy Tuesday everyone.
Old January 20th, 2015, 05:32 AM

Mawn'in all

Spose to be anutter beautimus day down ere

Mike, Ya gonna put weep holes in de sea wall right?

John, Gutters are a PITA, De old farm house doesn't have dem cept on one side where I built a basement. If ya don't have a basement ya really don't need de things

Darrell, De only thing worse dan buying a car is selling one.

Well Olds friends Have a GREAT day
Old January 20th, 2015, 06:13 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Morning Rocketeers.

Yup, still mawnin.

Spoda get windrow removal today. Whippee. Also Spoda be nice an melty.

Darrell, good luck with your car searches. I see you've already met Mr. Snake Oil.

Clint, you can get heat trace in specific lengths. Who did you buy from?

Mike, I hate when that happens. Just makes a body tired at the wrong times.

Well, koffee and den off to curling practice. Chelsea will be on the sheet next to me and she's not terrible to look at. Enjoy your day.
Old January 20th, 2015, 08:33 AM
Cutlass Lover

Morning all!

Snowing here, just light flurries and temps at 29*.

Not much going on. Quiet and boring. Bob called me today! So nice to hear his voice. He sounds great. Says hes feeling good. They have him up and moving around some now. He said they used an artery out of his right arm and another one from inside his chest. Guess they don't take it from the leg anymore? His heart is beating steady he said. He might get out later this week. He's on all sorts of meds of course and a low sodium diet. I'm so glad he's doing well.

Mike.... I just might send the owner an email and tell him how wrong I think this whole moving Clay thing is. Clay said I shouldn't though. Steve has let Brian get away with so much for so long that if we start complaining about him at this point I doubt we'll be believed. I'm going to bide my time and see what happens in the fall. I'm just not talking to Brian at this point. I have nothing to say to the sneaky bastar*!! Art sent an official email to everyone yesterday announcing upcoming retirements this year, and he said Steve and that Steve's replacement would be announced at a later date by him. I'm sure Brian's pulse sped up lol!!

Nicole called me Sunday night crying. Guess it's over with her and Jon. I felt really bad for her. I'm real upset with Jon at this point. Sat at our table last summer telling us how much he loves her and wanted her to move in with him and all that. So she was saying how much she likes her job and hates to quit, and how she was already looking up apartments there. I don't know if she could make it. I told her to ask her manager if they could help her transfer to a VCA hospital around here. They're all over the place. I told her to ask around if anyone has a room to rent or knows of a cheap place. I don't know. She has Enzo now too..... she was supposed to call me last night but didn't. I'm going to call her at noon and see what all has been said since Sunday night. I don't know if she can stay there for awhile or if hes tossing her out. I told her to go to the friggin bank and get her own account again and transfer some money out of their joint ones. God.... will she ever listen to me???? She's been putting money in their account. Hopefully I'll find out more at noon. I know she's not going to want to do anything to upset him and get tossed out right away.

Well I better find something to do. I'll talk to you later. Have a good one!
Old January 20th, 2015, 08:51 AM
Captain Starfire

Early to rise, late to post....

Mernin', all.... Not quite as nippy this morning. 'Twas only about 42 at the Plantation, and spose to hit 70 today. Yippee!

Allan, unfortunately, the branches hanging over the roof are about 1% of the total problem. I live in the middle of a forest . Some of the trees are a good 40-50' high.

Anyhoots, the gutters all around the garage were strictly optional, and I never intended to have 'em on that side; but the contractor and I had a slight communication when it was built, and I got them (and paid for 'em).

The reason I wanted any at all was that water was going to run off the roof right into my flower beds, and chunk into the soil.

I really don't mind cleaning the ones I originally wanted. But that one 60' run is WAY more trouble than it's worth. I only go on that side of the bldg, and the ground is pretty solid. So I'll just put a little silicone sealer in the screw holes and nobody will be the sadder or wiser. In fact, I'll be the happier.

Also, I have metal roofing over the whole house and the garage and it doesn't lend itself (at all) to installing standard gutter guards. There are those "brushes" you can use, but I've gotten mixed feedback on them. So I'm going to do without on that side. Easiest solution.

Sounds like everybody has his own tales of woe with gutters. One of dem things. At least I don't have the arctic-type of winters to worry about down here. We just have hurricanes to worry about

Better half arrived back safely from IL yesterday and on the way back from picking her up in Kenner, we ate at Albasha, a Middle-Eastern restaurant in Hammond that is always superb. (Last night was no exception.) So it's leftovers tonite.

Sandy, so sad to hear of Nicole & Jon. After hearing their story over the last few months, I can't say I'm shocked, and I know you're not, even though when you hear all the BS from suitors, you sometimes might think that this time it's real. But alas, too bad kid's bodies mature way faster than their frontal lobes... that's just the way it is. They all have to learn for themselves, and that causes parents endless pain. I saw it in my family, and pretty much everybody else's.

Y'all have a great Tiu's day, Automobubblers.

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; January 20th, 2015 at 09:05 AM.
Old January 20th, 2015, 08:57 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Good Mawnin All

Yup likewise here, another gorgeous day.

Lovin' these gas prices. Filled the thirsty Tahoe up for less than a $40 spot $1.769 here without any discounts.

Good luck finding the daily beater Darrell. I am searching for one for my second oldest as well. Kinda leaning towards a classic something or another, at least I'll be able to work on it if so

Have a great Tuesday Oldsmofriends
Old January 20th, 2015, 11:26 AM
Always room for one more

Okay break time.

Just schlepped 25 bags of cement from the street down to the lake. Why was it at the street? Because that's as far in as the van can park. It was a combination of me carrying it and hauling it in a wheel barrow. And of course a couple of them had to break open, so now there's cement all over the back of the van and on the driveway, and all over me.

Sandy they'll probably be glad to hear from someone who isn't a whiny child. Tell Brian you want to move to the new space so you can have the fan going without anyone yapping about it. Of course without anyone there running a heater 12 months out of the year you might not need it. That's too bad about Nicole. Want me to go pay Jon a visit?

I'll be looking for a daily driver soon, but I'm only gonna spend about half of what Darrell is. Not many cars for under 2K that run and don't need very much. The Saturn uses too much oil now, and it's had a bad head gasket for awhile, so after the next 150 miles that will be that. It's earned a break. Oddly enough of all the wrecks I have sitting around none of them are really suited to what I need a daily driver for.

Okay now to the fun part. Mixing the concrete and shoveling it into the wall. Jamesbo I'm not going to add weep holes. The only thing that does is let the dirt into the lake and lets the water into the yard.

See ya's later.
Old January 20th, 2015, 06:57 PM
Always room for one more

Oh man am I sore. I mixed and shoveled 18 bags of concrete this afternoon. Walked through 8 inches of mud to the waterline to get water. But I was rather pleased with what I got accomplished today. I have 7 bags left and that will be used up tomorrow on another part of the wall.

My friend Johnboy came over under the guise of helper, but all he did was smoke and throw his butts into the lake. I think he just wanted someone to hang out with. We ran and grabbed a bite after it got dark then I took him home.

Don't think I'll make TJ Hooker tonight. I'm gonna be in dreamland long before midnight.

Have a good night everyone.
Old January 20th, 2015, 08:23 PM
GM Enthusiast

Hey everyone. Another busy day here on the ranch.

Had to take the pooch to the vet again today. He was bleeding from his privates. Turns out he had some growth down there and decided to remove it himself. Ouch.

Spent a little time today on the car search. I went and looked at a 02 Grand Prix GT 2 door and a 98 Riviera. The Grand Prix interior was beaten up pretty good and the driver's seat was coming apart. It wasn't very comfortable for that reason. The Riv exterior paint was peeling off. It was the pearl white paint color which would be expensive to redo. The interior, engine compartment and trunk were all super clean. Too bad, both cars had the supercharged 3.8 and hauled a$$. Going to look at an Intrepid tomorrow.

Clint - sorry to hear about the gutter issue. That was a great idea to run heat cables in it to keep them from freezing.

Mike - sounds like a lot of hard work. Hope you treated yourself to a hot bath and a cold beer afterwards.
Old January 20th, 2015, 08:43 PM
Just an Olds Guy

John - have you ever considered something like this?

Old January 21st, 2015, 03:49 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Good Mawnin All

Gonna be another nice one today with temps in the 60's and lots of sun.

Got the yard all cleaned up yesterday, just in time for the cast of 300 to throw my better half a Berf-Day party
Old January 21st, 2015, 05:18 AM

Mawn'in all

Scot, Wis de Mrs. a happy berfday fer me

Mike, I'm gonna disagree about de weep holes but dats cool

Sandy, I'm sorry 'bout Nicole but dis poor cracker can't keep up wit 2 things Mike's cars and Nicole's beaus

John, I got de same gutter problem at de lake. I can clean part of dem from de ground with a LONG paint pole wit de roller holder bent into a "J"

welp, Have a great day Olds friends
Old January 21st, 2015, 05:37 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Scot, Wis de Mrs. a happy berfday fer me
Will do Jim Thank ye
Old January 21st, 2015, 05:46 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Allan, Can't bermember. one of the big box stores either Orange or Blue.

The kid showed real well. She went back to compete in the championships today. She left around 3. I been up since before that.

Happy birthday to Missus Scot.

Spose to snow 3-5" today. Yay...

Have a Humpday all.
Old January 21st, 2015, 05:56 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Thanks Clint Congrats on the youngster. We have the Georgia National Fairgrounds here in Perry and they are always having these types of events. The middle daughter was into that in middle school until her classmate got trampled by his 500 lb steer Broke three bones and his right arm was broke in three spots. Someone spooked it and he had nowhere to go.

Might have found my deceased Nephew's old Phord Ranger for my second oldest. Trouble is it needs a new mill. Wonder how easy/hard it will be??? Hmmm.. At least it's the 4 banger.
Old January 21st, 2015, 07:00 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Morning Rocketeers.

Jim & John - I guess I'm somewhat lucky to not have to worry bout leaves. No way in heck I'd be climbing up to do the second story gutters. I had them cleaned this past summer when the roofers replaced all the shingles. Once every 15 years seems to be enough up here.

Clint - Congrats to Tori! 3-5" isn't much to brag about unless yer name is Grumpy, Sleepy, Doc, Sneezy....

Scot - Happy Birpday to yer missus. Be sure to compliment her on how young she looks. Oh yeah, fresh flowers an choklits would prolly be cool too.

Darrell - Still think it's a terrible thing that you need a beater car just to service one area of a client base. Every time I've sold a car I give full disclosure of its history and I make sure to point out all the problem areas, and good features too. Last car I sold was my 83 Regency Brougham. Guy who bought it called me 4 months later and expected me to fix a leak that he created at the gas tank. He must have had the mistaken impression I was warranty heaven after he took ownership. Brain dead moron.

Well, koffees kalling. Enjoy your day.
Old January 21st, 2015, 07:36 AM
Cutlass Lover

Morning all!

Snowing here, has been all morning. There's probably about 4" or so now and its still coming down. We woke up to a couple inches already on the ground. Temps about 32*.

Quiet in here as usual.

I know it's hard to keep up with the saga of Nicoles life lol. I talked to her yesterday. She was looking up apts that had 3 mos or 6 mo leases. I told her that was a good idea. She said her and Jon talked and he's not going to throw her out. She's so full of hope..... Jon was already talking about how "free" he feels. Really? I told her not to friggin grovel or beg or say anything to remind him of how they used to get along. To have some pride and think of herself! Poor kid is just drawn to guys with problems that she thinks she can fix or something. She's a nurturer. I texted her today and she said last night actually went very well. I didn't ask.......

John... Larry rarely clenans our gutters. So therefore they will run water down through the seams in the middle of the gutter. I put the ladder on the deck occasionally and clean that one out where I can reach,lol. He put some kind of 'gutter guard' stuff over them a few years back but it didn't work very well. Half of it blew off.....

Scot... happy birthday to your wife! Hope her day is a good one.

Clint.... congrats to Tori!

Mike.... yeah, when I get out to Clay's space, it's much cooler out there. I might even have to use my heater in the winter lol! But out there I can wear my winter sweaters that are rottening away in the dresser because I cant wear them in here! Of course the thermostat is out there in that room so I'm sure Brian will counsel me if my fan is on, if my heater is on or whatever. There's no getting away from his **** ways. You be careful schlepping that cement around!!

Well I better find something to do. You all have a great day!
Old January 21st, 2015, 07:58 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Thank you Al & Sandy She is sperled rotten fer sure just like all my girls
Old January 21st, 2015, 09:07 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

You know how I always yap about sleeping too late and not getting anything done? Well, I didn't get up until after 11 this morning. I got up at 7 for the dogs and went back to lay down. Oh my 100* bed felt so good I didn't even move. Finally decided I had to get something done today so I got up. My sister is on her way to Alpharetta for a job interview, so I can do something this afternoon and then meet her this evening.

Scot Happy Birthday to the mrs. I don't think I've ever had 300 people at my birthday party. Have a great time.

Sandy and Clint, even after years of living where it seldom snows, I still get uneasy when I hear about inches of snow. Plenty of times each winter I'd have to shovel more than once in a day because the snow just kept coming down.

Jamesbo at various places along the wall, whoever built it put in 3" round clay tubes. They will stay, I'm just not putting in any extra ones.

Well I guess I'll do Awful house for lunch, run a quick errand and get back to work. Beautiful here. Have a happity humpity everyone. I love that commercial where all the people are yelling Hump Day! at the camels.
Old January 21st, 2015, 10:03 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Originally Posted by slantflat

Scot Happy Birthday to the mrs. I don't think I've ever had 300 people at my birthday party. Have a great time.

It's a movie about 300 Spartans Mike Thanks for the better halves B-D wishes

With our four daughters, the M-I-L, the B-I-L, his crew of seven and whoever else that may show, it feels like there are 300 are in my livingroom
Old January 21st, 2015, 10:57 AM
Always room for one more

Scot you should have a themed birthday party and have everyone dress as a Spartan.

Allan I'm the same way on the rare occasion I sell a car. More than once I didn't like the guy that was looking and sent him packing. I mean, I can't sell something to someone I don't approve of. One guy told me of his plan to tour the country for a summer and then sell the car when he went back to England. I said, uh, with no air and no radio this is not the car for you. Boy was that a funny look he gave me.

Okay concrete.
Old January 21st, 2015, 11:06 AM

Mike, 3" ??????????????? I was thinking more like 1/2 " Now I see what cha mean about water in mud out
Old January 21st, 2015, 12:37 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Mike my toga partying days are long over

Old January 21st, 2015, 12:46 PM

Hi all. Scot, I saw Animal House when it came out, thought that it was hilarious, I haven't seen it in awhile though.
Old January 21st, 2015, 01:02 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Hey Dan, 47 meelyun and counting. Still on the same game...
Old January 21st, 2015, 01:27 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Yup Dan, instant classic

Old January 21st, 2015, 01:28 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Oh yeah Dan about your post on the race car thread try these

Lost and Forgotten Drag Strips | Facebook

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/t...strips.313182/

http://www.waterwinterwonderland.com/dragstrips.aspx
Old January 21st, 2015, 02:24 PM

Thanks Scot, I'll have a look.