The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

De Walt battery power tools

Search this Thread

Old June 29th, 2023, 05:43 PM

De Walt battery power tools

Don't waste your money on dewalt tools,stores that sell them won't fix them or send them in to get repaired,No repair centers in mid west,when you call the recording gives a fax number then hangs up.WTF,I know we live in a throw away society,but i paid good money for a hand held saws all,lasted 1.5 yers.
Old June 29th, 2023, 06:33 PM

Between Milwaukee and De walt almost takes up 80% of the total professional top line tools. Have you tried any independent tool repairs, someone surly rebuilds these tools if there is a demand...Tedd
Old June 29th, 2023, 06:35 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

I've been through 5 dehumidifiers in 10 years. At $2-300 ea., all diffrent brands.
I researched to find the top-rated units...all junk. All share the same **** internals. I can't get them to last. They all leak refrigerant....I second the WTF!

Im now looking into commercial-grade units at $1500. If I did that 10 years ago I'd be even.
Old June 29th, 2023, 07:19 PM
71 cutlass convertible

I tried to get the batteries rebuilt on my DeWalt tools. It cost more to get them redone than just buy new ones. Go figure.
Old June 29th, 2023, 07:31 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by lshlsh2
I tried to get the batteries rebuilt on my DeWalt tools. It cost more to get them redone than just buy new ones. Go figure.
This is the reason I limit the amount of battery powered tools I own. You can buy a new tool for what replacement batteries cost. The batteries aren't worth a crap, the efficiency goes away with time, usually in about 2 years.
Old June 30th, 2023, 08:44 PM

I have used Milwaukee and DeWalt on job sites for several years. They have been corded tools and battery powered tools. My preference is for DeWalt 18 V Ni-Cad for home. I can get the Ni-Cad battery locally refurbished (replace internal cells) for half the new price of a battery.

The 20V Li-Ion tools are nice, with the "battery charged" lights. When Li-Ion runs out of charge, there is no warning. Ni-Cad will start slowing down and you can downshift speeds to finish what you are doing.

The worst tools and batteries I used on a job site were Ryobi. The contractor used this brand because they made a right angle grinder that would reach inside a cavity to grind/blend a butt joint. We ran these tools 10-12 hours a day, 6-6 days a week. The contractor cleaned out the inventory at two local Home Depots for the grinders and batteries.
We asked if he knew they were crappy tools and batteries. He told use "yes, but its the only right angle grinder that would fit inside. It was priced into the job and when the job was done, he would throw what was left over in the dumpster." He also told us that he uses DeWalt on other jobs.
Old June 30th, 2023, 08:53 PM
Past owned:

Every 'new' DeWalt and Milwaukee branded tools are now made in China. They are NOT your father's DeWalt and Milwaukee tools of years ago. I have one of the last 'made in Milwaukee, USA' Sawzall's from the early 2000s. It replaced my dad's old one from the 1970s. Runs great. The 'new' ones are all made of plastic, and from China. AKA junk.
Old June 30th, 2023, 08:59 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I have several of the Bauer tools from HF. I have had no problems with them. I have three batteries so I always have a couple charged batteries. The cost is a fraction of the DeWalt and batteries are not expensive.
Old June 30th, 2023, 10:40 PM
72Cutlass S

At work I still use mostly pneumatic tools. The younger guys use the battery impact guns. But to me it still isn’t tight if my Ingersoll Rand didn’t tighten it. The electric impacts just sound weak.
Old July 1st, 2023, 04:18 AM

I bought a Makita electric chainsaw because the 2-stroke Pullin' Pro I had was a piece of junk. The Makita is great! Make sure you don't leave any of the batteries on the charger. Take them off once they're charged. I suppose once the batteries for my chainsaw die I'll rebuild them myself.
Old July 1st, 2023, 06:52 AM
Phantom Phixer

I have a big drawer of "cordless" electric tools.
They are all useless junk, due to batteries.
I vowed to buy only power tools with cords a while ago.
I especially like to buy old USA made tools at garage and estate sales.
Old July 1st, 2023, 09:24 AM

Anyone here actually make a living with their hands? The tone of some of the comments sounds like tool collectors, not people using the tools discussed. You have to strike a balance between price, performance and reliability. Also factoring in for those of us who are not young anymore is weight of the tool. I have had many battery tools back to the beginning of useful battery tool chemistry and affordable new purchase cost. I have 100years of corded and pneumatic power tools also and it is true some of those fit the bill for certain tasks, those becoming fewer as time passes.

If you want the best in everything only a price point such as Snap-On will fill all categories but I can't justify the super high first time purchase price and won't pay $5 week for the rest of my life just to use the very best.

Originally Posted by crossboss
Every 'new' DeWalt and Milwaukee branded tools are now made in China. They are NOT your father's DeWalt and Milwaukee tools of years ago. I have one of the last 'made in Milwaukee, USA' Sawzall's from the early 2000s. It replaced my dad's old one from the 1970s. Runs great. The 'new' ones are all made of plastic, and from China. AKA junk.
More internet BS read here such as above and in this thread. My DeWalt DCD 791 20vMAX XR is far and away the best I ever purchased and have used at any price point, right now rebuilding our deck with 4" long fastener driving. One batt pack lasts easily several days I mention in response to the basis of this thread, and it is not too heavy. I am in the habit of swapping out the pack at the beginning of work daily. Power enough to sprain your wrist so caution is advised. Works pretty well as a stand-in 'impact' type tool for breakdown. White LED work light is super bright and very handy for work in tight spots, and is set to brightest illumination.

Tool and batt pack assembled in USA from sourced components. Cells made in Malaysia. Drop-in charger is made in china 100%.

Old July 1st, 2023, 12:13 PM

FYI the Lithium rechargeable batteries will "ever so slowly go down in power" when left plugged in the tool so for long term storage dis connect the battery

If you have one that will not take the charge it's because the chip says it's too far discharged and won't allow it ... BUT you can Jump Start it with another battery to get the too low one up enough to take the plug in charger ... there are many you tube videos on how to do it with different methods - some simple some not so much ...

Also the Lithium have a temp sensor in the chip and will not allow a HOT battery to be charged so let them cool down ...

Last edited by Cosmic Charlie; July 1st, 2023 at 12:16 PM.
Old July 1st, 2023, 01:02 PM

Charlie and Coldwar make some very good points ! I had always used corded electric and pneumatic tools at work and home. My first Ni-Cad was 9.6 V DeWalt that I bought used. I bought my share of off brand "cordless" tools, but when the batteries died, there were no replacement batteries available. Thats when I made the decision to buy only DeWalt because replacement batteries could be bought.

I chose DeWalt over Milwaukee because I used them on the job with different contractors. The DeWalt corded and cordless tools seemed to stand up to abuse and total negligence better than Milwaukee. I started accumulating DeWalt 18V tools when they came out. I have a cordless drill, 1/2" drive impact, spare batteries and charger at home and at my vacation hide away. I have a DeWalt radio that doubles as a battery charger when plugged into 110 AC or the 18V battery will play music out in the woods for 8-10 hours. The DeWalt portable vacuum cleaner runs on 18 V or 110 AC, with great suction and handy size for small jobs.

For "heavy duty" or "extended use", I use corded tools or good pneumatic stuff. It doesn't make sense to have more than a couple battery chargers. I would have started with 20V Li-Ion if the tools and extra toys had been available.

I was fortunate to find a shop that sold batteries, starters, alternator and all kinds of automotive electrical components. They replace the cells in Ni-Cad rechargeable batteries for half the price of a new replacement battery, about $50. They have about a one month backlog.
https://www.fullservicebattery.biz/

Old July 1st, 2023, 02:42 PM

I love my DeWalts…but not being able to have them serviced is a drag.
My air compressor that I bring to the track and on long trips worked like a champ for 2 years and then died.
After calling Dewalt and local places…it went in the trash.
Thats frustrating.
Old July 1st, 2023, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by OLDSter Ralph
Charlie and Coldwar make some very good points ! I had always used corded electric and pneumatic tools at work and home. My first Ni-Cad was 9.6 V DeWalt that I bought used. I bought my share of off brand "cordless" tools, but when the batteries died, there were no replacement batteries available. Thats when I made the decision to buy only DeWalt because replacement batteries could be bought.

I chose DeWalt over Milwaukee because I used them on the job with different contractors. The DeWalt corded and cordless tools seemed to stand up to abuse and total negligence better than Milwaukee. I started accumulating DeWalt 18V tools when they came out. I have a cordless drill, 1/2" drive impact, spare batteries and charger at home and at my vacation hide away. I have a DeWalt radio that doubles as a battery charger when plugged into 110 AC or the 18V battery will play music out in the woods for 8-10 hours. The DeWalt portable vacuum cleaner runs on 18 V or 110 AC, with great suction and handy size for small jobs.

For "heavy duty" or "extended use", I use corded tools or good pneumatic stuff. It doesn't make sense to have more than a couple battery chargers. I would have started with 20V Li-Ion if the tools and extra toys had been available.

I was fortunate to find a shop that sold batteries, starters, alternator and all kinds of automotive electrical components. They replace the cells in Ni-Cad rechargeable batteries for half the price of a new replacement battery, about $50. They have about a one month backlog.
https://www.fullservicebattery.biz/
There's a guy name John Hoffa in ebay and he rebuilds any kind of batteries. He did a few of my Snap On batteries from 12 volt to 18 volt. The price varies on how much volts from $50 to $160. He gives a 1 year warranty. It took me about a 10 day turn around. He has a 100% feedback. He's from Laurel, Mississippi.
Old July 1st, 2023, 05:13 PM

I'm a carpenter and primarily use cordless tools- Milwaukee, Dewalt and Ridgid. All are good. Batteries last a long time for me. On any given job I use a tool all day long and need to charge the battery for any one tool at least once. I also use my co-workers Dewalt drills and saws and have had no issues. In the past I also had Makita tools which were great.

I can't speak to the longevity of anyone elses tools but I've been on the same batteries for about 4 years and they all work as expected.
The heavier the load the faster the batteries wear down.

I can say I HATE the RIDGID Lifetime Service Agreement. I had one Ridgid tool that needed to have the on off switch and speed switch replaced. I went through 4 replacements from Ridgid in 6 months. The last time they returned a replacement tool to me, the sender ( a third party distributor of Ridgid ) tried to saddle me with the shipping, handling and duties associated with getting the replacement under warranty.
Even after Ridgid confirmed by email to me that I was not responsible for the charges I had to deal with FedEx and a Collection Agency for about 6 months before FedEx finally cancelled the bill. RIDGID WAS NO HELP.
I will never buy another Ridgid tool again. And when the batteries finally reach the end of service, I'll sell the tools cheap.

Other than needing repairs on Ridgid tools all my other tools have not needed any repairs. When batteries are finished they get replaced if the tool is still good.
Old July 1st, 2023, 08:27 PM
Past owned:

Originally Posted by coldwar
Anyone here actually make a living with their hands? The tone of some of the comments sounds like tool collectors, not people using the tools discussed. You have to strike a balance between price, performance and reliability. Also factoring in for those of us who are not young anymore is weight of the tool. I have had many battery tools back to the beginning of useful battery tool chemistry and affordable new purchase cost. I have 100years of corded and pneumatic power tools also and it is true some of those fit the bill for certain tasks, those becoming fewer as time passes.

If you want the best in everything only a price point such as Snap-On will fill all categories but I can't justify the super high first time purchase price and won't pay $5 week for the rest of my life just to use the very best.

More internet BS read here such as above and in this thread. My DeWalt DCD 791 20vMAX XR is far and away the best I ever purchased and have used at any price point, right now rebuilding our deck with 4" long fastener driving. One batt pack lasts easily several days I mention in response to the basis of this thread, and it is not too heavy. I am in the habit of swapping out the pack at the beginning of work daily. Power enough to sprain your wrist so caution is advised. Works pretty well as a stand-in 'impact' type tool for breakdown. White LED work light is super bright and very handy for work in tight spots, and is set to brightest illumination.

Tool and batt pack assembled in USA from sourced components. Cells made in Malaysia. Drop-in charger is made in china 100%.

I made no bs comments my friend. I do make my living with my hands.

Last edited by crossboss; July 1st, 2023 at 09:07 PM.
Old July 2nd, 2023, 04:39 AM

The manufacturers that market these tools do a good job offering multiple tools that all work with the same battery. I have a Makita chainsaw, boombox & 1/2" impact. Of course, it's the same for Milwaukee, DeWalt, etc.

Really, we have no room to complain. At work; the FAA (planes not cows), we use a $50,000+ Anritsu antenna analyzer that has about 3 minutes of battery life.
Old July 2nd, 2023, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by ely442
there's a guy name john hoffa in ebay and he rebuilds any kind of batteries. He did a few of my snap on batteries from 12 volt to 18 volt. The price varies on how much volts from $50 to $160. He gives a 1 year warranty. It took me about a 10 day turn around. He has a 100% feedback. He's from laurel, mississippi.
if you have a link to his ebay service we might be able to use his service. Post the link man.
Old July 2nd, 2023, 05:48 AM
Banned

I too work with my hands. I have never had one problem with any DeWalt ever. Sure Chinese junk takes over many lanes anymore but I have never once had a problem with any of their tools. Kitchen remodels require damn near everything they have. Zero issues here.
Old July 2nd, 2023, 09:09 AM
Jeff

I was reluctant to join the electric tools party, since I don't do a lot with my hands. First item owned was a Milwaukee shop vac, given as a Christmas present to me by the wife. She did NOT buy a battery, under the (correct) theory that I would want to research it a bit and find the right battery size. That allowed me to discover the Milwaukee bundles. I bought a trimmer, leafblower, battery, and charger bundle for about $350 (it's since gone up in price). Love them so much that I recently added a drill and impact driver to the family (another bundle deal) that came with 2 more batteries and another charger. I am now contemplating buying another trimmer and blower to leave at the cottage, and ditch all those annoying little 2 strokes once and for all.
Old July 2nd, 2023, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by 66luvr
if you have a link to his ebay service we might be able to use his service. Post the link man.
Sorry dude, Hoffa's Batteries | eBay Stores
Old July 2nd, 2023, 08:09 PM
72Cutlass S

Originally Posted by coldwar

I also make my living with my hands. I have worked at Ford dealerships for 26 years and to date work for a huge national fleet of heavy duty vehicles for the last 10 years. I have and still do own both types of tools and the cordless tools suck. To the point I have totally gone back to corded or pneumatic tools since I can count on them to see the job through. I cant tell you how many times my cordless drill has left itself overheated and with a low battery. Leaving me to re group and finish the job with a proper. Pneumatic drill that will go all day. There are s also plenty of times I see my co workers use a 1/2” cordless impact to tighten 15/16” axle flange nuts on rockwell axles that go on to leak or pitch out the gaskets due to improper torque. They just sound weak when they are using them.
Old July 3rd, 2023, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by ELY442
There's a guy name John Hoffa in ebay and he rebuilds any kind of batteries. He did a few of my Snap On batteries from 12 volt to 18 volt. The price varies on how much volts from $50 to $160. He gives a 1 year warranty. It took me about a 10 day turn around. He has a 100% feedback. He's from Laurel, Mississippi.
He does not do Lithium.
I really hoped you were right and he could/would fix my batteries.
Old July 3rd, 2023, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by Weezer
ditch all those annoying little 2 strokes once and for all.
That's why I bought that Makita chainsaw. It performs phenomenally better than a gas chainsaw for a DIY.
Old July 3rd, 2023, 12:21 PM
Past Administrator

I suspect that battery chemistry is advancing faster than the tool market can keep up. We all hate having to replace tools because batteries are obsolete and the only choices are chuck them or try to have them rebuilt. At first it seemed to me that this was intentional. You get a tool with a 12v battery, a year later they have a 14v battery and the 12v is obsolete, a year later it is 18v. What are they up to now 40v? I don't really know. Maybe it is an intentional marketing thing, hard to say. I will comment that I spent 15+ years working as a repair technician for Motorola working on portable radios and saw the battery technology do what I described above. Motorola would sell an individual charger which was pretty stupid (uncontrolled charging current) but also would sell "smart" chargers, especially in the multiple unit format. Those things weren't cheap but they were in fact smart and would control the current for charging a battery; sensing the battery type first, then adjusting the charge curve appropriately for maximum charge and efficiency as well as longevity of the battery. But they followed the same pattern, every year or so a new model radio with a newer, higher voltage battery to go with it.

Addressing the issue of rebuilding a battery pack on your own. I have tried to do that but was not sure about soldering the individual cells together, worrying about applying too much heat and damaging the chemistry. I noticed on the packs that I did try to repair that the original cells were all sonicly welded with metal strips, not soldered with wires. My efforts were not too successfull.

Finally, I have a set of Ryobi tools (impact driver and drill) only because my wife bought them for me as a Christmas gift. They work, kinda but I wish I had better. I still like the corded drill that I bought at a yard sale that is probably 50 years old but man is it heavy!
Old July 3rd, 2023, 02:37 PM

Since two strokes were mentioned, I find them to have different problems than battery electric. Battery electric starts great then dies. 2 strokes, if you can get them running and keep them in fluids, you are good for that heat cycle.

Speaking of which, I really don't want to go do more chainsawing, but we have an *** ton of branches and trees down due to a storm or three, and my 026 Woodboss Stihl, made in West Germany, is an angry little **** on that stuff. May need a new chain soon, but it can sure turn gas and oil into heat, noise, smoke, and sawdust.

I like battery tools for small, on the move jobs. I do like corded and hosed tools better. We've mostly gone to fixtured electronic tensor tools on the car factory assembly line for better control, but I remember some pneumatic monsters. We have two inch air manifolds serving each assembly line, shop air is 100 psi on a good day, but we spec equipment to 85.