The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The Copper Cutlass may possibly be done for

Search this Thread

Old September 17th, 2023, 09:17 AM
Chevy budget Olds powered

The Copper Cutlass may possibly be done for

It's been a rough year. I started the new year at a new shop that wasn't working out. Made another move everything so far is ok. On our first outing to test in april we sheared the distributor pin on the engine . My wife fell that day and broke her leg in 5 places. . She has surgery and was not working for 4 months. She encouraged me to run my sportsman series and I did. The engine still had issues. After the second race where we where swapping out the #5 spark plug . I pulled the J headed 350 out. A wrist pin walked out and gouged up the cylinder wall bad !!!!. I put the old engine back in and then the oil pump failed at idle after some run time. Pulled it back out nothing was hurt replaced the oil pump all was well. I have been looking at the tune up little by little making it better and just as I'm getting the car ready to hit the track. I find a massive crack in the frame. This happened recently. In the past I heard a metallic grinding noise but my backing plates would shift ( long story) but that issue was fixed and when I pulled the rear drums off everything was fine. The noise I was hearing was the drive shaft slightly rubbing on the driveshaft safety loop. The frame is cracked and buckled it shifted over pretty bad. The floor pan work I did when I was 17 and it's not the greatest. There is a bunch of patch work sins on the main shell. I think it's time to find a donor and move on. Keep everything but the body shell and frame . But looking at the cost of everything I think I'm better off buying a new car and selling the car as is. I've been messing with this car non stop for 18 years. The thought of selling it has crossed my mind many times but now I'm at a cross roads. I'm older time is more limited and I'm not nearly as motivated as I used to be. I'd love to stay with an olds but the cost of building the car just isn't in my current financial plan. This is a tough pill to swallow. I've covered most of my ups and downs with the car on my YouTube and it's been a saga to say the least this year.

https://youtu.be/-MCDkMyOaLU?si=6sLXaO5Cck7DA_Vr
Old September 17th, 2023, 09:47 AM

So sorry to hear about your wife. Hopefully she is heal up. Alway enjoyed your SBO engine builds, beautiful paint job and work you have done. You were working with a 50 year old frame. Take a few deep breath!! Make a plan. I do not have any of your expertise.But, I can do anything for you, please let me know! John
Old September 17th, 2023, 12:19 PM

I have really enjoyed your threads and posts in the past. Sorry to hear of your bad luck with the Olds and even worse your wife's injury. My advice, same as John, take a break and regroup. Good luck.
Old September 17th, 2023, 01:33 PM

Hope your wife heals quickly. Good luck with the Oldsmobile.
Old September 17th, 2023, 03:02 PM

I hope your wife heals quickly and completely. I've always enjoyed your builds and watching the Cutlass that could. I understand the change in amount of time available, just seasons of life.
Happy to offer moral support, and assistance in locating reasonably priced parts to help you in your efforts.
Old September 17th, 2023, 03:32 PM

Sorry to hear about your Sweetheart, hopefully she will recover quickly. As far as your Olds, have you considered getting another frame for it ? They can still be found in places like California, Nevada and other dry climate states. You have accomplished amazing things with your Olds. It would be a shame for it to end.
Old September 17th, 2023, 06:17 PM

I’m very sympathetic to your situation with your girl. Please know that many of us have dealt with similar issues and are truly sympathetic to her condition. With regards to the Copper Cutlass, it is painful to read that your enthusiasm, clear talent and obviously your beautiful car will likely leave our community based on personal issues. Thank you for sharing your experience/opinions and very unique and tastefully displayed example of your personality/skill. Fond regards…
Old September 17th, 2023, 06:20 PM

Just park the car for a year or so and save some money.
Old September 18th, 2023, 11:47 AM
Chevy budget Olds powered

Thanks guys. I got a lot to consider. I appreciate the kind words. My Pontiac is still olds powered so even if i decided to part the car or sell it. I'm keeping my engines and transmissions.

As for my wife she is doing great is back to work but still has a lot of recovery ahead of her to be back to 100 percent.
Old September 18th, 2023, 01:09 PM

Sorry to hear all this. I've enjoyed following along with your adventures and experiences with the Copper Cutlass since I first got active in the forum about the same time as you. I guess all cars run their course eventually, and this one has been a great platform for you to learn and hone your skills on. Hopefully you find a way ahead on it that makes sense, and we're able to keep following along for your successes!
Old September 18th, 2023, 03:18 PM
Old School Olds

Glad to hear your wife is on the mend. Sorry to hear of the Cutlass. Seems the other day on fakebook some one was selling a 70 Cutlass
frame and running gear for $950 or so, engine transmission and rearend. I don't remember the details but you may be able to hunt it down
and if it was close could be a winner. Good luck with it all Copper.
Old September 18th, 2023, 05:37 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

It might be a little harder to do but one thing you might think about if you decide to keep the car is getting a convertible frame or boxing a regular frame. Or maybe you retire the old gal from the track and just make a cruiser out of her.
Old September 18th, 2023, 10:02 PM

Might be time to learn how to make a tube frame, slowly, as money, time, and education permit.