Inner Tie Rod grease fittings

Search this Thread

Old December 27th, 2014, 04:24 AM
Kenn

Inner Tie Rod grease fittings

I just got new tie rod ends for my 68 - and noticed that both the inner and outer tie rods have the grease fittings on the bottom of the joint, which is fine for the outer ends, but with the inners there is no way to grease them once installed without removing the pitman arm and dropping the whole assembly because the fitting is too close to the frame. The original inner tie rod ends had the grease fittings on the side. Am I missing something, or has anyone else run into this with replacement tie rod ends?
Old December 27th, 2014, 04:43 AM
Just an Olds Guy

??? All the inner tie rod ends I've seen have the fitting on the end. Post a pic. You wouldn't take off the Pitman arm because it's torqued to about 190 ft lbs. who did you buy these tie rods from, because the fitment is pretty much standardized. You have to install the zirc fitting in each end yourself.

EDIT-Are you sure you don't have 2 sets of outers?
Old December 27th, 2014, 04:54 AM
Kenn

Tie Rod Ends

I know I don't have two outers because the threads are correct and the adjusting sleeve goes on just fine. Give me a couple of minutes to get some more coffee and I'll post a pic..

EDIT: All inners have left-hand threads

Last edited by kstern58; December 27th, 2014 at 04:57 AM.
Old December 27th, 2014, 05:17 AM
Kenn

Tie Rod Pics

I have not tightened any of this up - they are just placed in position. The gearbox is out for rebuild. I don't want to name the vendor, because I don't feel it's their fault, and I know he'll take the return with no issues. It just strikes me as weird. Obviously, I can't use these - but I'm just looking for a sanity check. Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Center.jpg (64.9 KB, 59 views)
DrvrSide.jpg (30.4 KB, 56 views)
DrvrSideInner.jpg (60.6 KB, 53 views)
DrvrSideOuter.jpg (57.2 KB, 53 views)
Old December 27th, 2014, 05:19 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by kstern58

EDIT: All inners have left-hand threads
Yeah, I did my complete front end 3 years ago, and had no issues with the fitment of the tie rods, pitman connection, idler or drag link. Only part I re used was the pitman arm, and it never came off the steering box.
Old December 27th, 2014, 05:46 AM

Any chance you could PM me the vendor or part number on those? I've been looking for a pair of inners with the fitting on the back. Pretty common on A body LS swaps to have the inner tie rod grease fitting to contact the pan. Those fitted with a 90 degree fitting would be perfect for my set up.
Old December 27th, 2014, 05:50 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by kstern58
I have not tightened any of this up - they are just placed in position. The gearbox is out for rebuild. I don't want to name the vendor, because I don't feel it's their fault, and I know he'll take the return with no issues. It just strikes me as weird. Obviously, I can't use these - but I'm just looking for a sanity check. Thanks
I've never seen that either, but can't you just turn the wheels all the way one way and then the other to access the grease fittings? I usually have to do that with the edge-mounted oned anyway.
Old December 27th, 2014, 06:29 AM

I encountered the same issue with my 66 project. Swap the straight Zircs for small 90's and you are good to go. You will still have to turn the wheel a bit to get the lube nozzle on them, but it will work.
Old December 28th, 2014, 10:57 AM

Lightbulb

I've done the same solution that Randy suggested. If that doesn't work for some reason, you could also try a swivel nozzle for your grease gun.