Master chassis bolt kit suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old August 31st, 2013, 06:48 PM
Chris

Master chassis bolt kit suggestions?

My friend is doing a frame off resto of his 68 malibu as i am doing mine on my 72 supreme, both helping each other (see, we can all get along lol...). He purchased a master chassis bolt kit from AMK for his car, but they don't list any for cutlass, although they do for 70-72 chevelle. I am assuming they would be the same but i would have to check with AMK.
Does anyone know of a place where i can get all the hardware that i would need for the entire chassis, neatly labeled in bags, just like AMK does?
Thanks!
Chris
Old August 31st, 2013, 07:13 PM
Administrator

Like this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/71-72-Cutlas...item4d108e3c6b

I would think the kit for the Chevelle will also work on a Cutlass with the exception of some moldings.

Last edited by oldcutlass; August 31st, 2013 at 07:17 PM.
Old August 31st, 2013, 07:15 PM
Chris

Thanks for the link, but no, not for sheet metal, but for the chassis, control arm bolts, motor mount bolts, shock bolts, etc...
Old August 31st, 2013, 07:30 PM
Administrator

Sorry I edited my post above while you were posting yours. I would think the kit for the Chevelle will also work on a Cutlass with the exception of some moldings.
Old September 1st, 2013, 05:46 AM
Chris

Here is the amk page, they have these complete kits, but they dont list cutlass... Tis is the type of thing i am looking for... Thanks!
http://www.amkproducts.com/GM_Kits.htm
Chris
Old February 4th, 2021, 06:11 AM

Same question

Anyone try this kit for a cutlass? Did you have any issues?
Old February 4th, 2021, 10:23 AM

Put Polygraphite bushing throughout my car, improve handling.

https://p-s-t.com/i-23159817-polygra...LASS%20SUPREME
Old February 4th, 2021, 11:59 AM

I used this kit from Inline Tube. It includes all the hardware for fenders, inner fenders, radiator support, headlight buckets, and grills. I pulled my front clip last year to change door hinges. I had to buy bolts for the door and hood hinges but everything was replaced with this kit. I think I only had a couple of clips and spacer left over. They are not labeled but they do have the factory correct markings. Pretty good deal for $50.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1964-81-GM-...t/163412757799
Old February 4th, 2021, 04:13 PM

I'm replacing all the chassis hardware ie. Control arms, trailing arms, steering box bolts etc. Thats why I was looking into the chevelle AMK chassis hardware kit for my cutlass. Let me know if anyone had any luck with it. Thanks for the link for the panel hardware, ill definitely look into that. Might as well replace those too.
Old February 5th, 2021, 06:54 AM

The Chevelle hardware is functionally identical to the Cutlass hardware for anything that's *not* the body. Might not have the right markings for a 1000 point restoration, but everything mounted directly to the chassis is the same. Except the core support mounts. But everything else. It might not have all the engine mount hardware, and the chevy uses a different trans crossmember....
anyway, all the suspension stuff is the same.
Old February 5th, 2021, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by oddball
The Chevelle hardware is functionally identical to the Cutlass hardware for anything that's *not* the body. Might not have the right markings for a 1000 point restoration, but everything mounted directly to the chassis is the same. Except the core support mounts. But everything else. It might not have all the engine mount hardware, and the chevy uses a different trans crossmember....
anyway, all the suspension stuff is the same.

Thats awesome! Thanks for clarifying that.
another question i have is that they have a kit for 71-72 and a separate kit for 70 only. I'm using a 70 cutlass convertible frame under a 72 cutlass convertible frame. Would I run into issue because of this?
Old February 5th, 2021, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by kannakc
Thats awesome! Thanks for clarifying that.
another question i have is that they have a kit for 71-72 and a separate kit for 70 only. I'm using a 70 cutlass convertible frame under a 72 cutlass convertible frame. Would I run into issue because of this?
Huh. You'd have to ask them what they change between the kits. Nothing obvious comes to mind. There would be differences in the fuel lines, I bet. Don't know if the kit includes that kind of stuff.
Old February 5th, 2021, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by oddball
Huh. You'd have to ask them what they change between the kits. Nothing obvious comes to mind. There would be differences in the fuel lines, I bet. Don't know if the kit includes that kind of stuff.
Sorry what I meant to say was, im using a 70 frame under 72 body. I thought same thing, there shouldn't be any major differences when it comes to chassis and suspension. Well guess I'll find out come spring. Thanks again for the info. Cheers!
Old February 6th, 2021, 07:22 AM

There's no issue with the frame swap.