frame coating help

Search this Thread

Old August 8th, 2008, 10:18 PM

frame coating help

I got my 80 cutlass tore down to the frame an have sand blasted the frame and fixed the few small rust spots. I want to paint the frame but am woried about the inside of the tubes over the rear wheels. I was going to try a toilet brush dipped in paint and run it up thru the tubes. Any sugestions, or does any body know of a frame service where the fram is dipped. Thanks
Old August 9th, 2008, 09:28 AM
Past Administrator

Interesting approach, it would probably work but be very messy. You could also try a spary bottle/wand, the kind for applying weed killer or bug spray with the pump handle on the top. If you buy a new one and open up the nozzle enough for the paint to flow through under the hand pumped pressure you could possible access the tubes enough to thoroughly coat them that way.
Old August 9th, 2008, 09:54 AM
Purveyor of Polyurethane

If you can't get to it in order to get paint on it, chances are it hasn't been sand blasted either. Paint won't do much over a bunch of scaly, crusty rust. I'd be concerned about getting it cleaned up in inside there first.
there are a variety of attachments that we use in the collision industry to restore corrosion protection on the inside of inaccessible body panels. the most common is a long hose with a nozzle that sprays 360 degrees & can be attached to a spray can. you might check your local auto body jobber.(not a NAPA that sells paint, they don't know jack about what they sell when it comes to paint)
Old August 9th, 2008, 10:46 AM

long hose with a nozzle that sprays 360 degrees
That is cool, it would be interesting to see one.

chances are it hasn't been sand blasted either
That is a good point.

Paint won't do much over a bunch of scaly, crusty rust.
Don't use paint, use POR 15 to coat your frame. They actually make a kit for people refurbishing the frame. It is great and it converts rust and prevents it from spreading.

Sorry about the quote thing. I actually feel like Norm.
Old August 9th, 2008, 01:00 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

I used a 10 dollar siphon fed sandblaster, and ran the hose into a quart of POR-15