Buyer & Seller Feedback This thread is the place to put Buyer or Seller feedback. Be sure to CHECK THE RULES before you post!

scam alert gage manning reno nv

Search this Thread

Old August 27th, 2019, 08:38 PM

scam alert gage manning reno nv

i posted a wanted ad on here for 80-85 delta 88 coupe doors. i put my number in the ad which probably wasn't the smartest thing to do. i got a call from a guy in nevada who said his dad passed away and he had alot of parts to get rid of. he said he hd a pair of clean nevada coupe doors. it seemed kinda sketchy and i probably could have avoided all this if i was smarter but i have been looking for a set of doors for forever so i took a gamble. he wanted to use moneygram and i sent him $350. he was supposed to send the tracking information but he made up some bs ab the freight broker and he gave me a reference number and the name of a freight brokerage which doesn't have a location in nevada. im ab 98% sure this stuff will never show up at my house. Im aware its my fault i got burned but im just posting this to let other know

his name is Gage Manning or at least he has an id with that name to collect from moneygram
his phone number is 775-455-6977

if on the off chance these parts do show up ill update this post
Old August 27th, 2019, 08:57 PM

Sorry to hear about your loss. I'm not going to rag on you about being careful dealing with potential scammers. Seems you're owning that. I know it sucks, but hey, if he comes through, great! Not holding out hope, though.

Did he send you pics of the doors? Or did you not get any? ALWAYS ask for pics. Then ask for some additional obscure picture detail or angle to help ensure he's not finding them off the interwebz somewhere and he would at least giving you real deal pictures.

And when dealing with anyone for the first time or someone you don't know personally- US POSTAL MONEY ORDER. What the f is a moneygram anyway? That would make red flags go up, at least for me. If they don't take a Postal Money Order, then they ain't getting any of my money. It may not always help, but it's saved my butt a couple of times. I let the Postal Inspector's office know of potential fraud, and they were all over the *****.
Old August 28th, 2019, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by 69HO43
Sorry to hear about your loss. I'm not going to rag on you about being careful dealing with potential scammers. Seems you're owning that. I know it sucks, but hey, if he comes through, great! Not holding out hope, though.

Did he send you pics of the doors? Or did you not get any? ALWAYS ask for pics. Then ask for some additional obscure picture detail or angle to help ensure he's not finding them off the interwebz somewhere and he would at least giving you real deal pictures.

And when dealing with anyone for the first time or someone you don't know personally- US POSTAL MONEY ORDER. What the f is a moneygram anyway? That would make red flags go up, at least for me. If they don't take a Postal Money Order, then they ain't getting any of my money. It may not always help, but it's saved my butt a couple of times. I let the Postal Inspector's office know of potential fraud, and they were all over the *****.
That really sucks, sorry to hear that. For my own education on this, is the only difference by using a postal money order the ability to notify Postal inspector of fraud? They still can cash it with a fake I.D. right like a moneygram?
Old August 28th, 2019, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by scrappie
That really sucks, sorry to hear that. For my own education on this, is the only difference by using a postal money order the ability to notify Postal inspector of fraud? They still can cash it with a fake I.D. right like a moneygram?
Perhaps, but because you are doing a part of the transaction using the USPS, the Postmaster General's office can get involved for mail fraud felony charges IF they run up on the scammer if you do feel you're getting scammed.

Did that with an NOS cruise control lever from Texas. Out of Hemming's Motor News. Guy disappeared after he got my money order. Then claims he never got it. I contacted USPS. He had cashed it. They sent me a copy of a letter they sent him. It was not a nice letter. This is typical first move for the PG's office to do. Amazingly, he sent me the lever and refunded my purchase price! I contacted the number on the letter they sent me to update their status so they could close out the case. It works. At least sometimes.

I realize it may not always work, but it's better than some generic money order service that may or may not have any more protection than sending cash.

Just be careful out there. Scammers exist everywhere.
Old August 28th, 2019, 07:32 AM

Bummer.

Hopefully your parts will show up.
Old August 28th, 2019, 12:40 PM

yeah i don't expect to get my money back cause money gram says ur not supposed to use it to buy stuff and if you lose your money theyre not responsible. i just posted this to give the forum a heads up bc he definitely saw my post here and i know its a public forum and anyone can see it but i talked to him on the phone for a long time ab different oldsmobiles and he knew alot so he's definitely a legitimate olds guy just also a con artist. he told me he was in his 70's and calling from a land line so he couldn't send pics. i had a feeling right there it might be a rip off but i took his word bc its I'm possible to find parts for 1980-1985 delta 88s where i live bc they all end up in the joliet demolition derby or are rusted beyond repair and i have been after a set of doors for this car forever. you live and learn i guess haha