What brand do you guys recommend?

Search this Thread

Old December 26th, 2016, 07:28 PM

What brand do you guys recommend?

Hello everyone and happy holidays,

One of the discount auto stores nearby has multiple brands for brake pads: auto plus/auto extra, Bendix, Wagner and perfect stop.

Who here recognizes any of those and if so was your experience good or bad? Noisy? Lasts well?
Old December 27th, 2016, 02:28 AM
Lansing built

Bendix and Wagner have been trusted names for many years!

Pat
Old December 27th, 2016, 03:03 AM

I like these, best pads I have found. I have them on 3 vehicles right now. They stop great, are quiet and very, very little dust.
http://www.wagnerbrake.com/products/...ermoquiet.html
And I buy them at Amazon, much cheaper. Here is an example I use on the blue car which has a disc "Kit" from a major supply house.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old December 27th, 2016, 04:49 AM
Hookers under Hood

X3 Bendix or wagner would be trusted names. I have a set of hawk pads on my 76 currently but they stop the same as the wagner's I took off .

Eric
Old December 27th, 2016, 06:48 AM
Old(s) Fart

Bendix, Wagner, Raybestos, and EIS are all respected US-made brand names. You can still get Wagner and Raybestos from RockAuto. Steer clear of NAPA. All their brake parts are Chinesium these days, even the more expensive "premium" brands. If you have a model that isn't well supported for replacement parts (like the 61-63 F-85 or the 65-70 full size cars), your choices are more limited. Kanter sells Chinesuim brake parts for these cars. Craig at Mobileparts usually has old stock US-made parts or can get them.
Old December 27th, 2016, 10:28 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Well, crap I have Napa pads on the back. I have Wagner's to go on the front.
Old December 27th, 2016, 10:31 AM

Thank you guys, Wagner it is! And they're a good price too, $14 total. All of you have a happy New Year.
Old December 27th, 2016, 12:25 PM
Hookers under Hood

Good call on the NAPA pads Joe, I wouldn't have know. Good heads up to all of us. Happy New Year Rick!
Old December 28th, 2016, 05:47 AM

I would think more important than the brand would be the composition. Are all of the pads you listed available in the same composition? I prefer to install organic pads and shoes instead of semi-metallic or metallic.
Old December 28th, 2016, 07:18 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 76olds
Good call on the NAPA pads Joe, I wouldn't have know. Good heads up to all of us. Happy New Year Rick!
Yeah, it really PI$$ED me off when I paid extra for their premium grade drums for my truck, only to find they were STILL Chinesium and STILL out of round right out of the box.

The M/C I just bought from NAPA for my wife's 85 D88 was also Chinesium, though I knew that going in. Unfortunately I needed it right away and didn't have time to order the Raybestos one from RA.

Originally Posted by Olds64
I prefer to install organic pads and shoes instead of semi-metallic or metallic.
I prefer the stopping power of semi-metallic and will happily put up with more frequent rotor/drum replacement and occasional squeaks. Use anti-squeak on the backs of the pads (and silicone grease where the pads/shoes touch the calipers or backing plates) and squeaks are rarely a problem with metallics.
Old December 28th, 2016, 08:02 AM

For my 66 with drums, I had John Andreotti of Otts Friction Supply put Abex premium linings on the shoes.
Old December 28th, 2016, 01:43 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Yeah, it really PI$$ED me off when I paid extra for their premium grade drums for my truck, only to find they were STILL Chinesium and STILL out of round right out of the box.

The M/C I just bought from NAPA for my wife's 85 D88 was also Chinesium, though I knew that going in. Unfortunately I needed it right away and didn't have time to order the Raybestos one from RA.
It has been 20 years that the cheap Chinese drums and rotors have been out of round, out of box.

I prefer the stopping power of semi-metallic and will happily put up with more frequent rotor/drum replacement and occasional squeaks. Use anti-squeak on the backs of the pads (and silicone grease where the pads/shoes touch the calipers or backing plates) and squeaks are rarely a problem with metallics.
Old December 28th, 2016, 01:44 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

It been 20 years that the cheap Chinese drums and rotors have been out of round, out of box.
Old December 28th, 2016, 02:27 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by olds 307 and 403
It been 20 years that the cheap Chinese drums and rotors have been out of round, out of box.
Which is why I paid extra for their "premium" drums. I thought "premium" meant "higher quality". Silly me. Apparently the extra cost only covers the "insurance" costs of the longer warranty. The parts are exactly the same ones in their less expensive line. Another scam that pi$$es me off.
Old December 28th, 2016, 04:27 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

At least years ago, the out of round Chinese rotors and drums were so cheap that you could get them fixed and still be cheaper, not anymore.
Old December 28th, 2016, 06:00 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I prefer the stopping power of semi-metallic and will happily put up with more frequent rotor/drum replacement and occasional squeaks.
Joe, check the coefficient of friction information about different brake compositions -

"Organic" pads actually stop the best, the first time, but lose their friction the fastest when they get hot.

For normal driving (no towing, no mountain roads, no racing), "organics" will stop best.
Once you get into any form of "high performance" or "heavy duty" use, the "semi-metallic" pads will do better.

For a lot of guys here, who "cruise" conservatively, the "organics" will be the best way to go.

Also, for guys with the unobtainium pre-'71 fullsize rotors, preserving their rotors will be a priority.

And, yes, go with an established American brand name, and you'll be alright.

- Eric
Old December 29th, 2016, 06:24 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Once you get into any form of "high performance" or "heavy duty" use, the "semi-metallic" pads will do better.
My driving style is best described as "heavy duty use".

Couple that with the stop-and-go traffic in the Wash DC area (and self-centered drivers who will force their way in with no warning if you leave more than 0.8 of a car length in front of you) and I stand by my selection.
Old December 29th, 2016, 06:33 AM

I've heard that "back in the day" one could get pads and shoes relined. I suppose this was during the time of asbestos brakes...

Are NOS pads and shoes before a certain year simply asbestos instead of organic, semi-metallic, metallic or ceramic?
Old December 29th, 2016, 06:47 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Olds64
I've heard that "back in the day" one could get pads and shoes relined. I suppose this was during the time of asbestos brakes...

Are NOS pads and shoes before a certain year simply asbestos instead of organic, semi-metallic, metallic or ceramic?
"Back in the day"??? You can still get shoes relined. For some vehicles that aren't supported with replacement parts, that's the only option. Besides, why do you think you have to return the old shoes as cores?

Federal law required the production of asbestos brake linings in the US to end in 1993, and by 1995 asbestos linings were not allowed on new cars.
Old December 29th, 2016, 06:51 AM

Interesting, I thought asbestos was phased out earlier. Learn something new everyday.
Old December 29th, 2016, 06:52 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

My driving style is best described as "heavy duty use".

Couple that with the stop-and-go traffic in the Wash DC area (and self-centered drivers who will force their way in with no warning if you leave more than 0.8 of a car length in front of you) and I stand by my selection.
Fair enough. Just wanted to make the point that those who drive under less stressful conditions than you do (many of our more rural members and readers) might do better to choose "organic" pads.

- Eric
Old December 29th, 2016, 09:41 AM

FWIW, my experience with Raybestos 9"x2" shoes has been sub-par. Squealed like a freight train once they got hot. Centric Heavy Duty have been working out better.