Oil filter adapter

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2010, 07:57 PM

Oil filter adapter

I have been told that there is a checkball in the oil filter adapter on some cars and possibly a 455 olds. If the filter gets pluged the check ball will open and allow the oil to bypass the filter? Also is there an adapter that I can purchase that would allow me to check oil pressure at the filter instead of the stock location in front of the intake manifold? Will this give a better indication of oil pressure? Does anybody run there gauges from the oil filter?

Thanks
Tim
Old May 3rd, 2010, 08:09 PM

Your best bet is to drill and tap it yourself.

Gene
Old May 4th, 2010, 05:09 AM

You could probably monitor oil pressure at the filter with one of these kits. I don't know if it would be more accurate.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G4985/
Old May 4th, 2010, 08:24 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by tim72
I have been told that there is a checkball in the oil filter adapter on some cars and possibly a 455 olds. If the filter gets pluged the check ball will open and allow the oil to bypass the filter? Also is there an adapter that I can purchase that would allow me to check oil pressure at the filter instead of the stock location in front of the intake manifold? Will this give a better indication of oil pressure? Does anybody run there gauges from the oil filter?

Thanks
Tim
It's called a bypass valve and all engines have this.

I don't know why you would want to check pressure at the filter. There is a pressure drop as the oil makes its way through the engine. Pressure will always be lower at the port in the front of the block than at the filter. That's why you want to measure it there. If you measured it at the filter, you might get a reading that appeared to be acceptable, yet pressure at the port at the front of the motor might still be too low.
Old May 4th, 2010, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
It's called a bypass valve and all engines have this.

I don't know why you would want to check pressure at the filter. There is a pressure drop as the oil makes its way through the engine. Pressure will always be lower at the port in the front of the block than at the filter. That's why you want to measure it there. If you measured it at the filter, you might get a reading that appeared to be acceptable, yet pressure at the port at the front of the motor might still be too low.
You are correct. My issue is that I have had restictors put in and I am reading 6 psi (or less) at the port in the front of the block at idle. This goes back to Mondello and his reasoning. Of course I have a street car not a full blown drag car. The car runs fine (so far) but the lack of oil pressure reading at idle is scarying me. At 3000 rpm it reads about 42 at start up and drops to around 30 at temperature. I guess I need to know if the restrictors are the issue, if there is one at all. there are a lot of pro's and cons about restrictors. You seem to know your stuff and your response would be appreciated.

Tim 72
Old May 4th, 2010, 01:25 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by tim72
You are correct. My issue is that I have had restictors put in and I am reading 6 psi (or less) at the port in the front of the block at idle. This goes back to Mondello and his reasoning. Of course I have a street car not a full blown drag car. The car runs fine (so far) but the lack of oil pressure reading at idle is scarying me. At 3000 rpm it reads about 42 at start up and drops to around 30 at temperature. I guess I need to know if the restrictors are the issue, if there is one at all. there are a lot of pro's and cons about restrictors. You seem to know your stuff and your response would be appreciated.

Tim 72
There are two kinds of restrictors, the common ones that go in the feed holes between the mains and the cam bearings, and the ones that go in the lifter feed holes off the main galleries. In either case, the restrictors should never DECREASE the oil pressure. Take a look at the oiling diagram in the CSM. The Olds oil system feeds the main galleries first, then the mains, then the cams. The oil port at the front of the block is at the forward end of the driver's side main gallery. Restrictors in the lifter feed holes would increase the pressure in this gallery. Restrictors in the cam bearing feed holes should also keep more oil in the main galleries. In any case, measuring the oil pressure at the adapter will simply provide a false sense of security. Unfortunately, you'll STILL have low pressure in the main galleries. Unfortunately it sounds like your bearing clearance is a little excessive. What oil weight are you using?
Old May 4th, 2010, 04:55 PM

There are two kinds of restrictors, the common ones that go in the feed holes between the mains and the cam bearings, and the ones that go in the lifter feed holes off the main galleries. In either case, the restrictors should never DECREASE the oil pressure. Take a look at the oiling diagram in the CSM. The Olds oil system feeds the main galleries first, then the mains, then the cams. The oil port at the front of the block is at the forward end of the driver's side main gallery. Restrictors in the lifter feed holes would increase the pressure in this gallery. Restrictors in the cam bearing feed holes should also keep more oil in the main galleries. In any case, measuring the oil pressure at the adapter will simply provide a false sense of security. Unfortunately, you'll STILL have low pressure in the main galleries. Unfortunately it sounds like your bearing clearance is a little excessive. What oil weight are you using?
I am using 20-50 Brad Penn. For your info the guys at oldsmobile performance products said the same exact thing. The only other thing that he asked was what type of oil filter I was using which is a Fram. He said to toss it and get a Wix. Apparently some folks have had issues with Fram. My motor was built by D&S Engine MotorCity Muscle. Everybody can make mistakes but these guys supposedly have a solid reputation. The restrictors were put in The mains. Would the oil pump be an issue? If none of this works the motor will be going back. Again thanks for your response. At least I will not get the run arouind at the engine builder.
Old May 4th, 2010, 05:37 PM

Was the 20w-50 recommend by the engine builder? I would think 10w-30 or 10w-40 would be better for a stock or mild built engine with tighter clearance then a racing engine that would require 20w-50. That would explain oil pressure being low at idle.

Last edited by 70 cutlass s; May 5th, 2010 at 08:35 PM.
Old May 4th, 2010, 07:12 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 70 cutlass s
Was the 20-w50 recommend by the engine builder? I would think 10-w30 or 10-w40 would be better for a stock or mild built engine with tighter clearance then a racing engine that would require 20-w50. That would explain oil pressure being low at idle.
Um, a heavier weight oil like 20W-50 will give you HIGHER oil pressure at idle, not lower.
Old May 5th, 2010, 03:24 AM

Um, a heavier weight oil like 20W-50 will give you HIGHER oil pressure at idle, not lower.
Yeah, but with a new engine if built right. Wouldn't need that heavy of oil. If it did then something is not right. A guy I know built a engine it only had 8 psi at idle he was running 20w-50. He wanted me to take apart to see if he missed something. I told him before I took it apart to change to 10w-30. He did and oil pressure went to 17 psi at idle after being warmed up. Explain that one to me. Joe I don't mean this as a insult, but I have seen this and I agree it should be higher.

I not saying that this is the op's problem. He could have bearing clearance problem that the problem with not building your own engine. Your trusting some else checked everything.

Last edited by 70 cutlass s; May 5th, 2010 at 08:34 PM.
Old May 5th, 2010, 10:50 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 70 cutlass s
Yeah, but with a new engine if built right. Wouldn't need that heavy of oil. If it did then something is not right. A guy I know built a engine it only had 8 psi at idle he was running 20-w50. He wanted me to take apart to see if he missed something. I told him before I took it apart to change to 10-w30. He did and oil pressure went to 17 psi at idle after being warmed up. Explain that one to me. Joe I don't mean this as a insult, but I have seen this and I agree it should be higher.

I not saying that this is the op's problem. He could have bearing clearance problem that the problem with not building your own engine. Your trusting some else checked everything.
Andy, I agree with you that a new engine shouldn't require 20W-50. My point was that ANY engine will have higher oil pressure with heavier weight oil. That's why cold oil pressure is always higher than hot oil pressure.
Old May 6th, 2010, 04:48 AM

I don't know what your bearing clearances are,but if they are looser,like mine,your will have lower oil pressure.I also have the main restrictors,& I also run 20/50 oil,or I would have next to no oil pressure.I knew this even before the engine was built.This was the plan.The Olds cranks have large journals,& they need volume,not so much pressure.At start-up,my pressure is between 50-60psi.Once it gets to peak temp,180*,it drops to 15psi at idle,& about 40psi cruising down the road.This engine was built in 1998,& I still have not seen any signs of problems.The oil is always good when it comes out.No shrapnel.If you could find out exactly what your bearing clearances are,that would be a big help.It should have been documented.I have a sheet for mine,listing the clearances for each rod & main bearing.
Old May 6th, 2010, 10:58 AM

If the oil pressure measured at the port on the front "shelf" is low, you have a problem because it means the main bearing feed galleys are at low pressure, where the pressure should be highest. Race engines are special situations, as Brian outlined.