eBay stainless headers BBO 1964 cutlass. Anyone used them

Search this Thread

Old June 1st, 2022, 11:02 AM

eBay stainless headers BBO 1964 cutlass. Anyone used them

Thinking about trying them out to replace my old banged up headman’s.

has anyone tried the $200 eBay specials? How did the install go? I have a mini starter and it’s an automatic car.
Old June 1st, 2022, 09:00 PM

I have a 64 F85 with a 455 and a turbo 400. The guy that I bought the car from said he got the polished SS headers from eBay. I don’t know who he got them from but the fit and quality seems very good. They have a very heavy flange and don’t rub against anything. I’ve had them for about four years now, and haven’t had any issues with them. I also have a mini starter. I use a Napa gold short oil filter #1258. Hope this helps.
Old June 2nd, 2022, 01:45 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I ordered some to see how they fit.
Old June 3rd, 2022, 04:36 AM

link to these?
Old June 3rd, 2022, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by New2oldsw30
link to these?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/30351918957...7f4%7Ciid%3A11
Old June 3rd, 2022, 08:14 AM

I purchased some of them and they fit just fine and were really good quality. These are the ones I got. https://www.ebay.com/itm/382447780124 They did arrive with a dent and I accepted a $50 refund.

Steve
Old June 4th, 2022, 04:46 AM

any pictures of them installed. How low do they hang?
Old June 4th, 2022, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by ben442
any pictures of them installed. How low do they hang?
There are pictures of them installed on a small block on this board, or were posted here. Do a search. Now, with that said the will be similar to any other header on clearance, and are pattern copies it seems of Hooker Headers. They look really nice, so buy them. Buy 2 sets if you also want some nice wall art
Old June 4th, 2022, 04:32 PM

No not installed yet they are still being shipped.

the headers on my ‘64 were beat to perfection with a hammer by the prior owner and fit when I had an SBO. Anyone who has a ‘64-‘67 knows how hard getting headers is for SBO. These were already pre-beat and fit SBO but I kept them until now for BBO. Time to move on.

Last edited by VinMichael; June 4th, 2022 at 04:34 PM.
Old June 4th, 2022, 04:57 PM

I would like to point out most headers have their share of dents and bangs, and it doesn't hurt the power they produce. Being shiny stainless it still should look shiny. They will change from shiny when run anyway after awhile, but can be polished back to shiny. Expect a struggle getting any headers on anything, and appreciate anytime its not that bad.
Old June 4th, 2022, 05:00 PM

No hammering to fit on my set. Also six and one half inches ground clearance with what appears to be stock ride height.
Old June 4th, 2022, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Tj Pal
No hammering to fit on my set. Also six and one half inches ground clearance with what appears to be stock ride height.
Good
Old June 4th, 2022, 05:19 PM

TJ…what did you go with?
Old June 4th, 2022, 06:34 PM

They were on the car when I bought it. The guy that I bought the car from said they were eBay headers. I wish that I would have asked him who he got them from but I didn’t, dumb on my part.
Old June 5th, 2022, 09:59 PM

I have a pair of the non-stainless ebay headers on my 67 with a 350 block. I needed to dent tune the driver side to clear the motor mount and the mini starter electrical connections. I added a homemade O2 sensor bung and the collector wall seemed to be thick enough to last a while. They only hung down maybe 1 1/2 inch below the crossmember so on a big block that shouldn't be as much of a problem. Here's a pic from the front. However much taller the big blocks are is how much shorter the headers will be.

Last edited by cjsdad; June 5th, 2022 at 10:06 PM.
Old June 6th, 2022, 04:56 AM

ebay headers

I put a set on a 69 cutlass 455 automatic fit very nice , tried them on my 67 cutlass 455 automatic no go

Last edited by oldaman; June 6th, 2022 at 04:58 AM. Reason: add headers were ss
Old June 6th, 2022, 04:19 PM

I took a chance on the Ebay cheap headers. Fit perfect on my 70 442. No adjustments needed.

Old June 7th, 2022, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by oldguy442
I took a chance on the Ebay cheap headers. Fit perfect on my 70 442. No adjustments needed.

I would say those headers gives whoever buys them bragging rights on looks, and at a price (with free shipping) so low it's like you stole them. This was true 10 years ago, let alone with all the inflation since then including on shipping.

A quick easy chart on air flow

https://www.exhaustvideos.com/faq/ho...pipe-diameter/

And a reminder that mufflers are the main choke point on flow, and generally only flow about 70% of the same open pipe size.
Old June 7th, 2022, 10:03 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

I bought a set for the reasons above. Someone on another site didn't like the dent in the collector for shift linkage clearance, super minor IMHO. I plan get these in my 70S in the next month or so. I am going all Stainless to the tail pipes, including dual 2.5" cats. I also just installed the Chinese Stainless copy of the direct replacement shorty header for the 5.2/5.9 Magnum on my Dakota. They fit and look really good so far, after some run time.
Old June 7th, 2022, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by oldaman
I put a set on a 69 cutlass 455 automatic fit very nice , tried them on my 67 cutlass 455 automatic no go
where did you find problems installing on your 67 with a 455?
Old June 7th, 2022, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Firewalker
I would say those headers gives whoever buys them bragging rights on looks, and at a price (with free shipping) so low it's like you stole them. This was true 10 years ago, let alone with all the inflation since then including on shipping.

A quick easy chart on air flow

https://www.exhaustvideos.com/faq/ho...pipe-diameter/

And a reminder that mufflers are the main choke point on flow, and generally only flow about 70% of the same open pipe size.
what are your thoughts on installing a 18” header collector extension with a removable “cutout” plate at the end and keeping the rest of the exhaust system.

is this effective in gaining back the 70% when desired
Old June 7th, 2022, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by VinMichael
what are your thoughts on installing a 18” header collector extension with a removable “cutout” plate at the end and keeping the rest of the exhaust system.

The exhaust has to be going in a straight line, to really work well. "Cutouts" have been around as long as I have, that open 45-90 degrees to the exhaust pipes, but much like H pipes they have a problem at higher flowing rpms. The don't add power at high revs. Good for lower slower speeds, but not higher.

It you run the gases into a dead end like with the extension that would cause turbulence and restricting flow even further would be my guess. Now using the 18" extension, and then reducing it down for the mufflers might help, since the exhaust is still going straight and you have added a lot of extra volume for the gases to go into.

The only other way I can think the extension would work we is putting a cutout on its end, and then y ing off a pipe for the muffler system off of the extension. But that would make the system loud when the cutouts were opened up.

Another way around the mufflers restriction would be mufflers in parallel. Side by side mufflers off a Y pipe I would think would work. BTR did that on his street 442 many decades back now tucked away behind his rear bumper. Big mufflers generally flow better than small ones, since their is more space in them so less restriction.

Old June 7th, 2022, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by Firewalker
The exhaust has to be going in a straight line, to really work well. "Cutouts" have been around as long as I have, that open 45-90 degrees to the exhaust pipes, but much like H pipes they have a problem at higher flowing rpms. The don't add power at high revs. Good for lower slower speeds, but not higher.

It you run the gases into a dead end like with the extension that would cause turbulence and restricting flow even further would be my guess. Now using the 18" extension, and then reducing it down for the mufflers might help, since the exhaust is still going straight and you have added a lot of extra volume for the gases to go into.

The only other way I can think the extension would work we is putting a cutout on its end, and then y ing off a pipe for the muffler system off of the extension. But that would make the system loud when the cutouts were opened up.

Another way around the mufflers restriction would be mufflers in parallel. Side by side mufflers off a Y pipe I would think would work. BTR did that on his street 442 many decades back now tucked away behind his rear bumper. Big mufflers generally flow better than small ones, since their is more space in them so less restriction.
I had been thinking a 3” header extension with a cutout at the end coupled into a 2.25” exhaust would be very effective. By virtue of the coupler being much more restrictive that the cutout. Even at high speeds the exhaust would avoid going into 2.25” and exit the path of least resistance. But maybe it’s nonsense like you say because the header extension needs a straight shot out. Not 45 or 90 degrees inline with the rest of the exhaust to the mufflers
Old June 11th, 2022, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by oldguy442

Thanks, this looks nice and clean. I'm going to do a 3" systems with Super Turbos to keep the sound in check., but tail pipe with drop back to 2.5" to make it easier to get around the back and to the tips.
Old June 11th, 2022, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by cjsdad
I have a pair of the non-stainless ebay headers on my 67 with a 350 block. I needed to dent tune the driver side to clear the motor mount and the mini starter electrical connections. I added a homemade O2 sensor bung and the collector wall seemed to be thick enough to last a while. They only hung down maybe 1 1/2 inch below the crossmember so on a big block that shouldn't be as much of a problem. Here's a pic from the front. However much taller the big blocks are is how much shorter the headers will be.
Here's some Hookers on my '72 VC, 455 5-speed. Nope. Drop spindles have to go, but I don't think that will make enough ground clearance. Collector flanges are welded. Duh..

Last edited by oletrux; June 11th, 2022 at 05:36 AM.
Old June 11th, 2022, 09:19 AM

Walker Quiet Flow (walker 22100), with 2 1/2 in and out, with a case length of 28 inches is the best turbo muffler, in my view for 2 1/2". It's the biggest case at 28 inches, which should be good for flow. Turbo mufflers in general will get a little louder over the years, from what they were when new.

Amazon Amazon

Here is an article on the subject of mufflers
https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/0505phr-exh/
Old June 22nd, 2022, 11:57 AM

Sadly, I went to order these and there SOLD OUT at the moment. I think I would like these to replace my crustys on the car. BUT really don't need till fall as that's when engine is coming out anyway.

Old June 22nd, 2022, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by New2oldsw30
Sadly, I went to order these and there SOLD OUT at the moment. I think I would like these to replace my crustys on the car. BUT really don't need till fall as that's when engine is coming out anyway.

You mean these??

https://www.ebay.com/itm/26571008108...3ABFBMjKLgzbFg
Old June 22nd, 2022, 03:39 PM

I just said F'it and bought a set. The way things are going, I might not have another chance .
Old June 22nd, 2022, 04:48 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

There are multiple sellers on Ebay. Just pick the cheapest price with shipping.
Old June 22nd, 2022, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by olds 307 and 403
There are multiple sellers on Ebay. Just pick the cheapest price with shipping.
There were multiple sellers, just a few weeks ago, but when I did a search today I only found a couple of them. Yikes.
Old June 22nd, 2022, 05:07 PM

This is the seller and the headers I purchased back in August.
Old June 22nd, 2022, 05:22 PM

Can't open
Old June 22nd, 2022, 05:41 PM

Mine are for sale. Hooker titanium. Went to the shortys.
Old June 24th, 2022, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by VinMichael

Check out the latest Engine Masters episode. They do exactly what you mentioned, and with the cut out opens it made almost the exact same power through the full RPM range and headers with an 18" extension. This was on a BBC with 3" exhaust.
Old June 24th, 2022, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Mr Nick
Check out the latest Engine Masters episode. They do exactly what you mentioned, and with the cut out opens it made almost the exact same power through the full RPM range and headers with an 18" extension. This was on a BBC with 3" exhaust.
Post the link I want to see this. But if you are talking a cut out open at the end of the extension that is no longer a muffled system. Still I would like to see the results. In my mind the real trick is full power and with no noise whatsoever from the exhaust, or what I think of as silent but deadly.

It may have something to do with my past history, as the first car I outran in a safe street race at the age of 15 had cutouts open, a cam (it thumped), and 411 gears with a 3 speed with overdrive, and I outran him with my oem muffled car. He had a 265 and I had a 283 powerglide. He made several mistakes, like spinning bad off the line and then he failed to shift into overdrive and that allowed me to scream past him on the far end (I was still in low gear). Beginners LOL
Old June 24th, 2022, 05:51 PM

You need to subscribe to Motortrend on demand. https://www.motortrendondemand.com/s...e-masters/645/ You can get it via Ruku, or Amazon Prime etc...

I'm going to watch it again, it was very interesting. I can post their general results if you'd like.
Old June 25th, 2022, 12:34 AM

You need to subscribe to Motortrend on demand. https://www.motortrendondemand.com/s...e-masters/645/ You can get it via Ruku, or Amazon Prime etc...

I'm going to watch it again, it was very interesting. I can post their general results if you'd like.
I watched most of them long ago when they were free and enjoyed them, but could you tell me which episode.
Old June 26th, 2022, 06:13 PM

Season 7, Episode 118
Old June 28th, 2022, 09:50 PM

Great timing now I can justify my MotorTrend subscription which I haven’t watched and have been paying for two years. I can move forward with plan for my headers, extension, and exhaust cutout.

Thank you for the heads up

Quick Reply: eBay stainless headers BBO 1964 cutlass. Anyone used them