394 fuel filter

Search this Thread

Old April 29th, 2017, 01:59 PM

394 fuel filter

The filter on the left is the one that was in the car, and the filter on the right is what I was able to order as supposedly correct. Wix 33039. I wish the new one was the larger diameter of the original, but as long as the Oring seats I guess it is ok

What surprises me, and the reason I am asking, is that the original has a hole in the bottom. The new one doesn't. Was the old one even filtering? Couldn't the gas just go up the hole and by bypass the filter that way? Or I don't know maybe the new one won't allow enough gas by. This is tomorrow's project so if someone could give me the ok about using the one on the right, I would appreciate it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_4463.JPG (3.20 MB, 33 views)
Old May 18th, 2017, 05:43 AM

I know how it goes with oldies, parts become unavailable and get superseded by something else that's close enough.
Just thought I would push this back up, as I'm curious for future reference. What's the deal with the "old" filter, on the left...
Am I missing something, or did the hole in the bottom allow unfiltered gas to go right up and out? The one on the right is correct or did I buy the wrong thing?
Old May 18th, 2017, 05:55 AM

Dan, does the hole in the bottom of the filter on the left go all the way through? If so, then it probably wasn't filtering properly. As I recall, doesn't the filter on a 394 fit inside of a glass bowl on the fuel pump? Does the black plastic "top" of the filter seal with the o-ring against the fuel pump body? If so, I would use the one on the right. It would force the fuel to travel through the filter medium before being pumped to the carburetor.

Sorry I can't be more help. I don't remember much about the 64 98 that I had. I do remember that I put a switched 12V pusher fuel pump on the frame by the gas tank though. I had 2 mechanical fuel pumps and couldn't piece together a good one between them. This is before I was a regular on the site.
Old May 18th, 2017, 06:13 AM

I think the filter you want is Wix 33034.
Old May 18th, 2017, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by Olds64
Dan, does the hole in the bottom of the filter on the left go all the way through? If so, then it probably wasn't filtering properly. As I recall, doesn't the filter on a 394 fit inside of a glass bowl on the fuel pump? Does the black plastic "top" of the filter seal with the o-ring against the fuel pump body?

It goes all the way through , and that was my thought exactly.
We've all been here, the parts guy says it fits, but it's a different looking part.
Usually I use the part I'm removing as a guide to the "correctness" of the new part. but in this case I think the old one may have been wrong.
Old May 18th, 2017, 06:21 AM

You posted the thread in April. Did you end up using the filter on the right? If you're still running the old one just swap to the new one and do a quick test drive. If the new one is too restrictive the worst it would do is give you an off idle stumble or something... you could always change back to the old one or put a generic in-line filter in if the new one is no good.
Old May 18th, 2017, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by MichiDan
I know how it goes with oldies, parts become unavailable and get superseded by something else that's close enough.
Just thought I would push this back up, as I'm curious for future reference. What's the deal with the "old" filter, on the left...
Am I missing something, or did the hole in the bottom allow unfiltered gas to go right up and out? The one on the right is correct or did I buy the wrong thing?
I believe the filter works like this:
- fuel would flow through the hole into the bowl
- it would then flow through the paper element on it's way to the engine

Again, I think Wix 33034 is what you want.
Old May 18th, 2017, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by Happy Trails
I think the filter you want is Wix 33034.
A-ha. That one does look like the one I took off.
33039 - that does not have a hole in the bottom - is the one that Rock Auto says is correct for the car.

33039 fits on the shaft and it isn't leaking. But I have taken any long test drives because of my alternator problem.
Old May 18th, 2017, 08:00 AM

I started this thread as "394 fuel filter". I assumed they were all the same fuel pump. Maybe a bad assumption.

Besides Rock auto, the Napa and O'Riley websites list Wix 33039 (no bottom hole) as the correct filter for 1964 Starfire. (autozone, pepboys and advance auto only list generic crap.)

Even the Wix site itself says that 33039 (no hole) is correct for 63-64 Olds V8.
33034 (with hole) is listed as correct for Olds V8 all 1949-1962. As well as a ton of other applications.

Based on that I think the P.O. had the incorrect, older filter on here. I haven't seen a pre-63 fuel pump but it must be different eh?