Alternator Amperage ?

Search this Thread

Old August 27th, 2011, 07:51 PM

Alternator Amperage ?

I want to purchase a chrome plated alternator for my 1972 Olds Cutlass 442 but I don't know how many Amps it is. The one I'm looking to purchase states it's 120Amps. That sounds high. Can anyone help me with this? Thanks
Old August 27th, 2011, 08:08 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

High is good.

If you want a chrome alternator, that sounds fine.

- Eric
Old August 27th, 2011, 10:58 PM

The alternator is RATED at 120A max output. It will only provide what is drawn upon it so don't worry about it being larger than what came in the car.
Old August 28th, 2011, 08:56 PM

I believe the stock alternator on a midsize GM puts out about 55amps, and some units go up to 85 amps for limos and cars that draw more current. Units from the early 80's had the amp rating stamped on the case.
Old August 29th, 2011, 01:51 PM

Thanks guys for the info.

Eric - you said "If Chrome is what I want"......... Is there another choice? I mean, my engine compartment is not show worthy & is not original. I have after market Air Cleaner, Edelbrock Carb, Aftermarket Chrome Valve Covers to begin with. My existing Alternator is all Oxydized & looks like ***** that's why I'm thinking Chrome. Any other choices, let me know. Thanks
Old September 1st, 2011, 08:36 AM

I put a 100 amp chrome alternator in my 1970 cutlass supreme. It is a 1 wire alternator which didnt cost as much as the others do. Here is a picture of it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P8160418.jpg (83.1 KB, 92 views)
Old September 1st, 2011, 09:03 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by OLZ442
Eric - you said "If Chrome is what I want"......... Is there another choice? I mean, my engine compartment is not show worthy & is not original. I have after market Air Cleaner, Edelbrock Carb, Aftermarket Chrome Valve Covers to begin with. My existing Alternator is all Oxydized & looks like ***** that's why I'm thinking Chrome. Any other choices, let me know. Thanks
Sorry for the delay...

I mean, some people like chrome, and others don't.

Personally, I think it looks gaudy, and makes your engine compartment look like the sketch in the back of a sixth grader's math notebook, but we've all got different tastes.

If I were getting one, I'd go down to the junkyard and buy one, clean the outside, maybe bead blast it if I was feeling obsessive, and use that.
Alternately, I'd pick one up at the local auto parts store in clean, bare aluminum.
If the idea of the aluminum dulling over time bothers you, you could clear coat it, or you could paint it with "aluminum" color paint, or with any other color paint, for that matter.

Either way, no big deal, but I wouldn't pay extra for something that'll just be one more thing I have to clean all the time (and you'll be amazed at how fast that chrome starts to look dirty.

- Eric
Old September 1st, 2011, 09:39 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by MDchanic
................I mean, some people like chrome, and others don't. Personally, I think it looks gaudy, and makes your engine compartment look like the sketch in the back of a sixth grader's math notebook, but we've all got different tastes.- Eric
Chrome usually takes a lot more work to keep clean too, and in the engine bay it's subjected to a lot of heat as well. Eric makes a valid point that you will likely pay more just for the bling. Your call. How many amps do you really need? Is the car highly optioned? Just at a glance there are tons of alts (new reman) available for reasonable prices. ex: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Uni-BRACKET-1...item27b27753ac O'Reilly's has them starting at 40.00 http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/se...***&vi=1217461

Although I'm not a big fan of chrome engine parts, it can look nice. Then again, I'm not a real huge fan of pink cars...
Old September 1st, 2011, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by OLZ442
Thanks guys for the info.

I took my original 1970 35 Amp alternator and converted it to an 100 amp. Installed new diodes, bearings, and stator. Painted it up and it looks good enough for the girls I date. Parts are readily available on ebay and there is a member on this site that sells parts for our alternators.

d1
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
alternator.jpg (90.4 KB, 67 views)

Last edited by defiant1; September 1st, 2011 at 10:41 AM.
Old September 1st, 2011, 10:47 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Allan R
Although I'm not a big fan of chrome engine parts, it can look nice. Then again, I'm not a real huge fan of pink cars...
Hrumph.

This car is a sort of a tribute to my first Olds, a '70 Culass convertible, which was painted pink with a roller (photo in my gallery), and which cost me exactly $0.00.

Besides, I "bought it for my wife" :wink: :wink: and she likes pink.

- Eric

Oh, and there has been some discussion here about those one-wire alternators - seems they don't charge well at idle.
Just get the right one for your car (plus a few dozen amps for your modern electrical equipment).
Old September 1st, 2011, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by defiant1
I took my original 1970 35 Amp alternator and converted it to an 100 amp. Installed new diodes, bearings, and stator. Painted it up and it looks good enough for the girls I date. Parts are readily available on ebay and there is a member on this site that sells parts for our alternators.

d1
I wonder who that would be? If he has the internal alt a good way to go would be a stock delco 12SI 94 amp alt. Available at a local parts store 1984 olds cierra 3.8 The only change needed will be metric hardware-nut for post and bolt for adjustment. If it goes bad he can change it and be running the same day, not to mention they probably give a lifetime guarantee.
Old September 1st, 2011, 12:00 PM

Alright guys, my question was answered. (See original post for question asked). Now I have to decide if I want chrome or paint. My alternator charges fine, I'm thinking about changing it because of how ugly it looks all oxidized. Thanks for your help.