Wheels and Tires Sponsored by Tire Rack
Click Here

Question about wheels, '78 Toronado

Search this Thread

Old September 3rd, 2017, 07:58 AM

Question about wheels, '78 Toronado

The first photo below is of one of the wheels currently on the car. All four are rusty around the edges like in the photo, so I was on the lookout for replacements. I found some Toronado wheels at the recent OCA Nationals in Albuquerque. One of the those is shown in the second photo.

I'm finally getting around to working with these, and I've discovered that the ones I bought are not exactly the same. They're 15-inch, and they do fit on the car, but the diameter of the "sculpted" part with the semi-oval openings in it is smaller. The location of the valve stem opening is different, too. Also, the full wheel covers that also came with my car do not fit. I did get beauty rings for the new wheels, so if I use the new wheels, I can use those along with the smaller, hub covering wheelcovers that also came with the car and that actually fit on both styles of rim. That would give the car a nice look, I think.

As I say, they fit on the car, so does that mean I'm ok in using them? I don't see why not, but I thought I'd ask. Thanks.

Old September 3rd, 2017, 04:11 PM

It might be my eyes... but it looks to me like the center hole is larger on the replacement wheel. Does it fit tight around the center of the hub? You said it fits, that's over the disc calipers right? I'm pretty sure some of the early wheels (1966 only?) won't fit on disc brakes. John
Old September 3rd, 2017, 05:10 PM
Olds Fever

From the photos, it would appear one wheel would have more brake clearance then the other... But as long as they rotate without interference with the calipers, I don't see why you would have a problem...
Old September 3rd, 2017, 07:58 PM

Thanks for the input, everyone.

The center hole is the same size on both at exactly 3 inches. The wheel in question did fit fully on the front hub, and I was able to tighten down the lug nuts. It does fit cleanly over the brake calipers, with less clearance, but I wouldn't anticipate a problem.

It occurred to me that I might have taken a photo or two of the wheels on Toros at the recent nationals in Albuquerque (I take pictures of everything), and it turns out I did.

Here's the wheel on a '66 Toro, and it looks just like the wheels I purchased there. The trim ring is present, and the diameter of the part that fits over the brake drum is the smaller size with a gap between it and the trim ring. The center cover that says OLDSMOBILE on it is the exact style that I have.

So it appears that the wheels I bought in ABQ are from an early Toronado as John (2blu) said.

Here's the front wheel on a '77 Toro at the nationals. I have those same full wheelcovers, and this is the look I'd get if I kept the wheels currently on the car. Yes, the full wheelcovers cover the whole wheel, so I wouldn't see the rust. I just thought it'd be nice to have wheels that aren't rusty.