Wheels and Tires Sponsored by Tire Rack
Click Here

What size are my rims

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2014, 06:06 PM

What size are my rims

I'm looking for new rims for my 72 cutlass and I'm wondering what measurements I need so that it will fit over my hub and fit all the studs right?
Thanks clay
Old May 8th, 2014, 06:20 PM

The bolt pattern is 5 x 4.75 and factory rims are 14x6, 14x7 and 15x7. The only worries you will have is if you are looking at 14" or 15" rims as they may not clear your brakes but you are probably looking to go bigger. You will also need to know the offset and backspacing of the rims you are looking to buy to determine if they will fit in your wheel wells and if any issues with rubbing. If you search there are some threads on measuring and understanding the other measurements.
Old May 8th, 2014, 07:40 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Anything equal to or bigger than 14x7 or 15x7 will work if you have disc brakes.
Old May 9th, 2014, 07:20 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Allan R
Anything equal to or bigger than 14x7 or 15x7 will work if you have disc brakes.
Let's back up. First, in addition to diameter, width, and bolt pattern, you need to care about offset. You want near zero offset. This is not the same thing as backspacing. There are a lot of diagrams on the web that explain these dimensions. You don't want FWD wheels with a lot of positive offset. These will NOT fit properly.

Second, any 14" wheel made since about 1972 with the correct offset will clear factory disc brakes on an A-body. Clearance is only an issue if you are using 1960s factory drum-only wheels, or similar vintage aftermarket wheels.
Old May 9th, 2014, 08:33 AM

I've got a decet understanding about offset an backspacing I just dont want to end up buying the wrong rims, I have rear drums on it so I assume that after I go to a certain diameter rim it should clear no problem right?
Old May 9th, 2014, 08:45 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by cutlassclay
I've got a decet understanding about offset an backspacing I just dont want to end up buying the wrong rims, I have rear drums on it so I assume that after I go to a certain diameter rim it should clear no problem right?
From above:

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
...any 14" wheel made since about 1972 with the correct offset will clear factory disc brakes on an A-body. Clearance is only an issue if you are using 1960s factory drum-only wheels, or similar vintage aftermarket wheels.
Old May 9th, 2014, 08:47 AM
Beer Connoisseur

What size are you thinking about getting? Usually the drums on the rear are not the problem it's the front disc brakes. If you want to stay near stock, 15" rims are safe option as they will clear the stock size disc brakes. Also 15" wheels have a bigger selection of tires than 14".
Old May 9th, 2014, 09:03 AM

I see now thanks... I was thinking 15 or 16x9 to fit a 255 or 265
Old May 9th, 2014, 10:05 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by cutlassclay
I'm looking for new rims for my 72 cutlass and I'm wondering what measurements I need so that it will fit over my hub and fit all the studs right?
Thanks clay
Let's back up. ..any 14" wheel made since about 1972 with the correct offset will clear factory disc brakes on an A-body.
So what's there to 'back up' on??? The info I gave him is correct for his 72 Cutlass. Offset on these wheels was standard for the day, so why complicate things? Why introduce FWD into the equation when it's not relevant?

Originally Posted by 70cutty
What size are you thinking about getting? Usually the drums on the rear are not the problem it's the front disc brakes. If you want to stay near stock, 15" rims are safe option as they will clear the stock size disc brakes. Also 15" wheels have a bigger selection of tires than 14".
Good explanation on clearances. BOTH 14x7 and 15x7" rims will give necessary clearance for stock disc brakes. The 15" wheels are somewhat less available in some designs. 15" rubber is more plentiful, but 14" is by no means extinct.
Old May 9th, 2014, 10:11 AM
Old(s) Fart

So what's there to 'back up' on??? The info I gave him is correct for his 72 Cutlass. Offset on these wheels was standard for the day, so why complicate things? Why introduce FWD into the equation when it's not relevant?
Well, the OP didn't indicate if he was looking for factory or aftermarket wheels, and there are MANY more aftermarket FWD wheels today than RWD wheels (unfortunately). Also, 14x7 aren't the only 14" wheels that clear factory disks. The 14x6 SSII wheels came on factory disk cars in 1968-69, for example. I'd be willing to bet that most 1967-72 A-bodies with disk brakes came from the factory with 14" wheels.
Old May 9th, 2014, 10:50 AM
Just an Olds Guy

... Also, 14x7 aren't the only 14" wheels that clear factory disks. The 14x6 SSII wheels came on factory disk cars in 1968-69, for example. I'd be willing to bet that most 1967-72 A-bodies with disk brakes came from the factory with 14" wheels.
??? What's your point? I said 14x7 or 15x7's fit factory disc brake applications. (very easily too BTW) You're targeting isolated applications - going backwards to trying to find the smallest wheel that would fit a 68-69 with disc brakes.

For the record I'd agree that the vast majority of 72 or earlier cars equipped with factory disc brakes did have 14" wheels. That was pretty much the standard wheel size back then, but the majority of those cars also came with drum brakes, making the 14x6" wheel the more common size.

cutlassclay - Stock 14x7" or stock 15x7" GM wheels will be a straight bolt on to your car. If you choose to go with an after market rim, check with the manufacturers application guide to see if it will be right for your car. Most shops will let you see the wheel on the car without bolting it up to determine if the look and offset will work for you.

Keep in mind that if you go with larger rims (16,17, 18" and rubber combinations) you may need to change your speedometer gear to get the right speed reading. The speedo gear is based on overall tire/wheel height and rear end gearing. Good luck with your project.
Old May 9th, 2014, 11:11 AM
Old(s) Fart

??? What's your point? I said 14x7 or 15x7's fit factory disc brake applications. (very easily too BTW) You're targeting isolated applications - going backwards to trying to find the smallest wheel that would fit a 68-69 with disc brakes.
No, I'm merely trying to point out to the OP (and anyone else trying to learn) that those aren't the only wheel sizes that clear factory disks. Your post could be read as implying that, even though you didn't intend it, I'm sure.

It might be time to back off on the caffeine a little...
Old May 9th, 2014, 11:19 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Caffeine is for those who haven't met the Captain yet..Helluva guy...

Old May 9th, 2014, 11:20 AM

Joe time to go work off the caffeine on one of your long list of Olds projects/drivers. :-)