Wheels and Tires Sponsored by Tire Rack
Click Here

Rallye wheel snap on center cap is loose

Search this Thread

Old June 28th, 2013, 06:32 PM

Rallye wheel snap on center cap is loose

Hey guys, my front drivers side center cap is fairly loose, to the point that when driving at low speed with the window down I can hear it jiggling around, this is the exact style I have...

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wvi-2024-1

A reproduction one is expensive, and the cap is in good condition other than this, I'm just curious how to 1, remove the thing without making it worse or breaking something, and 2, how to get the thing on their tighter in the mean time until I can find a used one kicking around or whatever.

Thanks in advance, haha.
Old June 28th, 2013, 06:46 PM

You probably can pull it off and bend out the little prongs on the inside to tighten them up, unless they're really rusted/weak then you'll need to find another cap. They're out ther cheap unless youwant really nice ones-then expensive...
Old June 28th, 2013, 06:49 PM

You can replace just the inside prong ring if it's needed with a used one off a used cap-held on w/screws.
Old June 28th, 2013, 10:55 PM

Pull it off and look closely at your wheel. Many years ago I had a 1976 442 that made that sound. When I pulled off the center cap I could see that the spring clips had actually worn notches in the wheel. I'm guessing they had been wobbling for a very long time. John
Old June 29th, 2013, 07:09 AM
Old(s) Fart

As noted, the caps just snap off (and on, hence the term "snap on center caps"). The looseness can be caused either by bent/worn tabs, as noted above, or the whole retainer ring with the tabs can be loose from the center cap on the inside. Pull the cap off and look.
Old April 6th, 2014, 05:37 PM

Thanks for the help guys, sorry for the late reply, I've been out of work and the car has been off the road but now the weather is getting decent again and I've got my life moving in a more positive direction.

I tried to tighten it back up but the whole thing came loose and went flying down the road and I lost it, does anybody have one they wouldn't mind parting with for cheap? The repro ones are super expensive for what they are, it doesn't have to be immaculate just reasonable, anything looks better than it missing.