Wheels and Tires Sponsored by Tire Rack
Click Here

need help with lug nuts

Search this Thread

Old February 4th, 2013, 07:58 AM
Certified Car Crazy

Question need help with lug nuts

I just picked up a set of the old American Racing ar-52 Gamblers.. Look like the Centerline Champ 500s... Here is a pic...
http://www.yotatech.com/f177/do-you-...-these-245021/.. scroll down to the 6th post and there is a better pic..
These aren't my actual wheels, but the same.

I can't find any info on these wheels because they are discountinued.. Wondering if anyone here would know what type lug nut to use with these.. My 78 Cutlass has 7/16-20 studs.. I currently have Cragar SS with the Mag shank lugs so I can't reuse them and they dont fit in the holes anyway.. It looks like where the lugs go, there is an angled/beveled recess.. Do they use Acorn lugs? Or Bulge seat lugs? I wanna make sure I get the correct ones.. (Are acorn & bulge the same)

The guy I got the wheels off of, had the lugs, but I had no more cash on me. They looked like these, http://www.newstalgiawheel.com/accessory_detail.asp?subcat2=5011&subcat3=5011106. .
So I ordered a set..

But a guy I work with told me I need a special washer to use on these wheels.. I thought that was just on uni-lug wheels.. These definitely are not uni-lug..

What do you think?

thanks

Last edited by speedaddict78; February 4th, 2013 at 08:02 AM.
Old February 4th, 2013, 09:12 AM

I had the same wheels on a CJ 7 the lug nuts you have pictured appear to be correct,
1 major saftey concern is the conical seat angle of the lugnut where it bolts up to the wheel I would confirm that beforehand.do you have any AR wheel dealer around that could confirm for you ??
I had regular acorn type lug nuts and I used a narrow wall socket to tighten them down,the wheels are not unilug..post some pics after you get them on should look good
Old February 4th, 2013, 10:08 AM
Old(s) Fart

The question is, do the wheels have a steel tapered insert at each lug hole or not. If not, you need a regular aluminum mag washer, not a unilug washer. This is just to prevent damage to the aluminum wheel from the steel lug nut. Be sure the shank lugs are the correct length to come nearly flush to the backside of the wheel when the washers are installed. If too much of the stud is unsupported, they can break.
Old February 4th, 2013, 10:14 AM
delete

I used to sell those when they were new & an acorn or a conical seat is fine.
Old February 4th, 2013, 04:41 PM

I have AR-39's on mine.

I think most of the AR "Muscle car" type rims used 60* Acorn nuts, that's what I have on mine