Wheels and Tires Sponsored by Tire Rack
Click Here

Delux hubcaps

Search this Thread

Old November 28th, 2023, 06:54 PM
Art S

Delux hubcaps

Since owning my 1961 Super 88 I have been having trouble with the tires rubbing in certain scenarios. I've replaced front end parts, shocks etc but the problem remains. It has AR Torque Thrush polished aluminum rims 15"x7.0" with P235/75/R15 tires narrow white wall. I really love the look of the Delux Turbine hubcaps that are mostly found on the Starfires and have finally found a nice set for a very reasonable price. The ebay seller advertised them as being for 15" rims but when I compared them after getting them I realize they belong on 14" rims. While I was waiting for them to be shipped I found a used set of 15" steelies form Craigs list but now have to return them and the guy I purchased them from said he has some 14" laying around on his property that I can swap them for. I wasn't certain about the measurement for the 5/5 bolt pattern and to be sure I get the correct rims when I go back I tried the 15" spare tire which is a period steelie that has the same dimension tire on it as the others. I can just about get my fingers between sidewall of the tire and the inside of the wheel well with the Thrush rim/tire but I can get my whole flat palm in there with the spare. The back space measures to be the same on both rims and the overall width measures the same so I'm a little confused why one is tight and the other is not?
I ordered the clips from Fusick and should have them in a few days so I will be able to test fit the hubcaps on the 14" rims when I go back. I found some information about rims and tires in a news letter that was put together from some Oldsmobile owners. In it was discussed about not using the older rims with radial tires and to get the new type of rims. This is where I could use a little advise from people who have experience with these hubcaps. What and where can I get a set of newer style rims? Will the hubcaps mount on the newer style rims? Will the hubcaps mount on steelies from other manufacturers (some of the Craigs list guy's rims are Ford)? If these rims don't work out is there anyone of you have any available?
I found on the web someone that gave instructions on how to mount the hubcaps but I couldn't really understand the instructions.
I was planning on getting the extra wide white walls only in a smaller size anyway before I ran into the hubcaps. My truck needs tires so I'll use the 15's on that and get a new set of 14's for the Olds. Any recommendation on size for the 14's?

1961 Deluxe Turbine Hubcap
As advertised

1st one all cleaned up.

Old December 8th, 2023, 10:54 AM
Art S

The guy I got the 15" rims from didn't have any 14"s but I found a set of 14" steelies that had came off a1963 Starfire from a member of the Oldsmobile Starfire Group on facebook. Paid $200 for them and they had been bead blasted and painted and look really good.
I received the clips from Fusick and they came with an illustrated instruction paper. The clips have to be hammered onto the lip of the rim. Do any of you know when I get tires and go to get them mounted should the clips already be attached? I'm afraid to bang the clips on after the tires are already on the rims in case I miss and hit the whitewall with the hammer.
I'm going to go with wide whitewall but can't seem to judge how thick the whitewall is from the pictures I've seen. Do any of you know what size tire would be the best fit?

One of the caps had some bad road rash on the high step ring and bang and scrapes around the edges. I had to take a file to the ring and surprised me how deep I could go before some of the copper started showing through. Now it looks like light scratches and you'd have to get really close to see them. I got rid of the dents and gouges on the outside edge too. I'm changing the color to lavender to match the carpet.

Before:

This is the final result:

Last edited by Supernice88; December 8th, 2023 at 02:43 PM. Reason: add photo
Old December 9th, 2023, 09:17 AM

Nice job on the hubcaps, they look great. The 2" whitewall in 61 was only available on the Starfire that year. The correct tires for your car would have a 1" white wall and only bias-ply tires were available that year. For my cars (62/63) with the clip type hubcaps I'm using the BFG 225/70/14 radial tires and getting the raised lettering buffed off to create a white wall an inch wide. The 235/75/14 from Cocker tires will be to wide for the clip on hubcaps and the edge will cut the sidewalls, a 235/75/14 bias ply tire ( H78/14 I believe) will not compress on the sidewall enough to cut.
Old December 9th, 2023, 04:36 PM
Art S

Thanks for the reply and compliment on the cap. I appreciate the information about the tires. Do you know if the clips go on the rim before or after the tire?
Are you buffing the lettered tires to save from the cost of Cocker tires?
I've seen some videos of it being done but don't know if I could trust what they were doing to be real.

I checked out your web site. That is fantastic that you are reproducing those panels and other parts and tools. On your profile page do you still own all those cars?
Old December 10th, 2023, 06:31 AM

Thanks for checking out my website, we are working on other parts and should be adding them to our catalog. The cars I still have here and I've added a couple more, two final 500 Bravada's (04) and another 02 Bravada while the two Bravada's on the list have moved over to become doner cars.
The 235/R75/14 from Coker are the American Classic tire made in Mexico and up here in Ontario Canada they cost over $500.00 each tire (shipping, brokerage, tax, install and exchange on the dollar), the BFG I can purchase here are around $120,00 each. The BFG tires are slightly smaller in diameter but to me it's something I can live with. The Coker tires are to wide for the stock rims and Coker will tell you that these tires require a 1" wider rim to fit correctly.
I have the tire buffer machine here so cutting a new white wall is an easy for me. The clips should be installed after the tires are mounted on the rim, once mounted and balanced just lower the air pressure and install 5 evenly around the edge. I use a piece of hardwood and a hammer to install them and haven't hit the white walls yet then pump the tires back to correct air pressure.
Steve
Old December 10th, 2023, 08:56 AM
Art S

Thanks again for the reply.
That's a good cost savings on the tires by doing that yourself. I'm hoping to run into a reasonable deal between now and spring. I think the prices for whitewalls is outrageous. The guy I bought my car from bought a set of Cokers for another car of his and said they were horrible, had to put almost 4lbs of weight on one to get it to balance, and i've read other reviews on the web that weren't too favorable. There's another company 'Calli Tire' that are more reasonable, them or Diamond.

Thanks for the advise and help.
Old December 11th, 2023, 06:10 AM

I haven't dealt with Calli Tire and don't recall anyone I know having dealt with them. Diamondback I've talked with about tires for my cars and they grind and valcanize a new sidewall the way you want them. By the time I get them here I'm in the same price range as Coker. Check around and see if some one in a car group in your area knows a company that buffs tires.
Steve
Old December 11th, 2023, 06:46 AM
Art S

I definitely will check around. It'll be my winter mission.
Art
Old December 14th, 2023, 11:03 AM
Art S

Back again seeking help. I realize I'm going to need a set of open end old fashioned lug nuts and I want to get a set of real USA made. One side of the car is left hand thread. Also will need valve stems for the rims. Anyone know where to buy these from or have a set for sale.
Old December 14th, 2023, 10:12 PM

Best place would be Mobile Parts, Craig Studnick, 516-485-1935.
Lots of parts for our cars and all USA made, no off shore stuff.
Steve
Old December 15th, 2023, 06:39 AM
Art S

Originally Posted by Oldskeeper
Best place would be Mobile Parts, Craig Studnick, 516-485-1935.
Lots of parts for our cars and all USA made, no off shore stuff.
Steve
Thanks