Wheels and Tires Sponsored by Tire Rack
Click Here

Center Cap Question, SSII vs SSIII

Search this Thread

Old March 27th, 2013, 12:17 PM
Work hard, play hard.

Center Cap Question, SSII vs SSIII

I am in need of bolt on center caps for my SSII wheels. At best, I am finding new caps for about 50 a piece. I am finding marginal condition used ones for about half that.

I have noticed that the snap on style (SSIII) are more plentiful, and much less in value. So, I started wondering, and this usually gets me in trouble!! But....

Is it possible to fashion the SSII wheel with snap on style centers? I can not seem to find much information on the hardware or how this interface works. So I am without any understanding on the fundamental differences in wheel design. Nor was I able to come across this question even being asked.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
Old April 19th, 2013, 12:32 AM

I don't think it can be done. The area of the wheel that the cap attaches to is shaped very differently between the two wheel styles. The snap-on style has a "snout" that protrudes straight out from the wheel and has a rounded end that the cap attaches to. The bolt on caps mate to the inner portion of the five webs at something like a 45 degree angle and don't have a protruding snout.
Old April 19th, 2013, 03:41 AM
Work hard, play hard.

Thanks for the thoughts. I have researched further and decided to play it safe, so I ordered new center caps. It was a good decision, but an expensive one!
Old April 19th, 2013, 07:54 AM
Old(s) Fart

First, the only difference between SSII and SSIII wheels is the paint (argent vs. lower body color). All 1975-up SSII/III wheels use snap-in centers. The wheel disc stamping is completely different between the two types. There is no possibility of using the snap-in centers on bolt-in wheels or vice-versa.

Driver condition bolt-in wheel centers run ~$10 each at most swap meets.
Old April 19th, 2013, 08:05 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by 4WDlifeform
Thanks for the thoughts. I have researched further and decided to play it safe, so I ordered new center caps. It was a good decision, but an expensive one!
The new caps are very nice quality, I think you'll like them. Just be careful torquing the wheel nuts because the clearance between the side of the cap and socket is tight. You could end up damaging the finish if you use an impact driver. BTW you'll also need the right bolts to fasten the caps to the wheel. Check for phosphate coated ones at your local hardware. Take a cap with you so you can test fit thread and length.
Old April 19th, 2013, 02:29 PM
Work hard, play hard.

I have installed the new centers. They did not require the "wood" type thread bolts like the originals. IIRC, they were a metric machine thread, 6mmx25??
Old April 19th, 2013, 04:19 PM
72 Olds CS

arghh metric??? for reals ????
Old April 19th, 2013, 05:44 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by RetroRanger
arghh metric??? for reals ????
Yup, that was a topic of discussion on another thread too. If you got the OLD NOS caps, you use the standard bolts, if you get the NEW?? NOS caps they're metric thread. Go figure huh?
Old April 20th, 2013, 06:54 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Allan R
Yup, that was a topic of discussion on another thread too. If you got the OLD NOS caps, you use the standard bolts, if you get the NEW?? NOS caps they're metric thread. Go figure huh?
Wouldn't have anything to do with the repops being made from Chinesium, would it?
Old April 20th, 2013, 08:21 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Joe, I honestly don't know. Might also reflect the changes to production being more metric sizes with everything.
Old April 20th, 2013, 10:01 AM
Work hard, play hard.

I will be pulling my wheels again soon, so I will get more information on the bolts I bought (specific thread, length). It is not stated in the add, nor did it come with hardware.

Here are the center caps I bought just for reference - http://www.ebay.com/itm/270813808254...84.m1497.l2649

I will say though, they are very nice set! The emblems were a stick-on metallic sticker (like a thick foil). I am very happy with them. This was the best price I could find on new.
Old April 20th, 2013, 10:27 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Those caps look like offshore production even though PP says they are original GM. That doesn't surprise me though because GM is putting a lot of production off shore lately. I have OEM bolt ons that I bought in 85. Still have the OEM boxes too! The older style GM caps have a painted/etched surface on the dished in areas instead of bright chrome and are easy to see the difference. Don't get me wrong - they're great looking additions to the car. Maybe they changed production standards - who knows? The caps were always getting beat up in those areas from impact tools anyway. Here are pics for comparison.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1074.jpg (71.9 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_1065.jpg (51.1 KB, 112 views)
Old April 20th, 2013, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by 4WDlifeform
I am in need of bolt on center caps for my SSII wheels. At best, I am finding new caps for about 50 a piece. I am finding marginal condition used ones for about half that.
I was kinda in the same boat. I just bought some ones off fleabay for 50 bucks in ok condition. They are fine for me because my car is in daily driver shape.