Wheels and Tires Sponsored by Tire Rack
Click Here

16" or 17" SSIII wheels?

Search this Thread

Old January 1st, 2013, 11:58 AM

16" or 17" SSIII wheels?

I noticed that 16 and 17" wheels are now being manufactured for Chevys in 2 of their factory rally type wheel designs. They look good and I was wondering if Wheel Vintiques or another wheel vender may have started to make them in the Super Stock III design. Now a days 15" tires are getting rarer and going the way of 14" , Maybe soon the only way you may be able to get 15" will be thru specialty tire outfits... Anyway, anyone heard of these being made?
Old January 1st, 2013, 03:10 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
I noticed that 16 and 17" wheels are now being manufactured for Chevys in 2 of their factory rally type wheel designs. They look good and I was wondering if Wheel Vintiques or another wheel vender may have started to make them in the Super Stock III design. Now a days 15" tires are getting rarer and going the way of 14" , Maybe soon the only way you may be able to get 15" will be thru specialty tire outfits... Anyway, anyone heard of these being made?
There are no 16" or larger SSII/III wheels for a simple reason. The center disk stamping is the same for both the 14" and 15" versions. The rim on the 15" wheels has a dropped center that matches the OD of the center disk. To make a 16" version, the outer rim would need to have an even greater dropped center, and no one makes that type of outer rim today. The larger Chevy wheels have a different center stamping. The large volume of Chevy wheels sold makes it economically viable to tool up for this new stamping. That's not the case for Olds wheels. More importantly, stretching the SSII/III center disk to fit a larger wheel will likely screw up the styling of the wheel.

There IS (or was) a company machining billet aluminum versions of SSII/III wheels in 17" diameter. Cost for a set was considerably more than I paid for most of my cars.
Old January 1st, 2013, 05:37 PM

That makes sense, unfortunatly. Yeah and we all know how easy it is to get parts for chevys... You can get a rebuild kit for a chevy 350 cheaper than a 10 hp tecumseh.. Thanks Joe.