Wheels and Tires Sponsored by Tire Rack
Click Here

15 Inch SSIIs

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2012, 07:44 PM

15 Inch SSIIs

Just put on the 15 inch SSIIs they look great IMO. Powder coated the backs black and the fronts dark argent silver. Polished the bezels, put new trim rings on with correct acorn style lug-nuts. The fronts have NOS center caps, man talk about scarey putting those on, they look so good I was not sure I should use them, now I know why I shy away from NOS, but I have had these for years so I might as well.

The tires are 255/60/15 in back and 245/60/15 in front.

The last image is the 245/15 next to the 245/14 just as reference

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
NOS centercap.jpg (83.8 KB, 440 views)
245 15 vs 245 14.jpg (76.9 KB, 445 views)

Last edited by stevengerard; May 9th, 2012 at 08:20 PM.
Old May 9th, 2012, 07:59 PM

AAAHHHRRRG!
I just decided to keep my 14's for financial reasons and buy a new set of 225/70 BFG T/A's, as mine needs tires this week. You may have gone and ruined it for me. Your a jerk,.. and they look awesome!!!
We'll see if I can find a set of 15's before the weekend...
Old May 9th, 2012, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Bluemeanie
AAAHHHRRRG!
I just decided to keep my 14's for financial reasons and buy a new set of 225/70 BFG T/A's, as mine needs tires this week. You may have gone and ruined it for me. Your a jerk,.. and they look awesome!!!
We'll see if I can find a set of 15's before the weekend...
Put the 14s on the front and get some 255/15s or 275/15s on the rear. I was going to do that myself keeping the 245/14s on the front, here's an image of that. Of course without the trim ring on back it looks like a drag tire, but you can see its a bit too much of a rake - still looks kind of bad@$$ though doesn't it?

Attached Images
15 bck 14 frt.jpg (93.8 KB, 411 views)
Old May 9th, 2012, 08:40 PM

Yep, looks killer. 10 years ago that's how all my cars were. I love the stock look these days, IE/ yours with the 15's... has that little extra these bodies need to fill out the wells and still have some good width (IMO). Stout and proud, with still keeping a stock look. I think it's a perfect combo. Nice choice. Do you have stock springs in the back? Mine are sagging a tad, and I do like a bit of a rake in the rear. Yours sits exactly how I want mine to, but haven't really addressed that issue yet.
Old May 9th, 2012, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Bluemeanie
Do you have stock springs in the back? Mine are sagging a tad, and I do like a bit of a rake in the rear. Yours sits exactly how I want mine to, but haven't really addressed that issue yet.

Thanks. I wish I remembered what springs are in there, I think Eaton springs, they are HD F85 convertible w/AC springs. I know there were a bunch of variations to choose from but since I do parades I wanted a set that had more strength for the back. So I think the fronts were 1 inch drop (at most) while the back were stock height just HD. I was concerned the HD AC springs would make it ride too high front and back. I just can't remember if I got stock fronts and the HD rears raised it a bit or did I get 1 inch lower and that's why it has a bit of a rake.
Old May 9th, 2012, 09:09 PM

since I do parades I wanted a set that had more strength for the back.

Well,... I don't plan on doing parades, but I have a bunch of road trips planned for this summer that will mean a packed trunk and or the family in the car.
It would seem even if I didn't lower the front that those would give it a good boost in the back and at least make it nice and level. Thanks for the info!!! I'll look into those Eatons....
Old May 9th, 2012, 11:25 PM

I love the stance with that wheel and tire combo. I am ready to do my front end with hotchkis 1" drops and all new bushings etc. I now have 14" SS2's and wonder if the 15" wheels will give me that stance? Where do you cruise in chicago I would like to see your car in person
Old May 9th, 2012, 11:41 PM

Looks great. I put some bolt on 15" SSII's on my 70 442 as well.

Don't mean to knock anything but, if you're interested, some 71 or so Mopars apparently used the same 15" trim ring that the Olds 15" wheels used. I stumbled across them looking for some for my car. I have no idea why the Olds vendors haven't picked up on it but they don't offer them as far as I know.
Old May 10th, 2012, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by W70442
Don't mean to knock anything but, if you're interested, some 71 or so Mopars apparently used the same 15" trim ring that the Olds 15" wheels used.
Tell me more, I looked everywhere and settled on the ones I have now because they were dirt cheap - if you look close you can tell they are about a half inch short of the correct depth. I have what I think are an original set but it takes a lot of effort to get them to look good so after hours of polishing one I bit the bullet and bought cheap repos. Problem is even searching this site one will find 20 answers about trim ring size, shape and vendor and none are consistent.

I'm in near western suburbs, I go to Westchester's car show on Monday's, starts this week. Lots of cars, lots of parking spaces, easy to get to; Wolf road and 31st
Old May 10th, 2012, 05:42 AM
CQR

Looks good. Just put 15X7's on my 67.
Old May 10th, 2012, 05:47 AM
same but different

Looks Good! like the way should

Sharp car.
Old May 10th, 2012, 05:56 AM
1971 442 convert

Looks great!!
Just ordered the exact same set up.
Old May 10th, 2012, 08:10 AM

Here ya go.

You can get them in brushed or chrome. I went with the chrome.

Here's a link for each. not great pics but if you blow them up, you can see that the shape of the edge is correct. Weird that they put three different rings in the pic.....
https://www.yearone.com/Product/DisplayProduct/383553

https://www.yearone.com/Product/DisplayProduct/383554

Here's another from YO.
https://www.yearone.com/Product/DisplayProduct/29209

Not sure why such a price difference???? YO has them, other places should as well. Maybe you can find a better price searching Mopar catalog sites.
I checked the Olds section on YO's web site and they don't list these so they don't even realize it. If they are different somehow, I don't see it.

Here's a few pics of mine. I was fooling around with some reflection pics.
relectionpics039e.jpg
relectionpics036e.jpg
relectionpics013.jpg
relectionpics003.jpg

Last edited by W70442; May 10th, 2012 at 08:36 AM.
Old May 10th, 2012, 08:51 AM

Thanks, that's why I did not go with them, for now I felt $79 for 4 brand new trim rings would suffice until I could see some in person - maybe at Homecoming I'll look at cars and or vendors. In those pics the inside lip looks smaller than my originals so I was hesitant to spend over 200 with any vendor until I could see some in person.

PS those look awesome
Old May 10th, 2012, 09:37 AM

Steven - what color blue do you have there?

Thanks,
Bill
Old May 10th, 2012, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by TenMidgets
Steven - what color blue do you have there?

Bill
28 Twilight Blue
Old May 10th, 2012, 10:21 AM

...if you're interested, some 71 or so Mopars apparently used the same 15" trim ring that the Olds 15" wheels used. I stumbled across them looking for some for my car.
Randy,

You may have put an end to my search for new rings for my 77. From what I can see in the photos, they appear to be pretty darn close...time for more research.

You can get them in brushed or chrome. I went with the chrome.

Here's a link for each. not great pics but if you blow them up, you can see that the shape of the edge is correct....

https://www.yearone.com/Product/DisplayProduct/383553

https://www.yearone.com/Product/DisplayProduct/383554

Here's a few pics of mine. I was fooling around with some reflection pics.
Sweet!!!

So now I have a few "correct detail" questions so I can compare my originals to these, if you don't mind.

What's the depth from outer edge to inner edge?
How tall is the inner inside lip?
Is the valve stem hole an oval or circle?
If it's a circle, what's the diameter?
How many fasteners (retaining clips) are on the back?

Any photos of these areas would be great if you have any.

Originally Posted by stevengerard
...I was hesitant to spend over 200 with any vendor until I could see some in person.
2x, Steven
Old May 10th, 2012, 10:28 AM

Awesome looking wheels guys.

Anyone know what a set of 4 nice trim rings go for? I've got a set of 83-88 rallye wheels. Anyone know if 72 trim rings would fit on them?

Old May 11th, 2012, 08:21 AM

Looks great Steven!

Did you PC yourself? Clear coat? Where did your powder come from? I need a source for that color.

I'm going to do the same to a set of 15x7 that I have.
Old May 11th, 2012, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by MX442
Looks great Steven!

Did you PC yourself? Clear coat? Where did your powder come from? I need a source for that color.
Powder coat no clear coat, did the same thing to the 14s 8 or 9 years ago and they still look great. I'll get the color for you I posted that on another thread somewhere "anthracite metallic gray"
Old May 11th, 2012, 10:22 AM

Looks Nice Steven!
Old May 12th, 2012, 05:08 AM
Old School Olds

Very, Very nice!
Old May 12th, 2012, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by stevengerard
Powder coat no clear coat, did the same thing to the 14s 8 or 9 years ago and they still look great. I'll get the color for you I posted that on another thread somewhere "anthracite metallic gray"
Thanks for the help. I'll have to search for that thread. Only one of the powder suppliers has a color called anthracite, but no sample pictures. All of the powder suppliers have a color called gunmetal gray pearl, which is what I was going to try.
Old May 13th, 2012, 07:01 AM

Looks great! Mine came with 15" SSII wheels with 235/60-15 BFGs, but they were 9+ years old and flat-spotted bad from lack of use by previous owner. I just installed 245/60-15s all the way around. It looks nice. Rear end is sagging so I'll be doing springs next. Will post picks when done.
Old May 26th, 2012, 04:20 AM
1971 442 convert

They do look sweet Steven just got mine on yesterday same set up.

For me I am a little disappointed in the trim rings I got which look to be the same as yours. I know you have a trim ring thread going but I thought I would post here as W70442 seems to be posting the correct ones (in my humble opinion) They look like 15" and the trim rings are the shape my 14" ones were. See my before and after. First pic is new !5" second is old 14".
The new 15" rings are more cone shaped and do not go right into the rim.
The 14" are flatter if you get my drift. Anybody need some new trim rings LOL and where do you get the proper ones. I tried to go through Fusick and they were out of stock so they referred me to another source. I was unaware that they were two or more versions floating around.
Attached Images
DSC02171.JPG (136.7 KB, 48 views)
DSC02166.JPG (130.4 KB, 43 views)
DSC02175.JPG (130.6 KB, 39 views)
Old May 27th, 2012, 01:50 AM

Love the look, sweet ride for sure..One of my favorite colors. Had a 68 Camaro shot the same... Same rims im wanting for the 67 C/S..
Old May 27th, 2012, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by 1971 442 convert

For me I am a little disappointed in the trim rings I got which look to be the same as yours. I know you have a trim ring thread going but I thought I would post here as W70442 seems to be posting the correct ones (in my humble opinion) They look like 15" and the trim rings are the shape my 14" ones were. See my before and after. First pic is new !5" second is old 14".
The 14" are flatter if you get my drift. Anybody need some new trim rings LOL and where do you get the proper ones. I tried to go through Fusick and they were out of stock so they referred me to another source. I was unaware that they were two or more versions floating around.
I sent a pm, hope you don't mind.
Old May 27th, 2012, 05:33 AM

That's too bad. It looks like you'll have to get rid of the car now. I'll be available Wednesday for you to drop off that beautiful 'vert in front of my house .

I can't tell how "correct" your 15" trim rings are, but all 15" rings should be more cone-shaped anyway since the outer section of the rim is where the 1" difference is between the 14" and 15" wheels; the center sections (with SS-II / SS-III painted areas, bezels and mounting holes) are identical. Since 15" rims are "incorrect" for a '70-'72 anyway, i didn't really sweat the trim rings much on mine. Also some aftermarket 15" rings are a little deeper than others, so maybe you needed those (?). The trim rings on mine go right up to the bezels.
Old May 27th, 2012, 08:10 AM
1971 442 convert

OK Joe pick it up LOL.
I tried to look at your trim rings can't tell exactly but yours look like what I thought I was getting. Any close up pics or are they 14"??

Dent I did not get the PM???
Old May 27th, 2012, 09:22 AM

OK Joe pick it up LOL.
I tried to look at your trim rings can't tell exactly but yours look like what I thought I was getting. Any close up pics or are they 14"??

Dent I did not get the PM???
Thats ok , I'm trying to get lots of pics of the correct non W 442 side stripe , just want to know if yours are correct. Iv seen some that are slightly different then others , maybe its different from year to year?
Old May 27th, 2012, 10:09 AM
1971 442 convert

I believe mine are correct but they are not painted on which is the way they came from the factory.
Old May 30th, 2012, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by macrover
Randy,

You may have put an end to my search for new rings for my 77. From what I can see in the photos, they appear to be pretty darn close...time for more research.

Sweet!!!

So now I have a few "correct detail" questions so I can compare my originals to these, if you don't mind.

What's the depth from outer edge to inner edge?
How tall is the inner inside lip?
Is the valve stem hole an oval or circle?
If it's a circle, what's the diameter?
How many fasteners (retaining clips) are on the back?

Any photos of these areas would be great if you have any.

2x, Steven
Hope this helps........

Here are some pics of all three rings in question. 14" Olds, 15" Olds and 15" ring that I believe is a chevy ring that the vendors offer as a replacement for the 15" Olds ring. It's not even close. Earlier, I posted a couple links to the Year One web site where they had 15" rings listed for Mopars that I believe are the same as the 15" Olds rings. I bought some and they are identical to original Olds 15" rings I have. Ironically, Year One doesn't even realize this because they don't list them in the Olds section. You have to go to the Mopar catalog to get them. You can choose between brushed finish or chrome finish. I think I bought the chrome ones.

The Olds 14" and 15" both measure 3" tall/deep. The chevy/repro is 2 1/4" deep.
The Olds 14" doesn't have an inner lip. The inner lip on the Olds 15" is about 3/16". The inner lip on the chevy is about 1/4".
The Olds 14" and chevy have the same shape valve stem opening, the Olds 15" has an egg shaped opening except that both ends of the hole are the same shape. One end isn't larger than the other like an egg.
They all three have the same type of mounting tabs. There are 16 tabs on each ring.

Here are all three together. 14" Olds top left, 15" Olds bottom right, chevy/repro 15" bottom left.

trimrings045.jpg

Here are the 14" and 15" Olds together. 14" on the left, 15" on the right.
trimrings044.jpg

Profile and front views of 15" chevy/repro ring.
trimrings026.jpg
trimrings022.jpg

Profile and front views of the 14" Olds ring.
trimrings027.jpg
trimrings012.jpg

Profile and front view of 15" Olds ring.
trimrings021.jpg
trimrings016.jpg

Mounting tabs.
trimrings048.jpg

Last edited by W70442; May 31st, 2012 at 12:06 AM.