72 VC Guidance

Search this Thread

Old February 27th, 2018, 03:46 PM

72 VC Guidance

Gentlemen, I have a 72 VC that did not have a roof rack. I bought one off the internet. It came with sheet metal type screws and crispy gaskets. I was wondering if that is the best way to attach or should I use well nuts? Also any suggestions for gasket material because I assume I will need to make my own.
Old February 27th, 2018, 04:25 PM

I've got a 1969 that came with the roof rack, but its been removed. If it would help I could snap some pictures of what it looks like. Sorry, I don't have the experience to suggest what you should use on yours. John
Old February 27th, 2018, 07:52 PM

My Vista Cruiser came with an original roof rack and it was also attached with sheet metal screws and there doesn't seem to be any problem with the screws stripping or coming loose. At least as long as you mount it in the spot where there seems to be a double skin of roof sheet metal.

I was told by Pete Lohr that the Buick and other wagons used special sheet metal nuts. He also said that he thought the gaskets were molded or sheet rubber although mine were some kind of fiber gasket material that isn't reusable. I'll probably cut thin black sheet rubber from Restoration Specialties when I put mine back on. The same goes for the rear wing. Some of the other cars even used a third mounting foot for that, but as far as I can see 1968 through 1972 Vista Cruisers had only two feet. I didn't know it was an option to have one without the roof rack...

Tom
Old February 27th, 2018, 07:55 PM

Yes, both the roof rack & the wind deflector were optional but I think they look naked, without at least the rack.
Old February 27th, 2018, 08:02 PM

I agree. I think the wing is for keeping the rear glass cleaner right?... That and also increased down force during hard cornering, of course ;-)...
Old February 27th, 2018, 08:07 PM

What color is your Scott? It looks like Astro Blue 25?
Old February 27th, 2018, 08:27 PM

It was born Astro Blue but I always wanted a viking blue car so this is it. Technically it was available in 1970 but as a special order color on the Toronado only.
Old February 27th, 2018, 08:32 PM

Oh cool. Just like mine. Although I've found that almost every paint manufacturer's Viking Blue looks quite different. I think the Matrix I got was the closest of all that I tried...
Old February 27th, 2018, 08:36 PM

I have a friend that runs a paint company and he is a pretty big Oldsmobile guy. He got my paint for me and I think it is dead on. Not a great picture but here is one from earlier today.
Old February 27th, 2018, 09:06 PM

Wow. Beautiful! I love the skis too? I can guarantee you that I'll take mine skiing a few times too. People always get a kick when I show up with my 1972 BMW 3.0CSi and a pair of 80s Fisher skis. You know, that new-fangled 80s stuff :-)...
Old February 28th, 2018, 05:13 AM

Scogo, look really closely at the rack, It can be put on back wards. The curves on the brackets are just a little different. I had just put mine on a couple years ago and went to the Olds Homecoming in Lansing and looked at a beautifully restored Indy Pace car Vista and saw they had the rack on backwards! I couldn't believe a car of that caliber ended up like that. Anyway look at it closely.
Old February 28th, 2018, 03:27 PM

Thanks guys, appreciate all of the advice.
Old November 26th, 2019, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by Scogo
Gentlemen, I have a 72 VC that did not have a roof rack. I bought one off the internet. It came with sheet metal type screws and crispy gaskets. I was wondering if that is the best way to attach or should I use well nuts? Also any suggestions for gasket material because I assume I will need to make my own.
They are called rivet nuts, probably NOT for the purist. Google "rivet nuts" (I tried to post a picture, boy that was ugly) I'm not sure the factory used just a sheetmetal screw, Buicks in my past, they used the rubber insert/compression nut. Source of trouble when they dried out. I installed my roof rack with the rivet nuts. Uses a special compression gun, kinda like a pop rivet gun. When the rivet nuts go in, they are pretty indestructable. I always use sealant when installing and when assembling. Gasket?? Yea, I cheated, used a rigid plastic piece from a Great Dane trailer mudflap. Cut to fit, drill the holes... Who knew??

Last edited by mobjack68; November 26th, 2019 at 06:02 AM. Reason: pic showed up as code