Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

Frame for 1940 2 door Olds coupe?

Search this Thread

Old June 29th, 2015, 04:19 PM

Question Frame for 1940 2 door Olds coupe?

I would like to put my 40 Olds body on a modern frame. I have a great original frame, but want to put in a 350 engine, power steering etc. Does anyone know a frame that would be a good fit? I've been given a lot of conflicting info and don't have the time or money to experiment to see who is right. I know the Olds experts here will put me on the right track. So if you've done this and know for sure which frame I should buy, please let me know. Thanks for your help!
Old June 30th, 2015, 08:19 AM

Maybe someone will turn up who has done such a swap but generally speaking there is no substitute for doing your own homework.

Just for starters get the critical measurements from your car for wheelbase and track width (front and rear). You've already handicapped yourself by limiting your choices to frames with 350 engines (350 Olds or Chevy?). Then find a database or make one of possible donor cars and small pickups with similar measurements. Finding a full frame donor car with the equipment you want eliminates anything with a unibody. There is a lot of data on the Internet but it is time consuming to go through it.

Let me suggest an alternative. Contact Fat Man Fabrications and tell them what you want. They will either already have or can make a front clip (frame ahead of firewall) and can set it up for the engine, steering and brakes you want. A 70s Nova rear end fits under a lot of older GM cars and keeps tires within the fender. I believe this will be a lot more do-able than a full frame swap.

At the very least the experienced people at Fat Man can let you know what you are in for if you go ahead with the full frame/body swap.
Jerry
Old June 30th, 2015, 08:42 AM
Administrator

It seems a lot of people are using Dakota and S10 frames for a lot of old cars as of late. Something to look into. Modding these frames to allow different engine packages is not very hard.