Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

shake down(and i mean shake)

Search this Thread

Old June 8th, 2012, 12:40 PM

shake down(and i mean shake)

well i took it out for the first drive since 93 today,it wasnt pretty.I thought the engine was going to come out of it it shook so badly.It also didnt want to shift from first and acted like it was slipping.took it back home and the trans was two quarts low.Added a quart of lucas trans fix and stop leak and a quart of dex/merc,tried again.This time it shifted into second but that was all,it still shakes like crazy,took it home.Figure i,ll check the front mount because ive read that it will shake if not tightened properly,one was tight at 40ft lbs ,the other was loose and when i tried to tighten it i found it is stripped,i dont remember stripping it when i put it in but i guess anything can happen.Where can i get a new quality lower front mount i think i got this one from usa but i will have to check my recipts.Do they all come from the same manufacturer i wonder also.I am wondering if the trans could be the passing gear linkage is incorrectly adjusted too i dont have the factory tool to set it,i also think it needs retimed now that the carbs are adjusted at idle.ok **** and moan over any help appreciated .One more thing any easy steps to change the mount would be helpfull.Glen
Old June 9th, 2012, 06:37 PM

First drive since '93?!?! I would definately recommend running a full tune up. Fluids, sparks, wires, timing, the whole shabang... In reference to the motor mount, try www.rockauto.com - they sometimes have some good deals and definately quality stuff. I don't think they all come from the same manufacturer, but don't quote me on that. Take care and good luck!
Old June 10th, 2012, 03:52 AM

Every thing is new including the motor mounts,i ordered another from fusick who gets them from kanter hopefully its a better quality.I did notice the studs were much shorter than the original but figured it was the norm for repoped parts.The engine has been completely rebuilt also.I was told the motor mount may have let the engine twist some and that would cause it not to shift also.thanks Glen
Old June 10th, 2012, 08:02 PM

Golds56, just wondering is your transmission the same transmission that was in your car originally? If not I've been told that switching from a slant pan Hydro to a Jetaway can cause problems such as you described ( out of balance).I have personally done this with no problems but others have told me I was lucky,just a thought...Tedd
Old June 10th, 2012, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
Golds56, just wondering is your transmission the same transmission that was in your car originally? If not I've been told that switching from a slant pan Hydro to a Jetaway can cause problems such as you described ( out of balance).I have personally done this with no problems but others have told me I was lucky,just a thought...Tedd
On that note I have also heard that a bad torus will act up like a bad motor mount... Not sure exactly what and why though... hopefully D2 willlys might chime in and shed some light on this. I am mostly waiting to hear how your triple deuce setup works out... I am planning to run one as well, but it will be 3 holley 94's if I can get them and the tv linkage sorted out.
Old June 11th, 2012, 09:32 AM

Hi tedd,it is the same transmission i removed from the car when i got it.BUT it came with another engine and trans and the previous owner may have done some swapping unfortunately hes not around anymore.I dont know if the jetaway and the regular hydramatic have the same shift pattern either,do they? mine is P N D L2 L1 R.
Old June 11th, 2012, 09:36 AM

oldsdmobum,the three deuces seem to be fine,if you need information on them get ahold of tri-power carburation in MO. they were very helpfull and knowledgable.Ken has run a few of them in his youth and makes all the parts for the linkages.
Old June 11th, 2012, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by golds56
Hi tedd,it is the same transmission i removed from the car when i got it.BUT it came with another engine and trans and the previous owner may have done some swapping unfortunately hes not around anymore.I dont know if the jetaway and the regular hydramatic have the same shift pattern either,do they? mine is P N D L2 L1 R.
Yep,same shift pattern. You might try posting this problem on the transmission forum, D2willis would know a lot more than I about unique vibration problems if in fact it is the transmission at all. How is the vibration damper?....Tedd
Old June 12th, 2012, 02:54 AM

ok ,but my manual says the hydromatic didnt have park but used r for parki wonder if i took pjcs when i cleaned and painted the trans,did the 55 hydro have two shift arms one for passing gear also?I will post on trans thread also after i get the new mount in.I figure i will drain and pull the radiator tonight and the harmonic balancer also to get at the top bolts of the front mount ,cant think of a easier way.I would have done it yesterday but im still ticked off at her and couldnt stand to .
Old June 12th, 2012, 03:52 AM

Golds56, I just changed my 56 from Hydramatic to Jetaway, which should have been in the car. No vibrations.
You are right, the Hydramatic has no Park position, the transmission gets blocked in Reverse.
The Jetaway has a park position.
Old June 12th, 2012, 06:33 AM

Sorry, I must of been brain dead last night, the slant pan has no park my mistake, but reveries is still on the far right.....Tedd
Old June 14th, 2012, 12:51 PM

Well ive got the engine mount installed and the shaking seems to have abated for the most part.I do have a pretty good leak from the transmission though.i wonder if the po opened it up.It now shifts into 3rd but it feels like it is slipping badly,when i give it fuel it will go back into 2nd pretty quick and runs like crazy but then it will shift into 3rd when i let off the gas and start slipping again.I will post this on transmission thread page and see if d2 will be reading .I dont have a trans guy around that i think knows these transmissions so mabey he will be able to help.thanks all Glen
Old June 14th, 2012, 03:42 PM

Well ive got the engine mount installed and the shaking seems to have abated for the most part.I do have a pretty good leak from the transmission though.i wonder if the po opened it up.It now shifts into 3rd but it feels like it is slipping badly,when i give it fuel it will go back into 2nd pretty quick and runs like crazy but then it will shift into 3rd when i let off the gas and start slipping again.I will post this on transmission thread page and see if d2 will be reading .I dont have a trans guy around that i think knows these transmissions so mabey he will be able to help.thanks all Glen
Golds56,
I had my Jetway redone by:
Lee Myles of West Roxbury Massachusetts
5201 Washington St.
W. Roxbury, MA. 02132
Visit Our Auto Care Web Site
Transmissions & Auto Repair West Roxbury, MA

617-744-3195

Steve Peluso and his crew did a terrific job and the hundred and change USD for the trucking to his place was well invested.
These guys seem to have "invented" the Jetaway. So, if you want to see good work, call Steve!
Old June 23rd, 2012, 06:19 PM
Railroad Mike

Lightbulb slips and shifts

I am sure you did it, but the linkage is SO critical to the shifting. If it is not adjusted JUST RIGHT it will slip shift and quick shift. You HAVE to start at the trans and work your way up to the carb. Good luck!
Old July 27th, 2012, 12:55 PM

Well i got a call from the trans guy today ,and after over a month he says"come and get it i give up" he couldnt get the seals in the front drum without tearing one and after 4 atempts he just put the trans back togeather and put it back in.I now have 1,2,3 gears somewhat and a new high rpm vibration,thank you and good by.He didnt mention any bill so i called my flatbed driver and he brought it home an hour later.He says the trans guy was totally confused about it and is going on vacation for two weeks.I will probably not get to "back to the bricks " in two weeks which sucks .And i can look forward to pulling the trans on the garage floor again ,what fun!If i can find a local shop to fix it.One guy said he can do it but only wants the trans or drum not the whole car as it will tie up a hoist for a few days.So i think i should go to the boat ,smoke a fat *** cigar,and hope the girlfriend feels frisky to drive this out of my head for a while.
Old August 26th, 2012, 09:23 AM

Update,I drove to akron for rocketfest and bought a rebuilt trans with one years use on it,had it installed and it works fine .I still need to fiddle withn the kickdown and the linkage needs adjusted on the secondary carbs so they wont kick in at the same time.I still had the shaking issue though.Yesterday i installed a rebuilt harmonic balancer and fuel pump.I had a very nice drive afterwards.I need to adjust the timing a bit too but only a touch to get rid of a slight hesitation on takeoff.I am going to drive it to my dads today ,about 20 miles away,he has never seen this car since i bought it 12 years ago.I think he will enjoy it,i sure will.Thank you all for your input and time helping me out with this project.Oh i have an issue with wipers too ,but i think i just need to hook up a hose from carb base to vacume pump to fix that.Happy motoring.Glen