Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

Heater blower missing - 1953

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2012, 07:31 PM

Heater blower missing - 1953

I was just getting around to fixing the heating system on my 88. Rebuilding the heater control valve at Fusicks, had the heater core cleaned and tested, and so on, when I realized something horrible: there is no fan.

Yes, there is a fan switch, resistor, and wires - but no fan anywhere.

Looking at the shop manual, there is no clear reference that I could find other than the electrical diagram which seems to indicate the fan is in the engine compartment somewhere. I finally have decided it is supposed to sit inline in the fresh air intake passage somehow, but that when the PO subframed it with the 1965 front end, he conveniently left the blower completely out.

Does anyone happen to have a picture of the original heater fan setup for a 1953 88? It's not going to do me much good to have a nice, non-leaky system, if I've got no way to pump air through it...

TIA
Old May 3rd, 2012, 04:08 PM

Erinyes, I don't know about a 53 but a 54 and 55 blower motor is on the passenger side engine compartment sticking out of the heater air box, usually a black box affair, if you had one it would be obvious by its presence.

If you have google on your computer go to images and google 53 olds engine compartment something should come up that would help you identify what you have....Tedd
Old May 3rd, 2012, 04:17 PM

Thanks, Tedd, I'll try that. I was beginning to think maybe it had been mounted on the drivers side - where there is now a brake booster and cylinder and a battery box!
Old May 3rd, 2012, 05:19 PM

Hers some pics I have of my car, I have removed all the heater stuff but I cant for the life of me remember where the fan was. I can dig the stuff out tomorrow after work and see where the fan could be.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
012.jpg (87.4 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg
0122.jpg (63.4 KB, 33 views)
Old May 3rd, 2012, 05:56 PM

Here's a S88 listed on ebay, engine compartment pics are waaaay down at the bottom. I'm thinking it was somewhere in that passenger side ductwork from the fender well to the cowl.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1953-...item5ae68abf95
Old May 3rd, 2012, 06:13 PM

I do believe you're right. I looked at the box under the dash and theres no room for a fan. My ductwork is packed away in a box and I can dig it out tomorrow.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 08:56 PM

I've heard from two different people now, and confirmed by visual inspection, that the fan attaches to the fresh air tube on the passenger side of the engine compartment, bolting on right up front just behind the grill. I can see the old holes for it, but it apparently was left off because it interfered with the new radiator setup that the PO put in - the wide radiator from the 65 Delta 88. My guess is the original 53 radiator was taller and narrower.

Yep, just scrolled through that Very Long List of pics, and the original radiator is tall and narrow as opposed to my short and wide radiator. Of course, now I'm curious as to what the door in the radiator cover is for; I thought it was to access the old radiator cap, but that can't be it since the cap is on the top of that radiator.

I may end up having the radiator shop make me a radiator that will fit better, or I'll never be able to drive it during any kind of cool or rainy weather at all...
Old May 4th, 2012, 04:17 AM

Being that your car is clipped I'm sure that you aren't concerned on keeping it 100% original so you might want to check out one of these.
http://www.summitracing.com/search/B.../?autoview=SKU
Old May 4th, 2012, 06:39 PM

Well, that's an interesting thought. I'll keep that in mind, though I still want to see if I can make the original style fan work without too much effort.

I guess I do some weird things sometimes, like putting in a 12 volt vacuum pump to run the wipers instead of converting to an electric wiper system...
Old May 5th, 2012, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Erinyes
Well, that's an interesting thought. I'll keep that in mind, though I still want to see if I can make the original style fan work without too much effort.

I guess I do some weird things sometimes, like putting in a 12 volt vacuum pump to run the wipers instead of converting to an electric wiper system...
What ever floats your boat, I just spent two days converting from vacuum to electric, Keeps the parts houses busy. ...Tedd