Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

57 olds J2 vacuum switch question

Old August 23rd, 2018, 07:01 PM

57 olds J2 vacuum switch question

I have a J2 setup on my 57 olds. For some reason I can’t seam to get the diaphragm to actuate that pulls the outer carbs open. I think it’s due to the lever that pushes down on the vacuum switch not being set up right. Looking at the carb supplemental manual it says the bottom part of the “v shaped” lever should be mounted directly below the switch. When I do that it doesn’t look like the top part of the v-shaped lever rotates far enough to push down on the vacuum switch when On wise open throttle. Any advice on how to set this up would be appreciated. Just a picture of where yours is mounted would be great. Thanks.
Old August 23rd, 2018, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by ivmachine
I have a J2 setup on my 57 olds. For some reason I can’t seam to get the diaphragm to actuate that pulls the outer carbs open. I think it’s due to the lever that pushes down on the vacuum switch not being set up right. Looking at the carb supplemental manual it says the bottom part of the “v shaped” lever should be mounted directly below the switch. When I do that it doesn’t look like the top part of the v-shaped lever rotates far enough to push down on the vacuum switch when On wise open throttle. Any advice on how to set this up would be appreciated. Just a picture of where yours is mounted would be great. Thanks.
The 1958 Oldsmobile Shop Manual has a section on the J-2 including photos and adjustment of the vacuum switch; pages 8-61 thru 8-78.
Old August 24th, 2018, 05:47 AM

I have the 1957 J2 Carburetor supplement manual, which I believe is what was incorporated into the 1958 shop manual. I adjusted per the photos, but it doesn't look like the upper arm pushes down on the vacuum switch much at all.
Old August 24th, 2018, 08:07 AM

I'm sure you know that the front and rear carbs are ether all closed or wide open nothing in between . Kinda of a strange operation compared to a progressive set up but If you are getting movement at all on the front and back carburetors you are close. How is your vacuum?.... Tedd
Old August 24th, 2018, 09:17 AM

I've tested everything with a hand vacuum pump to make sure it all works. The lockout rod is set up properly also. The vacuum is good, but shouldn't be an issue because the source is coming from the mechanically actuated fuel/vacuum pump. The issue I have is the lever to push down the vacuum switch that diverts vacuum to the diaphragm (which opens the outer carbs) doesn't look like it pushed the button down enough to actuate the switch. The adjustment is on the switch itself, which has vertical slots to move the switch up & down a bit. I've tried moving it both directions and it still doesn't seem to push the button down enough. The only other option is to bend the rod that connects to the "v-shaped" actuating levers, but I don't see that adjustment mentioned in any of the steps to set it up.
Old August 24th, 2018, 08:49 PM
Phantom Phixer

Originally Posted by ivmachine
I've tested everything with a hand vacuum pump to make sure it all works. The lockout rod is set up properly also. The vacuum is good, but shouldn't be an issue because the source is coming from the mechanically actuated fuel/vacuum pump. The issue I have is the lever to push down the vacuum switch that diverts vacuum to the diaphragm (which opens the outer carbs) doesn't look like it pushed the button down enough to actuate the switch. The adjustment is on the switch itself, which has vertical slots to move the switch up & down a bit. I've tried moving it both directions and it still doesn't seem to push the button down enough. The only other option is to bend the rod that connects to the "v-shaped" actuating levers, but I don't see that adjustment mentioned in any of the steps to set it up.
You may have to bend that rod . Someone in the past may have purposely bent it so the end carbs WOULDN'T open . ( Like a father of a teenage son …)
Old August 25th, 2018, 05:38 AM

That is a good point. I’ll bend it today and let you know.
Old August 25th, 2018, 01:19 PM

Before bending the rod, position yourself to be able to return it to its original configuration if need be!

Do so by a) photographing it and b) removing it and tracing the outline of the rod before being bent.

Just a thought to save possible anguish on down the road?
Old August 25th, 2018, 02:55 PM

Great idea. Thank you
Old September 6th, 2018, 11:58 AM

Bending the rod did nothing. The issue is the lever to push down the switch is supposed to rotate around 90 degrees and it is not rotating far enough.