Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

'47 olds 66

Search this Thread

Old February 26th, 2018, 06:10 AM

'47 olds 66

Hey to everyone. newbie to the forum. question. my mom, 79 years old, still has her very first car, a 47 old model66 with hydrostatic drive. still has the original motor, exterior trim and the interior is original. with that said, it not i the greatest shape since its been sitting outside all its life. it was repainted about 30 years ago, bit rust has worked its way through it.
just curious what kind of price range there is for this model.
any help with be greatly appreciated.
thanks.
Old February 26th, 2018, 07:19 AM

It would help to have more information, such as does the car run (I presume it doesn't), and what is the body style? Photos would help, too.

There were four non-station wagon body styles: Convertible, 2-door Club Coupe, 2-door Club Sedan, and 4-door Sedan.

This is from the '47 Olds sales brochure, but it was the same for '46.

The Old Cars Price Guide lists values for a non-running but restorable 1946 Series 66 Oldsmobile ranging from about $2500 for a 4-door sedan to $9000 for a 2-door club coupe. The latter is even more than a convertible, which is shown at about $5500.

Originally Posted by Tuck
hydrostatic drive
hydra-matic

Last edited by jaunty75; February 26th, 2018 at 07:23 AM.
Old February 26th, 2018, 09:09 AM

x2 what Jaunty said.

I'd just add that if you are going to wind up with this car there is a thread on 46-48 Olds owners under the Vintage Olds Forum here. Quite a few people including myself have contributed to and benefited from that thread. It hasn't been very active for the last few months. I know I don't post as often since I've completed my 47 Convertible project.

Whether you are keeping or selling it for Mom identify the model and post some pictures of whole car from various angles and particularly of floors including trunk, lower body edges etc. anywhere there is rust. Also trim and grille condition is a big issue on these as most of it is pot metal and subject to pitting which is expensive to fix and replate. Good grilles and side trim are not easy to find but patience and persistence will usually be rewarded. If you are thinking of restoring go into it with a realistic view that you will never get your money back out of it. It's a hobby not an investment. Good luck whatever you and Mom decide to do.
Jerry
Old February 26th, 2018, 08:17 PM

Hey thanks guys for the info and comments. i will do my best to get some photos posted tomorrow.

thanks again!!
Old March 1st, 2018, 02:41 PM

It's '47 66 Special Club Coupe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0354.JPG (2.33 MB, 22 views)
Old March 1st, 2018, 02:48 PM

Here are a couple more photos. I couldn't get the hood open for an engine shot, but its the original inline 6. Once its stops raining around here, I will get out there to see what I need to do to get the hood open. The bumpers, grill and all the trim are in the trunk, all original.
I will get some interior shots this weekend, also. It started rainin like the dickens, so I headed for the house.
Thanks for yalls interest.
Attached Images
20180301_171130.jpg (1.41 MB, 21 views)
20180301_171146.jpg (1.35 MB, 19 views)
20180301_171207.jpg (1.49 MB, 18 views)
Old March 1st, 2018, 08:52 PM

Looks better than I imagined it would. Hood release is on the inside on bottom of left hand side of dash. Likely the cable and maybe the hoot latch are rusted shut and will need plenty of PB Blaster and soaking time around both ends of cable if you can get to latch area from the grille area.
Keep us up to date on progress with photos and descriptions.
Jerry
ps. if you don't have trunk hinges they are frequently on eBay and are the same as Chevy for those years. Good reproductions widely available. Rubber pads available for them from Steele Rubber if not included with hinges.
Jerry
Old March 2nd, 2018, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by 47 Convertible
Looks better than I imagined it would.
My thought exactly. That car is quite restorable. Being a Club Coupe, it's apparently (according to Old Cars, anyway) the most desirable of the '46 body styles.

Let's see that engine when you get the hood open!
Old March 4th, 2018, 07:27 AM

That is in much better shape than mine! Why was all the trim removed? And where are you located, it could make a difference in the cars value.
Old March 4th, 2018, 08:45 AM

Hi Dennis, I was thinking Tuck's car was a twin to yours. Have been missing your posts and haven't seen a progress report on yours for a while. I was hoping you hadn't given up on it. Hopefully you are just waiting for decent weather or like me are waiting for the piggy bank to get a little fatter to do some parts shopping and will be posting some progress photos soon.
Jerry
Old March 4th, 2018, 09:07 AM

Hey Jerry, I haven't given up, just like you say, waiting for better weather. I'm also working on motorizing a bead roller I bought this winter. Almost done with that. I'll post up a pic in my build thread later today. Also, I'm making a set of tipping dies for it today. Hope that turns out OK!

And yes, Tuck's car is damn near identical to mine!