Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

'50 Olds, disc mod orig style wheels

Search this Thread

Old December 24th, 2017, 08:28 PM

'50 Olds, disc mod orig style wheels

I'm looking for 15 inch 5X5 wheels that will fit over my calipers and want to use the original caps and beauty rings. Any ideas? Or am I whistling in the wind?

The original wheel has three clips inserted into rectangular holes to hold the cap on.
Old December 24th, 2017, 08:32 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

You can get 15" wheels that work but using the center caps is another issue. Good luck with this one.
Old December 24th, 2017, 08:33 PM

I like the caps and rings. Would sure hate to lose the look.
Old December 24th, 2017, 08:38 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

That would be a shame with what you planned for this car. It may take some custom made wheels.
Old December 24th, 2017, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
You can get 15" wheels that work but using the center caps is another issue. Good luck with this one.
That's a beautiful convertible Redoldsman. Nice plane too.
Old December 24th, 2017, 09:04 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Thanks Travlr. The plane is a B-24 that is part of the Commemorative Air Force (CAF). It is one of two remaining that are in flying condition. It was at a car show back in 2014 and was a pretty good photo op.
Old December 25th, 2017, 07:56 AM

You might try mid seventies chevy five hole pickup wheels they should fit over your calipers and may or may not hold your poverty caps I've never tried to do that but they came with that style cap originally ... Tedd
Old December 25th, 2017, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
You might try mid seventies chevy five hole pickup wheels they should fit over your calipers and may or may not hold your poverty caps I've never tried to do that but they came with that style cap originally ... Tedd
"Poverty caps"??? LOL, I've never heard that term used. I guess that fits though, as the big wheel covers were probably an upgrade and added $. Thanks for the info and idea on where to find wheels. I'll check out what's available locally and see if I can find some.
Old December 25th, 2017, 10:25 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Poverty caps is a term that came along much later. In the day those on your car were referred to as hubcaps and the full ones were referred to as wheel covers. You also have the trim rings which were popular.
Old December 25th, 2017, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
Poverty caps is a term that came along much later. In the day those on your car were referred to as hubcaps and the full ones were referred to as wheel covers. You also have the trim rings which were popular.
I did a little preliminary investigation, what I could find on google, and it verified my memories of the wheels on GM trucks. They did have caps, but the caps fit over a press molded center. Not at all like the '50 Olds caps and wheels. The Olds has wheels with three rectangular holes that supply a way for the three hub cap clips to adhere to the rim. The clips actually fit loosely, enough to rattle back and forth without the cap on. And the cap fits over the clips, making them tighter in the wheel.

I'll have to take some pics and post them. I know some of the early 50s Studebakers used a similar set up. I suspect the clips were not used to retain caps past the early fifties.
Old December 25th, 2017, 07:14 PM
Phantom Phixer

Why disc brakes?

Unless you are planning some serious horsepower increase . Stock brakes should be adequate , If rebuilt to "like new" standards .
Old December 25th, 2017, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Charlie Jones
Why disc brakes?

Unless you are planning some serious horsepower increase . Stock brakes should be adequate , If rebuilt to "like new" standards .
Because I'm doing a chassis swap for several reasons... and the disc brakes already exist on the chassis.
Old December 26th, 2017, 06:12 AM
Phantom Phixer

Originally Posted by Travlr
Because I'm doing a chassis swap for several reasons... and the disc brakes already exist on the chassis.
OK, What is the chassis from ?
Old December 26th, 2017, 06:32 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Hey Charlie:

Here is the thread where he tell about the car. Looks like it will be pretty cool.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...one-again.html