Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

Converting 57 olds sedan to hardtop

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2017, 11:02 AM

Converting 57 olds sedan to hardtop

I have a 4 door sedan thats in real good shape that I'm stripping down to paint. I also have a 4 door hard top parts car that is rough. Has any one ever converted a sedan to hard top. Would it be as easy as swapping B pillars and the windows out or am i asking for a major head ache and not worth the frustration. I don't have the two cars in front of me to compare so id thought id ask the question to you fine knowledgable people on here. Thx.
Old May 22nd, 2017, 02:32 PM

Converting 57

I'm not sure, but I think even the windshield and rear glass is different on the 4 door hardtop, so wouldn't think it would be feasible to convert a sedan to a hardtop. It would probably mean clipping the bodies through the windshield posts and the floor pans, then welding the reconstructed hardtop back together. Doesn't seem worth it.
Old May 22nd, 2017, 02:51 PM

It sure looks really close to the same. I mean the doors wven completely disassemble. I'm not sure I don't want to go haul the other car in from the farm to find out it won't work. I'll post a picture about the upper door frames coming apart
Old May 22nd, 2017, 02:57 PM

That's on the sedan. Window frame will completely disassemble The doors sure look close to the same. It would be nice to make it a hard top and have the big open window in hopin someone has looked into this and can give me a definitive answer it sure seems like it can be done but I'm only goin from memory and I've destroyed that organ with malt beverages
It sure looks really close to the same. I mean the doors wven completely disassemble. I'm not sure I don't want to go haul the other car in from the farm to find out it won't work. I'll post a picture about the upper door frames coming apart
Old May 22nd, 2017, 04:35 PM

If you start this project, it's going to sound like the car is going to end up for sale (with the roof never completed) or in a junkyard before you know it
Old May 22nd, 2017, 05:20 PM

Before you get in to deep check the roof angle, they are different. That's why the windshield and rear window are not the same, doubtful if the doors would swap out with out major fitment issues and need of major modifications. Could it be done, probably with a lot of work and cubic dollars, but why? And as far as I'm concerned there is nothing wrong with a 4 door post car specially a 57, they are a cool ride as delivered.... Tedd

Last edited by Tedd Thompson; May 22nd, 2017 at 05:25 PM.
Old May 22nd, 2017, 05:44 PM

This is why I asked the question I didn't realize the window and rear windows are different on the holiday sedan and the regular ol sedan. It looks. Like they run the same doors with different window channel instead of the frame but I could be wrong cause the parts car isn't here hence me asking the question. They look very similar in the shop manual as well as for it being a cool car ya it is juat having the giant open window of the holiday sedan would be a bonus as to me it looks cool as hell and the back window on the sedan doesn't roll down very far.
Old May 22nd, 2017, 05:52 PM

If it was as simple as changing the pillar and the window channel I would be all over it as I'm cutting out the rockers as we speak and welding new ones I had made back in. it wouldNt be that bad of a job to swap pillars but if it won't work it won't work. Thx fir the responses. Asking A question is much easier than trying to figure it out the long hard way
Old September 1st, 2017, 09:31 AM

Just wondering if you pursued this project. I like them both as they were made, but it was an interesting question.
Old September 3rd, 2017, 07:02 AM

Also, consider how the change might affect the present title accuracy and your ability to sell it later. The model number aside from a description differs for sedan and hardtop. Guys convert four door cars to two door cars as another example then have to commit fraud or go through a lengthy procedure (at least here in Ohio) to legally represent the car for transfer in it's new form. Hard to see the logic is committing a ton of work for such a car which will end up as a white elephant.