Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

Not mine, but unusual so I'm sharing. Built 303 & automatic on CL

Search this Thread

Old August 30th, 2016, 08:42 PM

Not mine, but unusual so I'm sharing. Built 303 & automatic on CL

Hi All
Winding down from the day and surfing for Oldsmobile stuff on Craigslist I came across this ad outside of Seattle Washington. Its not cheap, but I don't know what the market is for something like this. John

Pic%201.jpg

Pic%203.jpg

Pic%205.jpg

Pic%204.jpg

"Every once in awhile we come across a really great and important piece of racing engine history. Everyone knows (especially us old-timers) that the Oldsmobile Rocket was one of the most important engines developed and forced GM, Ford, Chrysler and just about everyone else to push their engineers to raise the bar. The 303 Olds Rocket was the "Rocket of the Day" ....Perhaps you are one of those folks looking to build a really nice Nostalgic Hot-Rod and want it to stand out from the crowd.

This engine could be the center-piece for your build. The engine you are viewing (Please look closely at the pictures) is a very special Oldsmobile Rocket, and yes there is a story to go with it. This engine was built and intended for the Panamericana endurance race, for Johnny Johnson. The engine build was a 3 year project and we have the receipts dating back to 1999 when the build began and the final receipts from 2003 when it was completed. Somewhere along the way plans changed and the car the engine was intended for, was sold. The engine and the rebuilt 4 Speed Hydramatic languished in crates until a few months ago when we purchased them.

Being built to perform under the arduous use in endurance racing meant it had to be more that just a nice hot-rod motor. Receipts show it is built to 313 cubic inches, balanced and blue-printed, new ISKY cam and lifters, ISKY adjustable chrome-moly push-rods, hard seats, bronze valve guides, larger valves, ported polished, port matched heads, forged rods, forged crank, high volume blue-printed oil pump, Ross Racing Pistons, decked block and heads, compression ratio 9.5:1, new high-flow water-pump, rebuilt rocker arms and more. There are several pages of parts and professional machine work performed. The 4 Speed Hyrdamatic is rebuilt to withstand the racing environment too and is set up as a select shift. Old School and Really Cool. The receipts included with the engine and transmission exceed $12,000 and that was back in 2003.

Now for the "Rest of the Story" ...........When we acquired the engine, we were very pleased and excited, however the engine was not complete to run yet and needed some help cosmetically. We went about completing the engine as you now see it. Yes read that expensive too. When was the last time you saw an Edelbrock Tri-power that looks this nice. It is in perfect, restored condition and with completely and correctly rebuilt authentic Stromberg 97s ready to run.

As you probably know those Fenton Cast Headers are not easy to find and the ones on this engine came from treasured N.O.S stock! See the Hunt HEI, cloth wrapped plug wires, stainless fuel line, etc. You will notice there is no starter on the engine as pictured. We decided to include a rebuilt stock starter and a new "High Torque Mini Starter from Ross Racing Engines too. That starter is also a pricey gem at almost $400.00.

We are also including new stock motor mounts and custom made front mount that will make it easy to install in a Hot Rod too. Not counting the time we put into the engine, the upgrades added to the already impressive engine totaled $6250.00 There is zero run time on the engine and transmission. The engine is estimated to produce about 400 reliable HP.
Shelby at (253) 514-5471 ext. 253
Old August 31st, 2016, 10:27 AM

There is zero run time on the engine
Well that sounds kinda odd. You'd think they would run the engine on a dyno for proper break-in and tuning.
Old August 31st, 2016, 12:18 PM

Boy, if I were a wealthy man..!!
Old August 31st, 2016, 08:21 PM

If I had the money I'd find a car to put it into... Maybe something different and unusual like a rat rod?... Tedd
Old September 3rd, 2016, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by tedd thompson
maybe something different and unusual like a rat rod?... Tedd
:d:d