Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

Valve cover lettering

Search this Thread

Old March 3rd, 2016, 11:24 PM

Valve cover lettering

In progress to do a quick detailing on my engine compartment and came to the valve covers, after sand blasting it's ready for paint
I got the valve cover letters from Fusick but cant decide if I should go for those or do it with paint??
Any of you other guys having success with the sticker type letters?
Should I use clear coat over the letters or just use water and a heater gun and leave it?

A good surprise was when I for the first time removed the covers was the appearance of the valve train, pretty clean actually I was expecting half an inch of gunk...

/ Andreas
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Valve_cover.JPG (2.84 MB, 59 views)
Valve_train.JPG (3.85 MB, 51 views)
Old March 4th, 2016, 02:57 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I used the Fusick letters on my 54 and they have held up well. I did not clear coat them and there have been no problems. Although I did not do it, you can use soapy water to position them when you put them on. I would not use a heat gun on them unless I was removing them. I tried painting them and found out that was not my skill.
Old March 4th, 2016, 07:46 AM

I've not heard of any problems with Fusick decals, but I'd be hesitant about clearing over them.The clear sometimes don't adhere to the vinyl lettering and may peel . If you decide to go with repainting ,most sign painter's stock the One Shot lettering enamel in Primrose Yellow , which is a close match to the original,and would probably not charge too much to letter them after you get the green painted.It will only take a spoon full of paint,but if you buy a half pint of it it's 16-18 dollars ,and you would probably need a Sword Striping Brush, to letter it yourself. Larry
Old March 4th, 2016, 10:23 AM

I did the One Shot lettering over the newly painted green valve cover base coat( actually wife did the lettering) and it came out very nice. It's held up for years with no touch up and the sheen is as good as the day It was applied. I would do the same if I was to do it again... Tedd
Old March 4th, 2016, 10:37 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

A pretty knowledgeable friend of mine and a long time 54 Super 88 owner told me the factory actually used a roller to paint the lettering. For mass production it makes sense since the letters are raised. You know they didn't have somebody sit down and letter them by hand like Tedd's wife did. It really comes down to whatever works for you.
Old March 4th, 2016, 11:58 AM

Smile Valve Cover Lettering

Originally Posted by redoldsman
A pretty knowledgeable friend of mine and a long time 54 Super 88 owner told me the factory actually used a roller to paint the lettering. For mass production it makes sense since the letters are raised. You know they didn't have somebody sit down and letter them by hand like Tedd's wife did. It really comes down to whatever works for you.
I would not be surprised that they used a roller. I was at a local McDonald's before Christmas and a commercial sign painter was putting Christmas scenes on the Windows. He came out of his pocket with a 1" roller and started painting Christmas trees,mountains in the background,snowmen, and even Bible characters, all while I and several others sat there in awe. Larry
Old March 5th, 2016, 11:16 AM
74 2.8L Capri

Ok, I just did this. All it takes is a little patience, and not a lot of skill. I actually did this with the covers on the engine. However, the rest of the front end was off.

Go to Home Depot, and get the high end blue painters masking tape. The 3M stuff that is expensive, and says it does not bleed. Then across the aisle, Rustoleum has a color very close to the original yellow. The only one there.

Cover the whole area of the rocker cover in the blue masking tape. Then take an exacto knife and carefully cut out the raised letters on the rocker cover. It's easier than it sounds. Good light is crucial. Peel the letters off, 2 coats of Rustoleum, wait 24 hrs, peel the masking tape.

Some touch up will be necessary, some bleeding will occur, but it will look very good.

Last edited by DFitz; March 5th, 2016 at 11:34 AM.
Old March 16th, 2016, 12:48 AM

Thanks for all feedback, the fever knocked me out for a good week but know things starts to happen again.
I ended up with the letter from Fusick and no clear, happy with the outcome.

For this season the engine bay look a little more decent with restored valve covers and a rebuild PS pump, still a lot more to wish for but after some years it might be finalized....

/ Andreas
Attached Images
Valve_cover_painted.JPG (2.71 MB, 18 views)
Valve_cover_striped.JPG (2.78 MB, 24 views)
Old March 16th, 2016, 12:57 AM
same but different

Originally Posted by Andreas.Johansson
Thanks for all feedback, the fever knocked me out for a good week but know things starts to happen again.
I ended up with the letter from Fusick and no clear, happy with the outcome.

For this season the engine bay look a little more decent with restored valve covers and a rebuild PS pump, still a lot more to wish for but after some years it might be finalized....

/ Andreas
That looks very nice. Good luck with your projects. Hope you're feeling better.
Old March 18th, 2016, 03:33 PM

Looks really good Andreas...I wish my valve train had looked as clean as yours.
Attached Images
IMG_20160314_112937.jpg (2.22 MB, 17 views)