Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

Steering worm Series 76 -42

Search this Thread

Old February 12th, 2013, 06:53 AM

Steering worm Series 76 -42

I'm new here so I don't know if this is the right place to post this. I'm also from sweden so I might write a little strange.

But, I have an Oldsmobile series 76 -42 that I'm restoring and I found out that I need a new worm to the steering gear. So I wonder if anyone in here know were I can find a new worm?

/ Viktor
Old February 13th, 2013, 04:40 PM

Been looking around have not found anything yet. I'll keep looking as I have time
Old February 14th, 2013, 11:09 AM

Thank you! I have found this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Steering...cc2084&vxp=mtr

But I don't know if it fits?
Old February 14th, 2013, 12:21 PM

http://www.powersteering.com/

Maybe he can help?
Old March 3rd, 2013, 01:45 PM

I still haven't find any steering worm, so I wonder if there is any scrapyards in USA that I can contact to see if they have any parts to my car? Here in Sweden we have sites with parts from junkyards all over the country, is there any thing similar in the USA?
Old March 3rd, 2013, 10:15 PM

Did you try the www.powersteering.com/ that was recommended? If not, it may be your best bet. If they can fix it you get the gear you sent rebuilt

The problem with getting a steering worm from a junkyard is that it may not be any better than yours and it might not be the correct one. Our junkyards are typically staffed with unmotivated, under-educated people who might not know whether a steering worm was like new or worn out. If they sent you the wrong thing it would be difficult to return or exchange.

We have quite a few junkyards in the USA for cars but not too many for older cars. Most of them have been pretty well picked over for parts and then the yards crush them and sell for scrap metal prices. Here is one 1946 in a wrecking yard in Puyallup, Washington State. It is on craigs list: http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/ctd/3576287783.html They don't say nor does the picture show if it is 70 or 90 series. You could email and see if he responds.

Here is what interchanges among steering assemblies according to my Hollander Interchange Manual:
1940 Olds Series 90 8 cylinder engine
1941-48 Olds Series 76 6 cylinder engine and 8 cylinder engine
1941 Olds Series 90 both 6 and 8 cylinder engines.
GM Parts number for that steering gear assembly was reported to be 267956
No other make of car interchanges according to the Manual.
Old March 4th, 2013, 10:46 AM

Yes I have sent a mail to powersteering.com but they couldn't help me!

I can't see the car on the link that you posted, it says ''This posting has expired.

(The title on the listings page will be removed in just a few minutes.)''

Whats wrong?

I didn't understand the last thing you wrote. Do you mean that the worm from any of those cars and model years fits in my car?
Old March 4th, 2013, 11:46 AM

Hi Viktor, Too bad the powersteering.com could not help you. It appears you are going to have to try used parts to find what you want.

Regarding the link to craigs list: it must have expired and has not been relisted. Possibly he sold all the parts he could from the car and had it crushed and sold for scrap. You will have to do what I do and just keep looking almost every night on lists like ebay, also on this site including this thread and the parts for sale. You can also list the steering worm under parts wanted. Those who hot rod the 46-48 Oldsmobiles usually go to a different front suspension so it is likely a stock steering box and column will show up sooner or later. The problem will be finding a good one that is not already worn out.

With regard to the last thing I wrote: Yes, all of those cars have the same steering assembly. So that 1940 Series 90 8 cylinder will have the part that will be the same as yours. All 1941 through 1948 Series 70 and Series 90 Oldsmobiles will have the same part you need.
The 1941-48 Series 60 Oldsmobiles will not have the steering assembly you want.

I know of a few more wrecking yards that have older cars and will do some looking for you as I have time. Please remind us every month or so that you are still looking.
Jerry
Old March 4th, 2013, 12:06 PM

Allright, I will keep looking. Thank you very much for your help!
Old June 9th, 2013, 05:50 AM

I just want to let you all know that my problem with the steering gear is solved! I bought a steering gear from a 1962 Pontiac and modified it and did some new holes in the frame! So if anyone have the same problem, now you know that it works with a gear from that car!
Old June 9th, 2013, 08:52 AM

Very creative. I don't think I would have thought of that solution. Glad you are on the road with your 1942 Olds.