Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

Set up the vacuum wipers, Olds 68 Sedan, 1948?

Search this Thread

Old June 24th, 2024, 04:44 AM

Question Set up the vacuum wipers, Olds 68 Sedan, 1948?

Hi!

I recently got this Oldsmobile 68 4-door, 1948, 257 cui straight 8. One of the problems I'm having is that my wipers won't work. Living in a country like Sweden where it often rains during summer that is not a hit. When activated the wipers jerk a bit, sometimes move like an inch or two, but that's it. So, I guess the vacuum is busted – hopefully, the lines are torn or something like that. But, I don't know if the lines are actually set up correctly as it is and therefore I would like to "start over" and redo all the lining, making sure all hoses are air tight. The previous owner had never cared to get the wipers to function and knew nothing about it. Several things in the engine bay seem plugged and since nothing of it has been done by yours truly, I don't know if something part of the vacuum wipers has been wrongfully plugged or not. So, what connections should the wiper-system have to be properly set up? Does anyone have a diagram or something like that to share?

Thanks!
Old June 28th, 2024, 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by solvebring
Hi!

I recently got this Oldsmobile 68 4-door, 1948, 257 cui straight 8. One of the problems I'm having is that my wipers won't work. Living in a country like Sweden where it often rains during summer that is not a hit. When activated the wipers jerk a bit, sometimes move like an inch or two, but that's it. So, I guess the vacuum is busted – hopefully, the lines are torn or something like that. But, I don't know if the lines are actually set up correctly as it is and therefore I would like to "start over" and redo all the lining, making sure all hoses are air tight. The previous owner had never cared to get the wipers to function and knew nothing about it. Several things in the engine bay seem plugged and since nothing of it has been done by yours truly, I don't know if something part of the vacuum wipers has been wrongfully plugged or not. So, what connections should the wiper-system have to be properly set up? Does anyone have a diagram or something like that to share?

Thanks!
No one who got an idea of the vacuum line order/setup for em 40's Olds with 257 cui engines?
Old June 28th, 2024, 06:02 AM
Art S

It seems odd that no one is chiming in to try and help you.
You mention that they jerk a bit which would indicate there is some function and they are not totally broke. Could you upload a few photos of your engine compartment? Maybe there's something I could see that I could help with. Also, could you show a photo of the fuel pump?
Old June 28th, 2024, 07:03 AM

on my 49 i put some atf in the vacuum motor and now they work pretty well
Old June 28th, 2024, 07:18 AM
Art S

Have you ever looked into getting the repair manual? https://www.faxonautoliterature.com/...ir-Shop-Manual
It looks like there are some original paper copies floating around out there.
Old June 29th, 2024, 05:24 AM

wipers

I have a 48 98 and here is how mine are run. I assume that you have the two sided fuel pump. The lower part is the fuel pump and the upper side is a vacuum assist pump for when the intake manifold vacuum is low such as under acceleration. See the pics . There is a steel line that runs from the intake manifold down to the forward side of the vacuum assist pump. There is a rubber hose that runs from the back side of the vacuum assist pump directly to the wiper motor.

Wiper motor

Steel line circled
Old Today, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by Supernice88
It seems odd that no one is chiming in to try and help you.
You mention that they jerk a bit which would indicate there is some function and they are not totally broke. Could you upload a few photos of your engine compartment? Maybe there's something I could see that I could help with. Also, could you show a photo of the fuel pump?
Thanks! I'll take some photos and come back.
Old Today, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by Supernice88
Have you ever looked into getting the repair manual? https://www.faxonautoliterature.com/...ir-Shop-Manual
It looks like there are some original paper copies floating around out there.
Yeah, I'd thought of that and will do that, though I'm currently a bit low on cash and have to prioritize a bit.