Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

Looking for previous owner 1947series 66 coupe flat black

Search this Thread

Old February 15th, 2016, 09:16 AM

Looking for previous owner 1947series 66 coupe flat black

Hey there,

I just introduced myzelf at the newbies.
I bought a 47 olds series 66 which is kinda built into a hotrod.
It's flatblack, has a chevy 350 engine and some more parts that are not original.
I just started working on it and trying to get all the play oput of the suspension and steering.
The kingpin needs replacement but also the tie rod ends and the steering boot.
Since it has a later style power steering column I cannot find where it comes from.
I am hoping by posting this to find the previous owner who did this build to give me some info about the shocks, brakes and steering components.
This would help me a lot finding replacement parts.
The car has been for sale on various sites. For instance this one.

http://classiccarsdb.com/oldsmobile/...-66-coupe.html

Hopefully you guys can help me find out some more info about my car

thanks
Old February 15th, 2016, 05:09 PM

Some photos of front suspension and steering box would help with diagnosis. Sounds like you are describing an original 47 Olds front suspension re. Kingpin. Does steering box look like it belongs to 47 Olds or came with the newer column? How are column and steering box connected? Detailed photos of that hookup would be helpful.

Steering wheel looks to be 70s out of some GM vehicle, most likely a passenger car since it has tilt and had column shift. Did it have key start in column? I couldn't tell from photos the seller posted except to see they used the original ignition key location. Not to overlook the obvious does the medallion on the center of the steering wheel have a particular brand name/model?

If steering box and rest of steering are 47 Olds factory stuff you could be in for a hard slog. There have been posts on the 46-48 Olds thread in Vintage Olds forum of this site with people looking for rebuilt steering box or parts to rebuild and no one seems to have them or make them. You might search that thread for steering related posts.
While you are at it there are plenty of posts on that same 46-48 thread about modernizing the front suspension for improved handling and availability of parts. Not saying you should but it is something to think about as you start to work on your project.
Good luck with it and when you get more photos please post them and keep us up to date. Everyone here likes lots of photos and documenting your build is a good thing as memory isn't infallible.
Jerry
Old February 16th, 2016, 06:09 AM

Like Jerry said, get some good photos of the suspension and steering box that are in it now and post them up. If you need stock steering box and column let me know. I have the original one out of my 47 66 Coupe I could let go.

Good luck with it. It looks like a good solid start for whatever direction you want to go with it.