Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

Finally Got Bendix Treadle Vac Fixed

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2013, 06:36 PM

Smile Finally Got Bendix Treadle Vac Fixed

Removed Unit From Car And Found Lots Of Fluid And "Gook" In Booster Housing As Well As in Master Cylinder. After Much Cleaning With Carb Cleaner,small Wire Brushes,Emery Cloth, We Honed The Walls That Were Pitted, Replace All Parts,reinstalled And Brakes No Longer Go To The Floor While Holding pedal Down For Long Periods Of Times. thanks For Everyone's Help And Advice (Rocketowner, Larry Jones)
Old May 8th, 2013, 07:57 PM

Larry, Mine was a Morane system and it also failed at the junction of the master and booster,this seems to be the weak spot( if fifty years of service deserves to be called weak). Aren't they a strange looking system from the inside? glad to see you will be back on the road.....Tedd
Old August 20th, 2013, 11:29 AM
Railroad Mike

Thumbs up Moraine and bendix brakes

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
Larry, Mine was a Morane system and it also failed at the junction of the master and booster,this seems to be the weak spot( if fifty years of service deserves to be called weak). Aren't they a strange looking system from the inside? glad to see you will be back on the road.....Tedd
I rebuilt my moraine unit and all the fixins, but the pedal was hard and no REAL brakes to speak of. Saw where Olds Dad swaped and late model master cyl and booster in place of the old unit and it worked great. I didn't replace the unit, but I did move the pedal down and to the left where it had better than the 1 to 1 ratio from the factory. My brakes NOW will stop on a dime. Just by moving the pedal and creating approx. 4 to 1 ration between the pedal and the Master cyl.. Amazing!!
Old November 11th, 2014, 12:54 PM

55miketn, could you explain in more detail just how you moved pedal down and to left? Having trouble with mine and looking for a fix. Thank you.