Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

drum brakes pulls to the left, olds -56

Search this Thread

Old July 17th, 2010, 10:20 AM

drum brakes pulls to the left, olds -56

Since all the trouble with my MC, i havenīt solved the problem i had before. My brakes where perfect before with no drags or any related problems

Since i changed the brake shoes all around the car, the car pulles to the left when i brake. I have done the following to try to help it:

I have double checked on the right side (since the car pulls to the left, i figured that the problem are on the other side) that the primary shoe are installed towards the front, an it was.

Iīve adjusted the star wheels at all four wheels according to the service manual.

i have adjusted the anchor pin on the right side, makes no difference.

Then i bledeed the breaks i thought that the flow was OK, i havenīt found any signs of any glogged hose.

One might suspect a faulty brake hose, but itīs strange that i it will break down now? it worked perfetly before?

All help are wanted, thank you!
Old July 17th, 2010, 04:25 PM

Pulls to the left

AndyBee, at any time did you get any brake fluid on the shoes? Just a little will cause your car to pull to one side. Oil will also cause this problem and it dosen't take much. Some times it can be washed with acetone but usually new shoes are in order.... Tedd
Old July 17th, 2010, 11:51 PM

Hi tedd, there is no brake fluid on the shoes, iīve took the drum off the other day, it where clean. I was carefull when i bled them, i used a hose and a towel to prevent this from happening.

Maybe itīs best to change the brake hoses and wheel cylinder on both wheels?
Old July 18th, 2010, 11:36 AM

pulls to the left

AndyBee, always good to up grade when you can, but unless you see fluid around the cylinders or lines I doubt that is your problem.I would re bleed the brakes and adjust again.... Tedd
Old July 19th, 2010, 03:57 AM

I had a pulling issue with a 68 Cutlass after installing new brakes on it. It Pulled to one side. Never had this issue before. Tried everything, looked at everything, Then I switched the left front drum to the right side and the issue went away. I realized I had accidently swapped the drums, when I was painting them..
Old July 19th, 2010, 06:47 AM

be certain the brakes are adjusted correctly. one or both of the left side could be tighter than the right.

I'm not familiar with 56 Olds brakes but if they are self energizing the short shoe goes in front.