Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

Chrome?

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2012, 10:54 AM
Jen

Chrome?

Was this Chromed before? It is now painted with some shimmery stuff. I want it chromed. Anyone have a place they recommend?

Old May 23rd, 2012, 11:36 AM

I can't tell from the pic whether or not it had been chromed or not. I can tell you, however, that I really like Advanced Plating in Nashville, Tennessee. They do awesome work . Most chrome vendors do not repair the pits and simply acid dip and sand, then chrome. Result is cr@p. Advanced makes repairs to the submitted piece and will chrome to "show" standards if requested. They are not cheap and they are not quick, but I would use them in a heart beat on any chrome project as I have personally used them in the past.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 01:38 PM
Oldsdruid

I didn't think anyone else in the world had heard of Screeching Weasel and the other two.

BOOGADABOOGADABOOGADA!

But yes, your grille bar should be chromed. I think the letters are reproduced; check with Fusick www.fusick.com . The "jet intakes" should be filled with black paint.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 03:05 PM

I just got my bumpers back from Ogden Chrome. They were great to deal with and did a very nice job.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
I didn't think anyone else in the world had heard of Screeching Weasel and the other two.

BOOGADABOOGADABOOGADA!

But yes, your grille bar should be chromed. I think the letters are reproduced; check with Fusick www.fusick.com . The "jet intakes" should be filled with black paint.
Rocketrader do you remember the jet intakes being black?I don't think mine had any paint black or otherwise on them and I can't remember seeing any in the past that were black. Just curious ...Tedd
Old May 23rd, 2012, 05:55 PM

My avatar is a S88 a few days fresh from the dealer. I have other shots showing the front and the indentations/cups were never painted black from the factory. As I recall they are stainless and should be removed and just polished, not chromed. Ogden chrome has a good rep in the musclecar circles and possibly free shipping which can be a big factor. There is also a good place in Grafton Ohio - Custom Chrome Plating that rodders and customizers use. I've seen Advanced Plating's work at Carlisle and it looks very nice. Most platers have different levels, the highest being $$$ and much better than what came from the factory - overkill unless you have a trailer queen show car.

Those diecast letters are probably cheaper to replace with repos than rechrome.
Old May 24th, 2012, 03:10 AM
Oldsdruid

Guess I was thinking 52-54...
Old May 24th, 2012, 07:29 AM

You had me for awhile, until I dug out pics. I'm getting over the hill to where stuff sort of runs together
Old May 24th, 2012, 08:13 AM
Jen

Screeching Weasel--in my top ten favorite bands!

Originally Posted by rocketraider

BOOGADABOOGADABOOGADA!

Old May 24th, 2012, 08:17 AM
Jen

Thanks everyone! I contacted a few of the places suggested. Ogden said they would pay shipping to take a look at it and give me a quote. This will be a slow process due to funding. I also want shiny bumpers as opposed to my painted ones. First things first though. I ordered the second rocker arm assembly, missing bolts and a spin on oil kit today! Then, after recovering financially, will move on to the grille and bumpers. I also want to do the dual exhaust this summer. Good thing my dad likes me. I only work part time and have an expensive hobby. He is flying back here to help me get her back together in two weeks.

Originally Posted by Russ P in MD
My avatar is a S88 a few days fresh from the dealer. I have other shots showing the front and the indentations/cups were never painted black from the factory. As I recall they are stainless and should be removed and just polished, not chromed. Ogden chrome has a good rep in the musclecar circles and possibly free shipping which can be a big factor. There is also a good place in Grafton Ohio - Custom Chrome Plating that rodders and customizers use. I've seen Advanced Plating's work at Carlisle and it looks very nice. Most platers have different levels, the highest being $$$ and much better than what came from the factory - overkill unless you have a trailer queen show car.

Those diecast letters are probably cheaper to replace with repos than rechrome.
Old May 24th, 2012, 09:17 AM
Railroad Mike

The grill bar is supposed to be chromed as other have said. I live in Nashville and Advanced Plating does a GREAT job! Don't have any idea of what it may cost. Also, if anyone has any chrome trim for a '55 4-door sedan super 88, I have a friend looking for some. Part of his got lost while getting painted. Thanks!
Old May 24th, 2012, 09:20 AM
Jen

Thanks! I am from Kentucky and make the drive home every Summer through Nashville (one of my favorite cities) so that is also a possibility.
Old June 25th, 2012, 06:35 PM
Collector of Stray 55's

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
Rocketrader do you remember the jet intakes being black?I don't think mine had any paint black or otherwise on them and I can't remember seeing any in the past that were black. Just curious ...Tedd
"Intakes" on the '54s are black, not on '55 - should be polished & as shiny as the rest of that beautiful nose
Old June 26th, 2012, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Olds Dad
"Intakes" on the '54s are black, not on '55 - should be polished & as shiny as the rest of that beautiful nose
Yep, since the last post I've been looking at every 55 -54 I could find and two 54's had black intakes on them something that I had missed or lost the memory of( happens more and more latley)...Tedd
Old July 1st, 2012, 09:09 AM

I am in the process of having all of the chrome redone for my '49 88. So far the bumpers and several smaller pieces are done. The grille and rear fender spears are in the shop now.
I use 'Vern's Plating' in El Segundo... They do first class work. They are a little pricey, however, they are one of the few chrome plating shops in So Cal that still can triple plate, ie; copper, nickle and chrome....Bill
Old July 23rd, 2012, 07:36 PM

I don't know much about chroming but there's actually an alternative to it. And in my personal opinion better than chrome especially if you want customization. Try carid.com.
Old July 30th, 2012, 08:28 AM
Jen

Now that we are put all back together and nice and neat under the hood, with one more issue to work out, I can soon start focusing again on getting pretty on the outside....and that pesky transmission leak.
Old July 30th, 2012, 08:58 PM

Jen,

Good to see you are about to be out and about with a shiny nose, the car I mean.
I know what you mean when you say pesky transmission, mine is not the transmission but the rear main seal, been a problem since it was rebuilt, had a new one replaced and it leaks as bad as the first.one. I may just learn how to paper train it and live with it...See you in the fifties....Tedd
Old August 3rd, 2012, 05:02 AM
Collector of Stray 55's

Tedd,

Look at post #52 - I wonder if this is the problem with your rear main? Seems like something that even a 'good' shop could overlook if they're not familiar with early Olds.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=715390
Old August 3rd, 2012, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Olds Dad
Tedd,

Look at post #52 - I wonder if this is the problem with your rear main? Seems like something that even a 'good' shop could overlook if they're not familiar with early Olds.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=715390
Very interesting !, I'm going to have to check with the guy who re did my rear main( he also did the original build) and see if he remembers or knows about those two cork gaskets. Thanks Gorden....Tedd