Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

Best/correct clock?

Search this Thread

Old February 15th, 2021, 05:28 PM

Best/correct clock?

I’ve got a 1949 Olds 88 convertible. I believe it came stick with a Westclox dash clock. At least that’s what’s in there now. The contact points are worn out and it needs service or replacement. I hit up eBay and discovered Geo.W.Borg also made clocks for the Olds. Super similar, but different enough.
Any opinion on which is better or which is “right” for me? Was it a crap shoot as to which one would come with a given car in the same model year?
Old February 15th, 2021, 08:27 PM

I think we have come across this in the mid fifties cars and as far as I know it's a crap shoot which one will come in a certain model or trim line. This maybe a location thing related to which clock company the assembly line is closer. just a guess....Tedd
Old February 16th, 2021, 06:00 AM
Frank Ignachuck

I agree with Tedd. Throughout that era, both Westclox and Borg made clocks for Oldsmobile. For my '56, I have a couple of each, all restored. My opinion is that Borg is/was a better clock. Easier to take apart and better performance.
Old February 16th, 2021, 12:38 PM

Thanks guys. I was able to get my Westclox running a couple months ago. It ticked flawlessly for a while then gave up the ghost. those contact points are just worn out. I took your advice and went looking for a Borg clock. I found one that works! here's hoping for another 71 years!! hahaha
Nathan
Old February 16th, 2021, 02:23 PM
Frank Ignachuck

I really like those old clocks. I like the way they wind down and get a jolt and start right back up again. Just like me and an afternoon nap! Last summer I bought a little 12 volt battery and keep a clock on the shelf at my work bench. You can also hook it to a battery tender.
Old February 16th, 2021, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by ignachuck
I really like those old clocks. I like the way they wind down and get a jolt and start right back up again. Just like me and an afternoon nap! Last summer I bought a little 12 volt battery and keep a clock on the shelf at my work bench. You can also hook it to a battery tender.
I couldn’t agree more! Even “broken”, it’s better made than anything today. Absolutely fascinating!!
Old February 16th, 2021, 03:04 PM
Frank Ignachuck

I forgot to mention that it would cost you $100. to get that Westclox reconditioned. I have the repair shop info, if needed.
Old February 16th, 2021, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by ignachuck
I forgot to mention that it would cost you $100. to get that Westclox reconditioned. I have the repair shop info, if needed.
RATS! Haha! I just spent nearly that amount to buy the used “working” Borg clock. I’d love to have the repair into if you’ve got it. Nice to have that resource just in case.
Old February 17th, 2021, 03:23 AM
Frank Ignachuck

Send a note to Jerry Magayne at The Clock Works in Wisconsin. info@clockwrks.com

Jerry has restored six (all different) clocks for me through the years and he is fast and his work is excellent. Several of us on this site have used his service.

http://www.clockwks.com/The_Clock_Worx.html
Old February 17th, 2021, 05:25 AM

My 1950 98 deluxe came with the wexclox also and had the original tag on it. I opened it up. Lubricated and brought back to life. Works great. My car was purchased as original survivor. I have a second clock the seller had with the housing for dash that I also got to work and plan to sell or make into a desk clock if I can figure out a power source. I think a 6v 2 amp ac/dc adaptor should work.