Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

all 56 owners ck in

Old April 11th, 2010, 08:14 AM
  #1  
1956 holiday coupe
Thread Starter
 
hialeah56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Hialeah, Fl
Posts: 528
all 56 owners ck in

I've noticed that there's been an increase in 56 owners coming on here to C.O. Lets make a thread, we all have questions that others may have experienced already. BTW I'm Erit and here's my girl
hialeah56 is offline  
Old April 11th, 2010, 10:29 PM
  #2  
Registered User
 
jaymann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Nanaimo BC Canada
Posts: 129
I've been following the amazing build of your car. I wish I could take mine to that level, but for now I`ll be happy to get it on the road.

Mine's a 4 door Super 88. I'll post a picture when I get a chance.
This site is by far the best source of info for these cars! I've learned so much just searching the forums.
jaymann is offline  
Old April 12th, 2010, 04:39 PM
  #3  
1956 holiday coupe
Thread Starter
 
hialeah56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Hialeah, Fl
Posts: 528
Originally Posted by jaymann View Post
I've been following the amazing build of your car. I wish I could take mine to that level, but for now I`ll be happy to get it on the road.

Mine's a 4 door Super 88. I'll post a picture when I get a chance.
This site is by far the best source of info for these cars! I've learned so much just searching the forums.
Thanks Jaymann, hopefully this thread will catch on and will be the only place to go for 56 info.
hialeah56 is offline  
Old April 12th, 2010, 09:41 PM
  #4  
Registered User
 
jaymann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Nanaimo BC Canada
Posts: 129
Well, I hope it does catch on. It would be great to focus all the questions and answers in one spot.
I'm not very familiar with cars of this vintage so I've got lots of questions.

Here's a question for you... do the turn signals cancel themselves after a turn like modern cars or do you have to manually shut them off after signaling?

Also, the signal indicator lights on the dash, are they both supposed to flash when you signal or should only the left flash when the left signal is on and vice versa for the right.
Both mine flash when I signal in either direction. seems odd to me
jaymann is offline  
Old April 13th, 2010, 10:31 AM
  #5  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: sweden
Posts: 27
turn signal

Hey everybody, really dig the idea of a 56´olds, they are the most beutiful olds ever made in my opinion. I you search my nick you´ll find info about my ride.

Jaymann: the turn signal goes back automatically, and the turn signal only blinks on the side where you turn the lever at. The malfunction you describe happened to on my prev car a ´66 satellite, it was a ground error and/or a faulty relay, i don´t quite remember.
AndyBee is offline  
Old April 21st, 2010, 07:31 AM
  #6  
1956 holiday coupe
Thread Starter
 
hialeah56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Hialeah, Fl
Posts: 528
ck out this 56 flower car


hialeah56 is offline  
Old April 21st, 2010, 10:59 AM
  #7  
Registered User
 
citcapp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Rathdrum, Idano
Posts: 9,127
Looks like it was a hears at one time because of the length and high roof line. Makes one ugly pick up
citcapp is offline  
Old April 21st, 2010, 01:43 PM
  #8  
1956 holiday coupe
Thread Starter
 
hialeah56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Hialeah, Fl
Posts: 528
yeah it was a flower car, they were used to carry the flowers for the funeral
hialeah56 is offline  
Old April 25th, 2010, 06:49 AM
  #9  
Registered User
 
56TuTone88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 17
I have a 56 Super 88. The funny thing is,when I found this car, I was looking for a 55 Pointac Starchief





So far I have put in new exhaust from motor back, new king pins, new steering box, new brakes, tires, tune up, harmonic balancer, new bumpers, and a new front clip. I have replacement for nearly all of the chrome trim with the exeption of the rocket 88 on the trunk. I have original spinner hubcaps. The stainless is perfect, so I don't need that. I have about 7,000 to 8,000 invested.

I was going to install power windows, power seats, power Antenna, and AC. Following that, would have been fixing the leaky transmissioin, and engine seal. After that, would have been painting, and replacing all the chrome trim, but a stroke, two heart attacks, and a house fire that left me severly handicapped, and on SSI ended this and my other two projects.

Since this is the only one of the three that acutally runs, sadly, my only option is to just drive it until it dies which won't be all that long as badly as it's leaking. None the less, I will enjoy it for as long as I can. I just love this car,. and it breaks my heart to no end just letting it deteriorate.

My other project is a 63 Olds 98 Sport Coupe. That was the last one that I bought just before my life as I knew it ended.







The third one is a 64 Buick Wildcat Convertible, I am the second owner of this car, and have te original title from the dealer dated August of 1964, along with the original protect-o-plate service booklet, and paperwork. I have been collecting parts and options for 6 years. with one or two execptions, I have literally, every optioin available for a 64 Wildcat, and have over 10,000 invested, and it's just a pile of parts.

Jim.
56TuTone88 is offline  
Old April 25th, 2010, 07:39 AM
  #10  
1956 holiday coupe
Thread Starter
 
hialeah56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Hialeah, Fl
Posts: 528
Originally Posted by 56TuTone88 View Post
I have a 56 Super 88. The funny thing is,when I found this car, I was looking for a 55 Pointac Starchief





So far I have put in new exhaust from motor back, new king pins, new steering box, new brakes, tires, tune up, harmonic balancer, new bumpers, and a new front clip. I have replacement for nearly all of the chrome trim with the exeption of the rocket 88 on the trunk. I have original spinner hubcaps. The stainless is perfect, so I don't need that. I have about 7,000 to 8,000 invested.

I was going to install power windows, power seats, power Antenna, and AC. Following that, would have been fixing the leaky transmissioin, and engine seal. After that, would have been painting, and replacing all the chrome trim, but a stroke, two heart attacks, and a house fire that left me severly handicapped, and on SSI ended this and my other two projects.

Since this is the only one of the three that acutally runs, sadly, my only option is to just drive it until it dies which won't be all that long as badly as it's leaking. None the less, I will enjoy it for as long as I can. I just love this car,. and it breaks my heart to no end just letting it deteriorate.

My other project is a 63 Olds 98 Sport Coupe. That was the last one that I bought just before my life as I knew it ended.







The third one is a 64 Buick Wildcat Convertible, I am the second owner of this car, and have te original title from the dealer dated August of 1964, along with the original protect-o-plate service booklet, and paperwork. I have been collecting parts and options for 6 years. with one or two execptions, I have literally, every optioin available for a 64 Wildcat, and have over 10,000 invested, and it's just a pile of parts.

Jim.
nice set of projects, sorry to hear about your situation though
hialeah56 is offline  
Old May 4th, 2010, 05:49 AM
  #11  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Winnipeg,MB
Posts: 20
Hi,
good idea with the '56 check in here..
bought mine as a fixer upper and spare for the time i fix my impala...turned out as it always does,the fixing took much longer than i expected...but got her on the road.still has the'56 324 in it.it still needs some work done but it won't be a full blown resto.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
oldsmm.jpg (66.2 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg
oldsm 56.jpg (80.8 KB, 43 views)
euroman1 is offline  
Old May 4th, 2010, 01:40 PM
  #12  
Registered User
 
hotrodj54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: conn.
Posts: 118
56 olds

here is my contribution, the first pic is when i got it a year ago, the last pic was taken in october. alot has changed since oct. but i dont have any new pics.since these pics.. there is a brand new windshield, the rear is lowered 2 inches and it has skirts, plus about a million new mechanical things ...............................john
hotrodj54 is offline  
Old May 4th, 2010, 02:32 PM
  #13  
1956 holiday coupe
Thread Starter
 
hialeah56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Hialeah, Fl
Posts: 528
Originally Posted by euroman1 View Post
Hi,
good idea with the '56 check in here..
bought mine as a fixer upper and spare for the time i fix my impala...turned out as it always does,the fixing took much longer than i expected...but got her on the road.still has the'56 324 in it.it still needs some work done but it won't be a full blown resto.
nice 56, what year impala do you have?
hialeah56 is offline  
Old May 4th, 2010, 02:34 PM
  #14  
1956 holiday coupe
Thread Starter
 
hialeah56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Hialeah, Fl
Posts: 528
Originally Posted by hotrodj54 View Post
here is my contribution, the first pic is when i got it a year ago, the last pic was taken in october. alot has changed since oct. but i dont have any new pics.since these pics.. there is a brand new windshield, the rear is lowered 2 inches and it has skirts, plus about a million new mechanical things ...............................john
Niceee, about time you show me pics of the old girl
hialeah56 is offline  
Old May 4th, 2010, 08:00 PM
  #15  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Winnipeg,MB
Posts: 20
Originally Posted by hialeah56 View Post
Nice 56, what year impala do you have?
'64
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
impala 5.jpg (66.9 KB, 30 views)
euroman1 is offline  
Old May 4th, 2010, 09:05 PM
  #16  
1956 holiday coupe
Thread Starter
 
hialeah56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Hialeah, Fl
Posts: 528
Originally Posted by euroman1 View Post
'64
cool, I have a great appeciation for impalas. I use to have a 66 impala ss, that was my first attempt at fixing a classic car.
sorry for the bad pics(they are scanned) this was prior to the greatest invention the digital camera


and the only picture I have of it painted next to my brother's 48 plymouth

Last edited by hialeah56; May 4th, 2010 at 09:07 PM. Reason: added text
hialeah56 is offline  
Old May 6th, 2010, 08:19 AM
  #17  
Registered User
 
hotrodj54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: conn.
Posts: 118
56 olds

Originally Posted by hialeah56 View Post
Niceee, about time you show me pics of the old girl
lol i know, i dont really have any good pics of it in the state its in, i should go take some........................john
hotrodj54 is offline  
Old May 7th, 2010, 02:50 PM
  #18  
1956 holiday coupe
Thread Starter
 
hialeah56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Hialeah, Fl
Posts: 528
Originally Posted by hotrodj54 View Post
lol i know, i dont really have any good pics of it in the state its in, i should go take some........................john
Only reason I take a bunch of pictures of my car and parts is to remember how to put it back together, so I share a few with you guys
hialeah56 is offline  
Old May 7th, 2010, 08:05 PM
  #19  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Winnipeg,MB
Posts: 20
Originally Posted by hialeah56 View Post
cool, I have a great appeciation for impalas. I use to have a 66 impala ss, that was my first attempt at fixing a classic car.
sorry for the bad pics(they are scanned) this was prior to the greatest invention the digital camera

nice ride! i like the big fastbacks...
euroman1 is offline  
Old May 8th, 2010, 09:31 AM
  #20  
Registered User
 
hotrodj54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: conn.
Posts: 118
56 olds

Originally Posted by hialeah56 View Post
Only reason I take a bunch of pictures of my car and parts is to remember how to put it back together, so I share a few with you guys
i usually do that but since i havent been working on the car, just driving it i have snaped any shots.....lol one of these days ill take some more..........john
hotrodj54 is offline  
Old July 13th, 2010, 06:08 AM
  #21  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Winnipeg,MB
Posts: 20
so,i had a bit time left over and played around with the olds..i think it looks much better now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
oldsmm.jpg (66.2 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg
mmmn.jpg (81.4 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg
bbbn.jpg (91.9 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg
nnnv.jpg (110.1 KB, 44 views)
euroman1 is offline  
Old July 13th, 2010, 12:41 PM
  #22  
Registered User
 
hotrodj54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: conn.
Posts: 118
here are some current pics...................john
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Nadeen 001.jpg (66.4 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg
Nadeen 002.jpg (95.3 KB, 42 views)
hotrodj54 is offline  
Old July 13th, 2010, 01:09 PM
  #23  
Registered User
 
jaymann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Nanaimo BC Canada
Posts: 129
here's a recent shot of mine


Last edited by jaymann; July 13th, 2010 at 01:11 PM.
jaymann is offline  
Old July 17th, 2010, 01:05 PM
  #24  
1956 holiday coupe
Thread Starter
 
hialeah56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Hialeah, Fl
Posts: 528
Originally Posted by euroman1 View Post
so,i had a bit time left over and played around with the olds..i think it looks much better now.
Originally Posted by hotrodj54 View Post
here are some current pics...................john
Originally Posted by jaymann View Post
here's a recent shot of mine

keep posting those beautiful OLDSSSS!!!!
hialeah56 is offline  
Old July 17th, 2010, 04:39 PM
  #25  
1956 holiday coupe
Thread Starter
 
hialeah56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Hialeah, Fl
Posts: 528
does anybody have a factory style antenna? I need a good picture of the plastic nut and gasket area. Also if anyone wants to sell one let me know
hialeah56 is offline  
Old August 3rd, 2010, 08:15 AM
  #26  
Registered User
 
ShaunM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 67
Sorry I just now caught this thread, here's my 56 88. I am pretty cartarded and don't have much time so I really haven't done too much to it yet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCF0991.jpg (68.5 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg
DSCF0992.jpg (60.8 KB, 35 views)
ShaunM is offline  
Old August 3rd, 2010, 08:59 AM
  #27  
1956 holiday coupe
Thread Starter
 
hialeah56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Hialeah, Fl
Posts: 528
Originally Posted by ShaunM View Post
Sorry I just now caught this thread, here's my 56 88. I am pretty cartarded and don't have much time so I really haven't done too much to it yet.
all with time, nice 56
hialeah56 is offline  
Old August 3rd, 2010, 03:33 PM
  #28  
Registered User
 
56oldsnub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 145
great idea for a thread.....I've got a couple of 56 98's....a sedan and a hardtop...both 4 drs since I like hauling my buddies around with me.....both are being torn down and rebuilt (when I can find the time). I'm debating rebuilding both, or using both cars to make one sweet custom. I'll keep you posted.
56oldsnub is offline  
Old August 4th, 2010, 09:18 AM
  #29  
1956 holiday coupe
Thread Starter
 
hialeah56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Hialeah, Fl
Posts: 528
Originally Posted by 56oldsnub View Post
great idea for a thread.....I've got a couple of 56 98's....a sedan and a hardtop...both 4 drs since I like hauling my buddies around with me.....both are being torn down and rebuilt (when I can find the time). I'm debating rebuilding both, or using both cars to make one sweet custom. I'll keep you posted.
Hey Bret,
I wanted to ask you how much custom? Are we talking chopped roofs and crazy modifications or just a mild one?
check these out from mild to wild








hialeah56 is offline  
Old August 4th, 2010, 09:26 AM
  #30  
1956 holiday coupe
Thread Starter
 
hialeah56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Hialeah, Fl
Posts: 528
or my favorite so far check this one out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MYDn...ature=youtu.be
hialeah56 is offline  
Old August 5th, 2010, 07:27 AM
  #31  
Registered User
 
56oldsnub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 145
Erit,
Nothing too wild....if you take your 3rd picture down (the blue & white) that is one of the photos I've got hanging in the garage....I'm thinking lower about 3 inches, shave the door handles, deck it, and removing some trim...probably not going to chop the roof as I think it has some pretty nice lines to begin with...The only big custom I thinking is I've got an idea I think would be cool for the rear. I've never been a big fan of the lower back up lights on the 56's so I was thinking of removing them and cutting/welding the sheet metal to follow the contour and then replace the rear bumper with the bottom half of a front bumper off of a 56 and tweaking the sheet metal to work with it in the rear.....sounds strange, but next time your looking at the front of your car, take a look at the bumper...imagine just the bottom half with the turn signal lights now acting as back up lights.....not sure if I'm explaining it properly....It looks cool in my head...
56oldsnub is offline  
Old August 5th, 2010, 07:34 AM
  #32  
Registered User
 
56oldsnub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 145
Here's some more customs I like...
I'm a fan of the black & white one
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
2387166263_62b79c2558_o.jpg (58.1 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg
2508154407_d29f52869e_o.jpg (60.0 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg
auto186.jpg (52.5 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg
ggkc824.jpg (40.2 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg
2421963762_e6229333ca_o.jpg (289.8 KB, 74 views)
56oldsnub is offline  
Old August 5th, 2010, 09:07 AM
  #33  
1956 holiday coupe
Thread Starter
 
hialeah56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Hialeah, Fl
Posts: 528
that's funny that's the one that gave me the idea for my colors




had also done the one you posted with the billet grill but don't know where is at now

Last edited by hialeah56; August 5th, 2010 at 09:09 AM.
hialeah56 is offline  
Old August 5th, 2010, 09:28 AM
  #34  
Registered User
 
56oldsnub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 145
nice....did you use photoshop? I like the cruiser skirts on that one...I'm going to try to make them work with the 4dr
56oldsnub is offline  
Old August 5th, 2010, 10:24 AM
  #35  
1956 holiday coupe
Thread Starter
 
hialeah56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Hialeah, Fl
Posts: 528
Originally Posted by 56oldsnub View Post
nice....did you use photoshop? I like the cruiser skirts on that one...I'm going to try to make them work with the 4dr
na, just regular windows paint
btw, I think they'll look good, I have a link if you don't know where to find them. I was thinking of installing lakepipes like those and a continental kit like this one but with an open face with a hubcap
hialeah56 is offline  
Old August 5th, 2010, 11:48 AM
  #36  
Registered User
 
56oldsnub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 145
yeah I've looked at the continental kits too....if you get one be sure to post some pics of your install...

I like the look of the lake pipes...I like how they enclosed the front of the pipes on the blue/white car...might have to copy that
56oldsnub is offline  
Old August 5th, 2010, 06:18 PM
  #37  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: MidWest
Posts: 419
Thumbs up I'm lucky enough to have a '56 Holiday 88 2-Dr HrdTop!

Hi All!
GREAT idea for this thread! I've got a '56 88 2-Dr Hardtop; bought it 10 Years Ago in fact! (Been a Decade of FUN!! : >) I just realized, all I"ve done to this car since I bought it is DRIVE IT and ENJOY it!! I mean, I did Oil & Filter Changes regularly of course and flushed the Radiator once; reminds me i really SHOULD do that again SOON but I just LOVE this car! it's awesome!

It's Turquiose and White w/ black and white interior. NO P/S, or P/B and no A/C but I still LOVE to drive it. (A buddy near me has a '56 88 4 Dr Sedan; VERY Nice low mileage original; I'll have to tell him about this Forum and get him to join us and post pics! )

I'm TERRIBLE about pics; I don't even own a Digital Camera! LOL! I USED to love taking 35 MM shots all the time, but I'm just not into the Digitals but I KNOW I need to work on that AND get some pics posted on this Forum!

Take care,\\

John
NorTown Olds is offline  
Old August 5th, 2010, 09:24 PM
  #38  
Registered User
 
56oldsnub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 145
Welcome John
i wish I could be driving mine...but when I got the first 98 in 2006 (for $1) all the rubber bushings had rotted away, and it had been sitting since 1979, so I opted to restore it....then I got the opportunity to pick up a second 98 (cooler hardtop model) but it was missing the tranny & motor....so now I'm tearing them both down and restoring/customizing at least one of them...
56oldsnub is offline  
Old August 5th, 2010, 11:08 PM
  #39  
1956 holiday coupe
Thread Starter
 
hialeah56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Hialeah, Fl
Posts: 528
Originally Posted by NorTown Olds View Post
Hi All!
GREAT idea for this thread! I've got a '56 88 2-Dr Hardtop; bought it 10 Years Ago in fact! (Been a Decade of FUN!! : >) I just realized, all I"ve done to this car since I bought it is DRIVE IT and ENJOY it!! I mean, I did Oil & Filter Changes regularly of course and flushed the Radiator once; reminds me i really SHOULD do that again SOON but I just LOVE this car! it's awesome!

It's Turquiose and White w/ black and white interior. NO P/S, or P/B and no A/C but I still LOVE to drive it. (A buddy near me has a '56 88 4 Dr Sedan; VERY Nice low mileage original; I'll have to tell him about this Forum and get him to join us and post pics! )

I'm TERRIBLE about pics; I don't even own a Digital Camera! LOL! I USED to love taking 35 MM shots all the time, but I'm just not into the Digitals but I KNOW I need to work on that AND get some pics posted on this Forum!

Take care,\\

John
Awesome wish I could say the same, mine was a rust bucket. BTW John, I wasn't all for digitals until I bought mine. I love the freedom of going thru my pictures before leaving a place that you may never see again or a vehicle knowing I got a great one to remember it by. 35mms were great but once you go digital you'll never look back


Originally Posted by 56oldsnub View Post
yeah I've looked at the continental kits too....if you get one be sure to post some pics of your install...

I like the look of the lake pipes...I like how they enclosed the front of the pipes on the blue/white car...might have to copy that
Yeah that's in my to do list but it's wayyyy down there. For some reason it keeps getting longer than shorter.

Last edited by hialeah56; August 5th, 2010 at 11:33 PM. Reason: added text
hialeah56 is offline  
Old August 9th, 2010, 06:05 PM
  #40  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: MidWest
Posts: 419
Thumbs up Yeah, I hear ya on Digital for sure! : >

Thanks guys! I agree; my problem is i hate shopping and there's always way too many choices and I'll narrow it down to a few cameras and then they'll come out w/ an even better one! LOL! (I'm like the Steve McQueen character in his great movie 'The Bounty Hunter' LOL~! "I DON'T like new stuff! New stuff is no good!..." )
VERY NICE '56s though guys! keep up the great work!
NorTown Olds is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: all 56 owners ck in


Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.