Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

55 Olds "Guide" spotlight

Search this Thread

Old August 2nd, 2009, 09:26 AM

55 Olds "Guide" spotlight

Hi, I have a 55 Super 88 Holiday Hardtop and have managed to find the correct Guide spotlight with all brackets etc.
Does anybody have a copy of the template for fitting the light or some photos of one already fitted please.
Old August 2nd, 2009, 09:47 AM

Welcome to the site

A while back there was a posting on installing a spot light on a 56 Olds which I think is similar to yours. I look around and see if I can find it.
In the meantime I will copy this to the vintage Olds forum for more coverage of your year of Olds
Old August 6th, 2009, 05:53 PM
1956 holiday coupe

Originally Posted by 55jes
Hi, I have a 55 Super 88 Holiday Hardtop and have managed to find the correct Guide spotlight with all brackets etc.
Does anybody have a copy of the template for fitting the light or some photos of one already fitted please.
check unityusa.com they have the correct brackets and spotlights as for templates you would have to get in contact with them. Don't know if the would have that
Old August 27th, 2009, 09:37 PM

[quote] check unityusa.com they have the correct brackets and spotlights as for templates you would have to get in contact with them. Don't know if the would have that_____________
fng
----------------------------

unityusa seems like a good lead for spotlights. Their website is not the greatest when it comes to getting around within it - but the site seems to carry a decent product.

I have been interested in a spotlight, possibly two for my car. They sure make a car stand out and provide an almost unique detail. It looks like the installation kit is sold separate for about $60. The spotlight is about $250.

Not being versed in body work myself, what's the level of difficulty to install a spotlight...in your opinion, how many experienced man-hours to install one from scratch?

Last edited by Dan Wirth; August 27th, 2009 at 09:52 PM.
Old January 25th, 2010, 04:48 PM
1956 holiday coupe

[quote=Dan Wirth;103749]
check unityusa.com they have the correct brackets and spotlights as for templates you would have to get in contact with them. Don't know if the would have that_____________
fng
----------------------------

unityusa seems like a good lead for spotlights. Their website is not the greatest when it comes to getting around within it - but the site seems to carry a decent product.

I have been interested in a spotlight, possibly two for my car. They sure make a car stand out and provide an almost unique detail. It looks like the installation kit is sold separate for about $60. The spotlight is about $250.

Not being versed in body work myself, what's the level of difficulty to install a spotlight...in your opinion, how many experienced man-hours to install one from scratch?
I wouldn't know what to tell you, I got lucky, my car had both holes drilled when I got it. I just had to push them in and bolt them down. btw sorry for the super late response haven't been on here for a while
Old December 7th, 2014, 05:04 PM

1954, 1955, 1956 pair of Unity Spotlight-Mirror Combination - matched pair

I'd like to revive this thread, hoping one of youse guys who are in to keeping these monsters alive will put them back into circulation.

I’m an old Lincoln guy (1960 Lincoln Breezeway), but I know the trouble of finding period correct accessories for these old cars – especially genuine pieces.

About 4 years ago, I saw a matching pair of genuine Unity combination spotlights and mirrors for mid-50s Buicks or Olds, so I bought them and stored them away. I always figured that I would someday get a mid-50s big Buick or Olds, so these would come in handy.

I paid over $120 for them several years ago. They are really cool.They are period correct and are the real thing and not a Chinese aftermarket repro.

They were made specifically for Olds by Unity, and have 3-hole mounting brackets that fit ONLY 1954-1956 Oldsmobiles, all models (they also fit 1954 and 1955 Buick Special and Century models).

They are doubly unique in that they ALSO have rearview mirrors mounted on them – they are not just Unity spotlights.

Well, we’re having to downsize (retirement), and I’m getting rid of parts that have accumulated in my garage attic, and I have this matching pair for sale for $80 plus you pay shipping.So, if you’re interested in this pretty rare set, check out the ad in the Parts section of this forum.

While the spots can be fit to other cars (using different brackets), it’s these specialized mounting brackets that make these unique, and I’d really like someone who has a 54-56 Olds (or Buick) to keep them “in the family” – so I think the price is really reasonable.

I think they are a fairly easy rebuild, especially for guys who know about old cars and work on them.

Thanks.