Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

49 olds 88 coupe

Search this Thread

Old July 28th, 2015, 09:42 AM

49 olds 88 coupe

Hey guys i recently purchased a pretty mint 49 olds 88 coupe. i know the brakes are horrible on these cars from what a couple people have told me. is there anything that i can swap into this car with minor fab work.. some one told me that 68-73 nova or camaros are pretty close and you can run the disk brakes off them. any advice will help majorly. also how hard are these cars to lower. im aiming for the rat rod/ lead sled feel of this car.
Old July 28th, 2015, 01:22 PM

Sorry if I posted in the wrong section I'm new here
Old July 28th, 2015, 01:41 PM

Glad you landed here where others with Vintage Oldsmobiles will see your posting. I am not a moderator but am under the impression your first few posts are supposed to be in Newbie section--typically an introduction including the information you posted. I don't think its any major breech of posting etiquette and you provided a "mea culpa" in your second post.

All that said that's a darn nice looking 49. One of the regulars here, Bill, has a lot of experience on his and can probably tell you all about brakes and lowering. You can find his posts on the "46-48 Oldsmobiles How Many Own Them" thread here on Vintage Olds forum.

Just whatever you do don't 'torch' the coil springs to lower. Ruins them and almost never gives an equal drop at all four corners. Cutting them doesn't work since Olds coils have a decreasing radius at both ends. Rear lowering coils are available from Jamco suspension in California. You can look them up through an Internet search. They may also have lowering springs for the front. Dropped spindles may be available and again an Internet search is the quickest way I know to find out if that is so.

Someone out there makes a disc brake conversion for these Oldsmobiles but I don't have the name. Someone on here will likely know and post that information.
Jerry
Old July 28th, 2015, 01:46 PM

Thank you I appreciate all the info.. one more question I've been searching the value of these and I see all types of numbers. What would a car like this sale for in the condition it is in.
Old July 28th, 2015, 02:42 PM

Welcome!

Just did a quick search and found this set up. Don't know anything about them, but it looks like a nice kit.

http://www.autocityclassic.com/oldsm...e-conversions/

Hope this helps,
Dennis
Old July 28th, 2015, 03:53 PM

I saw that kit too but the only problem is when the rotors or pads go. Where would I get new ones. If I could match them up to a different car so I could yo autozone and ask for them that would be great. Lol
Old July 28th, 2015, 04:04 PM

I would suspect the pads would have a part number that could be cross referenced with different manufacturers. Maybe give them a call and ask them about it. I'm betting those calipers are probably made for a more common vehicle.
Old July 28th, 2015, 04:51 PM

What is 'horrible' with the stock brakes system, or what did these couple of guys tell you, specifically? Keep in mind I have had and have driven plenty of both V-8 Oldsmobile and 68-73 Nova cars so am curious on the details of the big, expensive upgrade hoped for here.
Old July 28th, 2015, 05:36 PM

Call supplier and Ask about brake kit

Originally Posted by Sporty45
I would suspect the pads would have a part number that could be cross referenced with different manufacturers. Maybe give them a call and ask them about it. I'm betting those calipers are probably made for a more common vehicle.
__________________________________________________ ____

X2 what Sporty45 said. Just pick up the phone and check them out. I see the guy deals in 58 Chevys so maybe a good chance the stuff is GM except maybe the caliper mounts. If its GM just get the part numbers for rotors, bearings, calipers and pads then call NAPA or another auto store and make sure those numbers are available. Nothing to it. If by some chance the stuff is all made overseas I'd pass on it and look for another kit using GM parts.
If you want to keep drum brakes I think Bill who I mentioned in another post said the larger 98 model brakes would fit on the front and give more surface area and stopping power. Probably wouldn't fade as fast under hard braking.

You also asked about value. To even make a guess I'd have to see photos of the interior, under the hood and in the trunk. What did you find when you looked under the floor mats for rust and under the mat in the trunk also as well as the underside of the car? Hopefully it is as good as it looks in the photos and has the V8. I couldn't tell in the photo with the hood raised but that didn't look like I remember the 49-50 V8 air cleaners looking. I know Olds continued the flathead six cylinder for a year or two after they introduced the V8.
Jerry
Old July 28th, 2015, 06:19 PM

Try disk brake Mike's conversion, he has been doing this for years. .... But before I would go through all this expense and hassle give your stock brakes a chance, they not as bad as you have been told or imagine. I run the stockers and feel comfortable on 3 and 4 thousand mile trips... Here is Mikes website if you have to have disks... Tedd http://www.discbrakemike.com/
Old July 28th, 2015, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by 47 Convertible
__________________________________________________ ____

X2 what Sporty45 said. Just pick up the phone and check them out. I see the guy deals in 58 Chevys so maybe a good chance the stuff is GM except maybe the caliper mounts. If its GM just get the part numbers for rotors, bearings, calipers and pads then call NAPA or another auto store and make sure those numbers are available. Nothing to it. If by some chance the stuff is all made overseas I'd pass on it and look for another kit using GM parts.
If you want to keep drum brakes I think Bill who I mentioned in another post said the larger 98 model brakes would fit on the front and give more surface area and stopping power. Probably wouldn't fade as fast under hard braking.

You also asked about value. To even make a guess I'd have to see photos of the interior, under the hood and in the trunk. What did you find when you looked under the floor mats for rust and under the mat in the trunk also as well as the underside of the car? Hopefully it is as good as it looks in the photos and has the V8. I couldn't tell in the photo with the hood raised but that didn't look like I remember the 49-50 V8 air cleaners looking. I know Olds continued the flathead six cylinder for a year or two after they introduced the V8.
Jerry

Jerry,
The trunk is very clean and the when you lift up the mats it's look really good. Also the bay is look to have been painted and the motor is very clean. I wish I had more pics but the car is in Pennsylvania and I'm in stationed in dc so I only can get to car on like 4 days weekends, sucks to get anything done on it but it's to nice to pass on haha
Old July 28th, 2015, 08:53 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I don't see it mentioned in any of the other posts but the car is not a coupe. It is a Club Sedan often referred to as a sedanette which is the fastback. The body style was available in the 76 series (32,019 produced) and the 88 Series (28,707 produced). It was the second highest production body style behind the 4 door. It is a very desirable car. Surprisingly it seems you don't see that many survivors. I have heard good things about Disk Brake Mike. Keep in mind if you do disk brakes you will probably have to install a swinging brake pedal and new master cylinder.
Old July 29th, 2015, 06:17 AM

Good point Redoldsman,I also thought when I read the post,this car is not a coupe.I researched the different models and also found that they made a fastback in a 4 door which I was not aware of, or had totally forgotten. Nice car pictured in the post,and they were very fast on takeoff. Olds had complaints about the '49 V-8's spinning the tires too easily,so in 50's they blocked the low gear so the car actually took off in second unless you moved the shift lever to the "L" position. Larry
Old July 29th, 2015, 06:27 AM

If it's still all stock, it deserves to stay all stock after 60+ years.
The stock brakes will stop the car just fine.
I just put 4,400 miles on our '37 Olds in the last month on stock brakes. We had no braking issues what so ever, including AZ mountains in 120 degree heat. I did have to adjust them once, but that's normal maintenance on a trip of that length.
I did inquire about the disc brake conversions, and another issue is that most (all?) of these kits will not work with stock wheels.

Jerry
Old July 29th, 2015, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by twintracks
If it's still all stock, it deserves to stay all stock after 60+ years.
The stock brakes will stop the car just fine.
I just put 4,400 miles on our '37 Olds in the last month on stock brakes. We had no braking issues what so ever, including AZ mountains in 120 degree heat. I did have to adjust them once, but that's normal maintenance on a trip of that length.
I did inquire about the disc brake conversions, and another issue is that most (all?) of these kits will not work with stock wheels.

Jerry

i want to keep it stock for a little but i think after awhile it will begin its transformation into a lead sled. i really want to update the brakes just for saftey reasons. living in dc the traffic is horrible and i want to be able to get hard on the brakes incase i need to (cause people in dc cannot drive) also my wife will be with and if i ever take my niece or nephew for a ride i want to make sure i got some stopping power.
Old July 29th, 2015, 12:08 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Fitbkeco04
(cause people in dc cannot drive)
Oh, they can, they just choose not to as they are too busy texting, having telecons, reading the paper, applying makeup, eating breakfast, or pulling some knucklehead maneuver to get in front of one more car before the off ramp.

You MUST bring the car to our All-GM show in Rockville on Aug 8. More info on the show and the Capitol City Rockets is here.
Old July 29th, 2015, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
You MUST bring the car to our All-GM show in Rockville on Aug 8. More info on the show and the Capitol City Rockets is here.

I would love to come with car but it's in pa and I just took a 12 day leave period next time I'll get up ther3 will be in October November to do the odds and ends on it. I'll most likely show up and walk around to see some cars there though
Old August 5th, 2015, 08:22 AM

is there any places that sell sbc motor mounts for these cars or is all hand made mounts
Old August 5th, 2015, 09:04 AM

is there any places that sell sbc motor mounts for these cars or is all hand made mounts

Let this be another (of many) lesson for you must-always-post-know-it-alls who would throw rotten tomatoes at me for my conditioned dim view in advance of what very predictably yet again is another Oldsmobile on a countdown to a 305 Chevy and a for sale sign, in that order. This guy has friends according his posts who are sure the stock brakes are junk, and a Chevy is what he needs. Guys come to this and other similar web sites for assistance in ruining what the passing of time has proven to be very well engineered cars, what further proof is needed to demonstrate the folly of your enablement.

To the owner of the car - You are way over your head - Sell it now and enjoy some clean profit before the spending, sawzall and cutting torch work, please spare the world another hacked Oldsmobile.
Old August 5th, 2015, 09:18 AM
Old(s) Fart

I'll try to be a little more diplomatic.

That's too cool of a car to put a belly-button motor into. The stock 303 can be replaced with a 371, and there are tons of cool intakes and other dress up parts for that motor. The first gen Rocket V8 was THE performance motor of choice in the 1950s. Dare to be different. Don't be a lemming. And please don't use the "it's too expensive" argument. The difference in cost between building an early Olds motor and building a generic SBC will pale in comparison to the costs of the other mods you'll make to the car.

SBCs - just say NO!
Old August 5th, 2015, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by coldwar
Let this be another (of many) lesson for you must-always-post-know-it-alls who would throw rotten tomatoes at me for my conditioned dim view in advance of what very predictably yet again is another Oldsmobile on a countdown to a 305 Chevy and a for sale sign, in that order. This guy has friends according his posts who are sure the stock brakes are junk, and a Chevy is what he needs. Guys come to this and other similar web sites for assistance in ruining what the passing of time has proven to be very well engineered cars, what further proof is needed to demonstrate the folly of your enablement.

To the owner of the car - You are way over your head - Sell it now and enjoy some clean profit before the spending, sawzall and cutting torch work, please spare the world another hacked Oldsmobile.

Hold on a sec...............

Yeah just what I thought title of the car still has my name on it. Whew, that scared me I thought for a second your name might have been on my title. Listen bud, I don't care if you want to keep your car all original, its not my car to tell you what to do. Im pretty sure I can do whatever the hell I want to my car. I WILL chop this car , I WILL upgrade the brakes and suspension , I WILL slam this car on the ground , and I WILL put a 350 with a 5speed trans in it (YES that means cutting holes in the floor) . I bought this car for me. I paid money out of my pocket that I worked for to build this car. I AM BUILDING THIS CAR FOR ME AND NO ONE ELSE. I could give a **** less about any kind of profit I will make off this car. I want a lead sled and that's what i'm going to do. And as for saying Im in way over my head? I grew up in a family of mechanics I have friends that make fab work into art. so me being over my head could never happen. If you would like to buy the from me please make an offer so you can do what you want to my car. But don't try to insult me on this page saying I need to follow your ways of having an oldsmobile.

Thank you for your concern of my lead sled project.
Sincerely,
Kenny
Old August 5th, 2015, 10:46 AM

This is a public forum. Sort of like a bath house, and in a manner of speaking everyone is naked. Based only on your apparent level of experience, you will screw your car up as many others have. You don't like another opinion based on experience in this setting that's tough $hit. Always some guy full of misdirected enthusiasm or dollar signs in his eyes, to **** in the waters from which others drink.

I have eight 1952 Oldsmobile cars alone, and have had way over 100 cars at my age of 54. I do not mention this to try and convince anyone of my knowledge or my level of expertise, but you might learn however something from others who have done what you think you are going to do. And it isn't just the guys who wander in here every other week dropping turds, it's the same deal at car chows, cruises, etc. Everyone has a internet connection, or a subscription to a glossy mag printed in China. Or one car in their teens and now one in their retirement and yet cannot be convinced of the certain failure of their plans.

BTW your car appears to be a 76 Oldsmobile, not a 88, big difference in parts and value. The VIN tag should list year, then either a 7 or a 8, then serial number. 497##### for a 76. With the six and a H-M trans it will have a practical top speed in good tune of about 70.

Changing your stock self energizing drum brakes to Brembo, Baer or Corvette zee oh anythings will not save any occupants from injury while riding in this car, or compensate for bad driving. 1973 Nova disc brakes, LMAO, gives you nothing but 'disc brakes' bragging rights. What a squandering of resources, I drove that GM 70's crap when new so I DO know, with upgraded frictions and DOT 4 fluid I might add.

I tried to throw you a life preserver early in the thread, which went unnoticed. No, my name is not on your title, but it might be at a later date. I have and will continue to buy cars bought for almost nothing from guys who buy, then take apart, then sell in pieces at tremendous loss.

The Hokey *** Message Board awaits you. You will find everyone there anxious to aid your build idea or pat your back in your almost certain setbacks.

Last edited by coldwar; August 5th, 2015 at 10:49 AM. Reason: spelling
Old August 5th, 2015, 11:01 AM

OHH I almost forgot, I am quite sure I have seen that car at shows here in north central Ohio but years ago. I recall the 1953 mimetic wire wheel covers. It made it this far in stock form, which isn't surprising.
Old August 5th, 2015, 04:47 PM

I needed a lecture/rant from you?

[QUOTE=coldwar;845299]Let this be another (of many) lesson for you must-always-post-know-it-alls who would throw rotten tomatoes at me for my conditioned dim view in advance of what very predictably yet again is another Oldsmobile on a countdown to a 305 Chevy and a for sale sign, in that order. This guy has friends according his posts who are sure the stock brakes are junk, and a Chevy is what he needs. Guys come to this and other similar web sites for assistance in ruining what the passing of time has proven to be very well engineered cars, what further proof is needed to demonstrate the folly of your enablement.

Who set you up as the Mullah of Everything Oldsmobile and gave you the right to issue a Fatwah on those who don't do it your way? Jeez, cool your jets. Its just a damn piece of machinery a bit better than some and not as good as others. If you don't think so you need to get your head out from under the hood and take a look at 95 percent of the population out there that either never knew the name Oldsmobile or got by just fine owning some other make.

Joe's reply makes your same point regarding powertrain, offers an alternative but doesn't offend. While you, Mister PR Guy, have done the opposite. If the object was to change the OP's behavior guess whose advice might have been listened to.
Old August 5th, 2015, 05:12 PM

Well I'm no mullah I won't throw that around in these times. Compromise never got anyone anything on the basis of strongly held principles. This guy is just the latest and I'm sick of these attempts at rehabilitation. He wants this for his Oldsmobile? Great then, let him go to a board where the tone is at that level. And I don't need appointment by you or anyone to render my view. I'm satisfied although a bit surprised only one person meaning me is consistently willing to take a moderating tone in beating back the hacking masses. In your specific case I have ignored your build, and don't compare any part of me to anything Islam. That's your poor demonstrated level of social adjustment.

Last edited by coldwar; August 5th, 2015 at 05:16 PM. Reason: spelling
Old August 6th, 2015, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
I'll try to be a little more diplomatic.

That's too cool of a car to put a belly-button motor into. The stock 303 can be replaced with a 371, and there are tons of cool intakes and other dress up parts for that motor. The first gen Rocket V8 was THE performance motor of choice in the 1950s. Dare to be different. Don't be a lemming. And please don't use the "it's too expensive" argument. The difference in cost between building an early Olds motor and building a generic SBC will pale in comparison to the costs of the other mods you'll make to the car.

SBCs - just say NO!
Joe, i would like to put a rocket motor in it, but finding them around where i live is probably not going to happen. The reason i said to put a 350 in is because a buddy of mine is a big gm guy who has some spares sitting around in his shop so it would be really cheap for me to get one haha. i really do like the idea of having the olds v-8 in the car but when its comes to me having alot of time to search for one thats where it gets tricky for me. I would like to have the car done or close to being done before i deploy again. so im trying to do alot in a little amount of time. also thank you for not jamming a one sided opinion down my throat haha.
Old August 6th, 2015, 09:20 AM
Old(s) Fart

Joe, i would like to put a rocket motor in it, but finding them around where i live is probably not going to happen. The reason i said to put a 350 in is because a buddy of mine is a big gm guy who has some spares sitting around in his shop so it would be really cheap for me to get one haha. i really do like the idea of having the olds v-8 in the car but when its comes to me having alot of time to search for one thats where it gets tricky for me. I would like to have the car done or close to being done before i deploy again. so im trying to do alot in a little amount of time. also thank you for not jamming a one sided opinion down my throat haha.
I understand, but just to clarify, you buddy is a big CHEVY guy. Chevy people don't understand that a "GM 350" isn't necessarily a Chevy 350 and apparently only only tool they know how to use the SBC hammer.

Heck I've got Olds motor cores here in NoVA, but they're second gen V8s. I've probably got a 403 I could part with. Might be able to find a first gen Rocket V8 from someone in the local club.