Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

37 Oil leak

Search this Thread

Old March 28th, 2012, 08:33 PM

37 Oil leak

Another problem I found! I've got a decent oil leak coming at the rear of the motor, an inline 6. I haven't put it up on a rack to try and find it but suspect the rear main seal. I can get a rope seal but was wondering if anyone is making a modern type seal for these inlines. I've never done a rope seal but can it be done by dropping the pan without removing the motor? Does the trans need removed to do this as well? Thanks
Old March 29th, 2012, 09:03 AM

First of all I know little about a 37 but if you can get the pan out of the way there should be no reason why you shouldn't be able to loosen the main journals and worm the top seal out.. I would see no reason to remove the transmission unless there is something very different about a 37 Olds compared to a early Chevy or Buick. I know of no specialty rubber seal made for the early Olds, I think they start at 49 for the 303 engine but someone may know of a seal made for something else that will adapt to your engine. And as far as installation of rope seals for me they are difficult to get perfect( no oil leak at all) but are always much better than they were before.I always seem to have a little seep..Just my thoughts on the subject... Tedd