Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

1957 olds water valve control

Search this Thread

Old January 10th, 2021, 04:12 PM

1957 olds water valve control

I’ve started to go through my vacuum lines on ‘57 98 convertible. I’ve found that I’m missing the diaphragm and bracket that should be mounted in the engine compartment against the firewall on the RH side. Attached is a pic of the shop manual showing the “water valve control”. Does anyone know where I could find these parts? I can’t seem to find them anywhere. I’m not really sure how it all goes together.

thanks,
pete

Last edited by ivmachine; January 12th, 2021 at 03:27 PM. Reason: spelling
Old January 10th, 2021, 05:25 PM

Have to look at my 98 conv now.
Old January 10th, 2021, 06:45 PM

I believe it is called a Ranco valve or at least it is on 54-56 and that one appears to be a vacuum actuated which is different than the earlier cars. Don't throw anything away they are hard to find but can be rebuilt if you have a core. On the earlier cars you would find it under the dash on the passenger side in the air box and if it is like a 54-56 it has to come out from the dash side after the heater hoses have been removed That is if it is anything like a 55...Tedd
Old January 10th, 2021, 08:50 PM

Tedd,

I have the heater control valve, but I don’t have the vacuum diaphragm or the bracket that holds it in place. It’s missing but I have no idea how to get the heater to work unless I find a replacement
Old January 12th, 2021, 02:54 PM

There is a fellow from Tennessee on eBay that you can find if you search for “1957Oldsmobile Parts preowned”
He has a number of 1957 and 1958 Oldsmobiles that he is parting out.
He should have that diaphragm water control and the bracket.
You might have to text him that picture from the service manual.
Good luck!
Bill

Last edited by Nomadoc; January 12th, 2021 at 02:58 PM.
Old January 12th, 2021, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Nomadoc
There is a fellow from Tennessee on eBay that you can find if you search for “1957Oldsmobile Parts preowned”
He has a number of 1957 and 1958 Oldsmobiles that he is parting out.
He should have that diaphragm valve.
You might have to text him that picture from the service manual.
Good luck!
Bill
Thanks Bill!
Old January 12th, 2021, 03:05 PM

Here is the number for the yard man at the Tennesse site from above post. Kenny is a nice guy to deal with.

Kenny Vetrovec
865 805 8495

or the owner Glen
865–805–3186
Old January 12th, 2021, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by zzcruzin
Here is the number for the yard man at the Tennesse site from above post. Kenny is a nice guy to deal with.

Kenny Vetrovec
865 805 8495

or the owner Glen
865–805–3186
Thank you. I'll contact them. Without going into a big sob story I inherited this partially restored '57 98 convertible from my dad when he passed away. What was restored was done poorly and I'm finding there are a number of parts that I dont have. I have no experience working on cars and am slowly learning, but I made a promise to him I'd get it running. I think I've memorized the shop manual I've read it so many times. You guys have been very helpful over the years. Appreciate the help.
Old January 12th, 2021, 03:51 PM

In '58 Olds moved the Ranco valve from the dash mounting to a 'screw into the manifold device' similar to later cars. If you can't find the correct one, go with that.
Old January 12th, 2021, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by ivmachine
Thank you. I'll contact them. Without going into a big sob story I inherited this partially restored '57 98 convertible from my dad when he passed away. What was restored was done poorly and I'm finding there are a number of parts that I dont have. I have no experience working on cars and am slowly learning, but I made a promise to him I'd get it running. I think I've memorized the shop manual I've read it so many times. You guys have been very helpful over the years. Appreciate the help.
I feel your pain,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,some what anyway. I have the same body style and it.s not a cream puff, but all there. I am just trying to make it road worthy. But patience is wearing thin. I might be selling it in the next few weeks an move on to my H.T. Good luck with yours. Convertibles are great when running and driveable and are a premium.
Old January 12th, 2021, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by zzcruzin
I feel your pain,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,some what anyway. I have the same body style and it.s not a cream puff, but all there. I am just trying to make it road worthy. But patience is wearing thin. I might be selling it in the next few weeks an move on to my H.T. Good luck with yours. Convertibles are great when running and driveable and are a premium.
Thank you. It's been an experience. I've spent an embarrassing amount on local restoration shops who claim to know what they are doing only to get a car with non functioning brakes, generator, secondary combustion in the exhaust that almost caught the car on fire among many many many other problems. They couldn't even set up the carbs. Heck it has a 58 instrument cluster and steering wheel in it that I need to change out this winter. I want to get the heater and vacuum lines all lined up since I'm taking all that out and will have access to everything. I just gave up on throwing money at it and have been tackling it piece by piece. The car runs pretty well and stops so I'm making progress. I've resigned to the fact that I'll never find things like bump outs above the back seat arm rest to hide the conv. top knuckle and parts like the boot clip that goes on the back of the seat. If the car didn't have sentimental value I'd sell it buy another one in a heart beat. Anyways, thank you for your help. Here's what I'm working with.

Old January 12th, 2021, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Yellowstatue
In '58 Olds moved the Ranco valve from the dash mounting to a 'screw into the manifold device' similar to later cars. If you can't find the correct one, go with that.
I heard back from the Southgate in TN so hopefully that does the trick. Stupid question, but what does the Diaphragm actually do? I see in the vacuum diagram it goes to a "T" which connects to both the heater control and ventilation control.
Old January 12th, 2021, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by ivmachine
Thank you. It's been an experience. I've spent an embarrassing amount on local restoration shops who claim to know what they are doing only to get a car with non functioning brakes, generator, secondary combustion in the exhaust that almost caught the car on fire among many many many other problems. They couldn't even set up the carbs. Heck it has a 58 instrument cluster and steering wheel in it that I need to change out this winter. I want to get the heater and vacuum lines all lined up since I'm taking all that out and will have access to everything. I just gave up on throwing money at it and have been tackling it piece by piece. The car runs pretty well and stops so I'm making progress. I've resigned to the fact that I'll never find things like bump outs above the back seat arm rest to hide the conv. top knuckle and parts like the boot clip that goes on the back of the seat. If the car didn't have sentimental value I'd sell it buy another one in a heart beat. Anyways, thank you for your help. Here's what I'm working with.
Wow,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,That looks very nice and decent. That's a keeper for sure. And just to add,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,not many shops know what they are doing anymore. I trust no one. It's the old saying,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,," if you want it done right,,,then do it yourself."

Last edited by zzcruzin; January 12th, 2021 at 04:45 PM.
Old January 13th, 2021, 08:43 AM

I've never had a 57 so this is speculation but it looks like it opens and closes the heater flap, could be wrong on this....Tedd
Old January 13th, 2021, 06:06 PM

Hey Pete,
That's a nice looking ride!
I know your frustration about finding missing parts, especially compared to Trifive Chevys and others where virtually all of the parts are available with a few clicks on the internet.

The Water Valve Control retracts a rod that transits the firewall through the water valve

The rod (seen above) contacts a flange on the water valve and, as far as I can tell from the service manual, acts as the Heater On/Off switch. The cable attachment to the water valve varies the temperature.

I was interested by your quest for the missing rear arm rest "bump outs" on your convertible as I have the same problem.
Someone in the past brazed some sheet metal to my car's arm rests to act in a similar fashion but I would like to see a picture of your car's unmolested convertible arm rest.
I'm not really sure that my car's arm rests are from a convertible as it appears that someone used a cutting torch to make the opening for the top mechanism and the mounting brackets don't line up with the holes.
I'm thinking I may try to fabricate the correct shaped bump outs but they appear, in pictures, to be a little complex with a decreasing radius curve as they go from top to bottom.

One step at a time....
Bill
Old January 13th, 2021, 07:34 PM

Hey Bill,

thanks for the explanation. Here is what is installed there now. I’m assuming there should be a rod inside that silver nut that connects to the diaphragm.

as for the convertible bump outs mine were fabricated incorrectly. There shouldn’t be a top on it where my finger is and the convertible linkage hits it when the top is open. I believe the bottom part is original. Perhaps we can find a way to fabricate 2 sets?

Old January 14th, 2021, 06:59 AM

Yes, the rod passes through that hole with the nut on it.
Your bump out is interesting. Here's a picture I found of what the original should look like

I sent you a PM with some suggestions on modifying the ones you have.
Bill

Last edited by Nomadoc; January 14th, 2021 at 07:02 AM.
Old January 14th, 2021, 08:07 AM

Not sure if this helps Pete. This is my original 57 Conv 98.

Old January 14th, 2021, 08:22 AM

That does help. Thank you for the pics. Mine are clearly wrong.
Old January 14th, 2021, 09:07 AM

The picture that Nomad posted looks right also.
Old January 14th, 2021, 09:08 AM

Nomad's picture also looks right.
Old January 14th, 2021, 10:27 AM

That's not fair Mark, you have ALL the good parts!

Bill
Old January 14th, 2021, 11:50 AM

Bill, i am sure your conv. is in a whole lot better shape than mine. I am just nickel and dimeing away on it, trying to just make it road worthy. Mark.