Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

1950 olds 88 coupe floor braces

Search this Thread

Old July 11th, 2014, 11:20 AM

1950 olds 88 coupe floor braces

Im looking where to buy floor braces. EMS don't carry them. does anyone know where I can find them?
Old July 11th, 2014, 12:17 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

That is probably going to be a tough one. You might see what you can find for a 50 Chevy and see if they work since the bodies are pretty much the same.
Old July 11th, 2014, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
That is probably going to be a tough one. You might see what you can find for a 50 Chevy and see if they work since the bodies are pretty much the same.
Part of the floor may be the same but the hump area should be different because of the hydramatic that was offered by Olds and not by Chevy.

Unless this is going to be a concourse type build it may be easier to build them from scratch that is if you can't find a donor car for the floor... Just my thoughts ...Tedd
Old July 16th, 2014, 11:22 AM

Some of the floor pan body braces, where they intersect with the rocker panels were badly rusted away in my '49 88, as was the front portion of the floor pan.
Reputedly, the GM bodies, Chevy, Olds and Pontiac are basically the same.. I purchased patch panels from EMS, which were basically for a Chevy.. EMC has two floor pan options, stock and altered for a 350 trans. I opted for the 350 trans pans..The panels/braces needed a little tweaking to get a good fit.
The quality of the EMS panels, and the steel they use is so high, they lend themselves very nicely to modifications..
A word of caution... Before you weld anything up, make sure the doors are properly hung, and that everything is properly fitted together. lightly tack weld things together, then check the alignment of everything..
I found out the hard way that if the floor pan and body braces have been rusted out for a considerable amount of time, the body has shifted around. If this misalignment is not corrected you will have problems with the final assembly of the body, especially the hood and front sheet metal... Bill