Torque Converter problem

Search this Thread

Old June 24th, 2010, 06:32 PM

Torque Converter problem

Ok so I finally got back to my rebuild. I just installed the engine and now I am starting to put it all together. I bought a new torque converter and it does not line up correctly. The weight on the flywheel is in the way of one of the bolts, it will not sit flush. I can line up and bolt all the bolts but it is not quite right. Is it ok to shim behind the other two bolts to keep it out even? Not too sure what else to do, anyone run into this before?

Thanks

Dave
Old June 25th, 2010, 04:17 PM

Yup, you can shim that chebby? convertor with washers if you still have enough clearance - 1/8-3/16" between the shims and the flanges before drawing it up and tightening the bolts. If not, get an Olds convertor with the raised pads to clear the weight. I tweeked my flexplate by not having the clearance needed, and had to replace both it and the convertor. Luckely, I didn't trash the trans pump at the same time! It only ran for about 1 minute.
Old June 26th, 2010, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by ziff396
Yup, you can shim that chebby? convertor with washers if you still have enough clearance - 1/8-3/16" between the shims and the flanges before drawing it up and tightening the bolts. If not, get an Olds convertor with the raised pads to clear the weight. I tweeked my flexplate by not having the clearance needed, and had to replace both it and the convertor. Luckely, I didn't trash the trans pump at the same time! It only ran for about 1 minute.
SO its a Chebby converter? I had no idea there were differences. Shows what I know
I got it from the same shop that rebuilt the trans, you would think he would know better than to sell me a chebby converter for an BOP transmission.
I am wondering if I already messed up the flywheel. I lined up the bolt holes and bolted the first two, then turned the motor from the crank bolt and then noticed I was not sitting flat, I removed the two bolts and tried to see it it would line up in another combination but it would not. I cannot tell at this point if it is now warped or bent.
Old November 4th, 2012, 04:40 PM

Im having the same problem. I'm going to the trans shop in the morning to trade my tc in.
Old November 9th, 2012, 06:41 PM
jfb

that is a real shame dude i grinded down the pads on the torque converter and had no problems.