71 SX T400 clean up

Search this Thread

Old January 24th, 2019, 05:50 PM

71 SX T400 clean up

As one of my winter projects on my 71 SX convertible, I have removed the transmission to clean up and reseal. I found the OD code on the passenger side and from what I can tell it seems to have an orange/red color to it. In contrast, my 71 442 has a blueish OG color. I know there are few 71 SX owners on this list but can anyone confirm this orange color?
Also there is a number 3 preceding the OD, while on my 442, a 1 is in front of the OG. Would this be a plant or shift designation?
Regardless, what a time consuming job, degreasing and scraping away the surface corrosion on the aluminum. I'm about half way done.

Old February 9th, 2019, 12:45 PM
Alan Reedy

Wow, that was some dirty work. You did an awesome job of cleaning that up.
Old February 9th, 2019, 12:55 PM

Thanks, got it put back in last weekend and no leaks is the best part.
Old February 9th, 2019, 01:03 PM
Alan Reedy

Awesome job. By the way, that SX in Las Vegas last week that had the price dropped to $14,000 you commented on stating it was probably a mistake because he was asking $24,000. It was not a mistake and I bought it. It's in transit now. I was going to buy it for $20,000 but was undecided. When he dropped the price it was a no brainer, I just had to pick it up.
Old February 9th, 2019, 01:10 PM

Thanks again. There is another Brian Smith on one if these Olds sites, but that wasn't me commenting about the price, but congrats and well done. So you are reliving the SX experience after all these years. TIs this two you will have? I still have my hardtop from 1987 and the convertible from 2017 and the 442 from 2010, all 71s. They just found me. 😁
Old February 9th, 2019, 02:22 PM
Alan Reedy

Sorry about the confusion. I had sold the Green one in my profile picture almost 20 years ago and tried to buy it back but the owner doesn't want to sell it. He seems to think the car is super special or something because of all the publicity it received when most people never even heard of the SX model yet. It is a nice car, but there's nothing special about it. I've been looking very seriously for about a year now to find an original W32 car in real nice condition. I prefer a hardtop with vinyl, but would settle for a convertible if It was the right one. I am also looking for one without A/C if possible. It's not a deal breaker, but non A/C cars get priority with me. I will continue looking for a real W32 car even though I just bought this SX to play with for the time being. This car has been advertised and promoted as a W32 car for the last 20 years up until I just looked into it. Sadly to say, I had to be the one to inform the owner it is not, nor was it ever a W32. But it is a beautiful numbers matching L33 car in awesome condition with some very nice modifications made to it. My plan is to make it look a little more stock under the hood and do a color change away from the Azure blue to deeper Twilight blue. Then of course add bigger tires for sure. LOL.......Here's a few pics of it.

Old February 9th, 2019, 02:50 PM

Wow, what a score. I agree on the color change, Twilight blue has no equal. A few minor under the hood items would certainly bring it back to a more original state. Back in 89 I bought a Twilight Blue 70 SX W32 in Florida for a friend of mine. We drove it home here to Nova Scotia, but he sold it a few years ago to the owners of a GM dealership for their private collection. It has the two tone blue interior, a very pretty car. I have the build sheet for it and sales and order forms in my possession. If I can find some pictures of it I'll send along.
Enjoy your new purchase when it arrives and good luck on your search. At least you have something very nice to fiddle with and drive in the meantime.
Brian
Old February 9th, 2019, 03:31 PM
Alan Reedy

I have been researching the SX cars for a very long time. I have amassed quite a selection of different build sheets from them to use as data sources. I would love to have a copy of the Build sheet, on that car your friend had, in my collection. If you could show a copy here along with other documents that would be awesome. Speaking of Twilight Blue, a favorite of mine, Here is a before and after shot of a '70 442 I restored back in the 80's as well.

Old February 9th, 2019, 04:47 PM

Beautiful 442. White top and interiors really show off a color. Quite a contrast between the two pictures.
I'll dig out the build sheet in a bit. This car was built and sold new in New Jersey before ending up in Hollywood, Florida.
Old February 9th, 2019, 05:31 PM
Alan Reedy

OMG!!!! I would take that blue one in a heartbeat. With the exception of A/C, it ticks all my boxes. Please pass on any info where it is located so that I may try and pry it away from their collection. LOL. I would if it was possible.
Old February 9th, 2019, 05:36 PM

That's a fantastic looking Twilight Blue SX Brian! Love the blue interior.

Terry
Old February 9th, 2019, 05:38 PM
Alan Reedy

Terry you stay away from it. LOL
Old February 9th, 2019, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by asx455
Terry you stay away from it. LOL
Funny! Still V Code-focused for now and I may be sending my SX out for body and paint soon. My lovely Viking Blue ‘72 Supreme may be endangered, as much as I hate that thought.

Terry
Old February 9th, 2019, 06:04 PM
Alan Reedy

I wondering what that is at the front of the console.
Old February 9th, 2019, 07:04 PM

Do you know of the rocket circle they gave away on new 57s I believe? I obtained a few and made a base and added our applicable initials as a personalized touch to our cars. Many years ago, kind of silly. That's what's sitting on the console.
Attached is the build sheet and sales order. My friend switched from SS2s to SS1s and I added a tilt column to it.
The only thing against the car is that the frame was cracked under the crossmember and rewelded but the steering box didn't quite line up perfectly making the steering a little off in feel. My friend never realized the extent to which it wasn't quite right.
Old February 9th, 2019, 07:34 PM
Alan Reedy

That is some solid documentation right there. You couldn't ask for anything better. How the hell did the frame get cracked under the cross member? Please don't tell me this car was at one time a rust bucket.

Also I think thats great that you added a little personal touch to your cars. I do the same with my SX's. I add a SX emblem to the front grill of mine as my own personal signature to the car. Maybe you seen one before.