th400 downshift question #2

Search this Thread

Old March 4th, 2018, 10:48 AM

th400 downshift question #2

I am having a problem with the kick down switch in a Olds 442 1968 with a TH400. Please pardon my terminology.
Please see attached photos.

The gas pedal arm or rod pushes the kick down switch arm but the shift rectangle bar doesn't move far enough to shift the trans. I tested this by having my friend drive the car and I reached down as passenger and moved the rectangular arm all the way to the end and the transmission kicked down. Is there a setting or a piece I need to add to make this shift down when accelerating?

I can be driving the car and press the gas pedal all the way to the floor and the pedal arm doesn't kick down the switch.
What am I missing?

Thanks,
Guy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_8566.jpg (32.0 KB, 25 views)
Old March 4th, 2018, 10:56 AM

I don't remember any adjustment to the switch or bracket. You might check for an obstruction under the carpet that prevents the pedal from being "floored". If not that you may need to very slightly bend the switch bracket towards the firewall & try it again. Maybe take before & after pictures to help you judge how much you bend it if you choose to do that.
Old March 4th, 2018, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by oldspackrat
I don't remember any adjustment to the switch or bracket. You might check for an obstruction under the carpet that prevents the pedal from being "floored". If not that you may need to very slightly bend the switch bracket towards the firewall & try it again. Maybe take before & after pictures to help you judge how much you bend it if you choose to do that.
Thanks OldsPackRat, I will try making a bend in the bracket. I checked the carpet and floor mat that wasn't obstructing the pedal.
Old March 4th, 2018, 12:52 PM

You should not need to bend the bracket. The switch is adjustable. With the accelerator pedal released, push the plunger forward until it is flush with the switch housing. Then push the accelerator pedal to the floor, you will hear the switch ratchet as it adjusts. You can also test the operation with a 12 volt test light to the terminal with the ignition switch on and the engine off. One side will have power all of the time with the ignition on and the other should have power when the pedal is floored.
Old March 4th, 2018, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by geardoc66
You should not need to bend the bracket. The switch is adjustable. With the accelerator pedal released, push the plunger forward until it is flush with the switch housing. Then push the accelerator pedal to the floor, you will hear the switch ratchet as it adjusts. You can also test the operation with a 12 volt test light to the terminal with the ignition switch on and the engine off. One side will have power all of the time with the ignition on and the other should have power when the pedal is floored.
Geardoc66,
wow thank you!! this is great information. I'd rather not bend the bracket if possible.
Thanks again.
Guy
Old March 4th, 2018, 04:10 PM

Instead of bending the bracket, take a very small hose clamp and place it on the switch so the screw part of the clamp hits the pedal arm. Cheap, easily adjustable, and no risk of breaking or screwing up something expensive or hard to find.
Old March 5th, 2018, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by matt69olds
Instead of bending the bracket, take a very small hose clamp and place it on the switch so the screw part of the clamp hits the pedal arm. Cheap, easily adjustable, and no risk of breaking or screwing up something expensive or hard to find.
Matt,
this is a a great idea!
I'll do this if the setting above doesn't work.

Thank you!!
Old March 5th, 2018, 09:34 AM

That switch looks identical to the kickdown switch used on my '68 w/ the Jetaway. My switch had a piece of rubber hose around the plastic arm of the switch that acted like a spacer or cushion between the gas pedal arm and the switch. That appears to be missing on your switch, and may be the reason it isn't getting full actuation when your gas pedal is on the floor. Over time, that little hose-spacer would dry out and lose its grip on the plastic shaft of the switch and tend to slide off.

The hose clamp trick suggested by matt69olds should work too.