Muncie 4-speed and back up light switch

Search this Thread

Old September 24th, 2017, 06:32 PM

Muncie 4-speed and back up light switch

Does anyone have a diagram of the wiring for the backup lights and typical switch used on a Munsie 4-speed circa 66 to 68 A-body. I don't find the wiring diagrams in the CSM very clear for a novice. What are the inner workings of the switch. Is it strictly on/off. There are no instructions on installing the switch and adjusting. Anybody care to comment and give some instruction.

Attached is a somewhat typical application.

Thanks
Wayne

Old September 25th, 2017, 08:38 AM
Old(s) Fart

Yes, it is just an on/off switch (what else would it be?). It makes contact when the shift linkage is in reverse. The dash harness has two green wires that to to the NSS on the steering column. Just extend those down to the switch on the trans. No, since it is just an on/off switch, it does not matter which wire is which.
Old September 25th, 2017, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Yes, it is just an on/off switch (what else would it be?). It makes contact when the shift linkage is in reverse. The dash harness has two green wires that to to the NSS on the steering column. Just extend those down to the switch on the trans. No, since it is just an on/off switch, it does not matter which wire is which.
There is an extension harness that goes from the trans mounted switch to the dash harness and is available from M&H Electric.The extension harness has a water tight rubber connector that connects it to the switch. You will also need to put a jumper on the 2 purple wires that plugged into the neutral switch on the column to complete the circuit. This is provided you're changing a column shift to a floor mounted shift. You may be just trying to get the parts that may be missing on your car now but I just gave you the info in case you're doing a conversion,
Old September 25th, 2017, 09:09 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 66-3X2 442
You will also need to put a jumper on the 2 purple wires that plugged into the neutral switch on the column to complete the circuit.
Good point. The later cars use a clutch safety switch that the purple wires plug into, but 68-earlier use the jumper.
Old September 25th, 2017, 01:24 PM

Thanks all. So here is what I have to do on this project.

I needed the harness for the B/U lights that goes from the bumper and is attached to to pinch weld and fed thru the body into the trunk and is inserted into the rear harness. I have that and have seen the instructions to drop the bumper for install and at the same time insert new rear bumper fillers.

I found Chevy instructions on setting up the switch on a Muncie so I have read that and also noted the gage pin for setting nuetral. I will purchase the proper switch.

There is an egsisting harness coming from the dash area that has the water proof ending that has two green wires that Mike mentioned. Should I test it somehow?

I know the purple wires but I see no jumper.

Anybody have the jumper or know where I can get one.

This was good information. Much appreciated. I need a lead on the jumper insert.

Thanks
Wayne

PS: This car is a 4-speed car but I believe the the steering column was a replacement maybe a later year which has a switch on it that is not connected to anything?