syncing back drive linkage

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2017, 12:10 PM

syncing back drive linkage

Replacements for my missing back drive parts are coming soon. Any tips on syncing it up properly when I re-attach it? Do I just put it in reverse, move the rod until the reverse light comes on, and then make the final attachment of the linkage to the bracket on the tranny?
Old May 10th, 2017, 08:10 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by sheltonoil
Replacements for my missing back drive parts are coming soon. Any tips on syncing it up properly when I re-attach it? Do I just put it in reverse, move the rod until the reverse light comes on, and then make the final attachment of the linkage to the bracket on the tranny?
Assemble the parts. Leave the adjusting bolt loose. Put the trans in PARK. Turn the key to RUN. Grab the collar on the steering column that rotates with the shifter and turn it all the way counterclockwise. Turn the key to LOCK. Tighten the adjusting bolt. Now verify that the car starts in PARK and NEUTRAL. Verify that the backup lights come on in REVERSE. If not, adjust the NSS.
Old May 19th, 2017, 08:30 AM

Joe - thanks for your post, and sorry for my delayed response; I just got around to the job. Everything installed nicely according to your instructions, but still no reverse lights, and the car can shift even if key is in lock position. Starts in Park and Neutral, just as before. I should clarify that it's a floor shift, but my understanding is that shouldn't make a difference as far as hooking up the back drive linkage is concerned. The long bar IS connected at the top to the column, and I can hear it "moving" the column when I shift. But it doesn't seem to be affecting anything. Thoughts? And side question: is the NSS in the steering column, or somewhere in the engine bay?
Old May 19th, 2017, 08:37 AM
Old(s) Fart

Is the steering wheel locked when the key is in LOCK? Does the collar on the steering column rotate when the key is in LOCK? If so, the P.O. may have removed the locking pin in the steering column, which would cause this problem. The NSS is at the base of the steering column, under the dash. Check to see if the two purple wires are plugged in or if they are jumpered.